PDA

View Full Version : Kung fu side kick/ Karateside kick Difference?

Bladerunner
08-17-2003, 07:42 PM
IS their a difference between the two?, my praying mantis teacher makes us do the sidekick while almost facing forward, like a front kick but the foot is kinda towards the side like a side kick. BEcause i very much like the karate style sidekick, but my sifu saids its too tense and could leave me off balance. But he kungfu one which you face forward doesn't seem like it would deliver as much power. So what do you guys think?

rogue
08-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Sounds like semantics. Same name for two different kicks. Learn both.

SevenStar
08-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Two different kicks - I've been taught a side snap kick and a side thrust kick. Both are sidekicks, but they are executed differently.

fa_jing
08-17-2003, 09:26 PM
There are 36,172 variations of the sidekick. 31,297 of these are known to be deadly.

SevenStar
08-17-2003, 11:00 PM
of those 31,297 I know 31,295 and have used them in challenge matches.

Oso
08-18-2003, 03:17 AM
I will be patenting #36,173 soon. Look for it in a store near you.

Judge Pen
08-18-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Two different kicks - I've been taught a side snap kick and a side thrust kick. Both are sidekicks, but they are executed differently.

I've learned both kicks as well. I alsow worked out with an isshin ryu (sp) practitioner in college and she told me that they focus on striking with the outer edge (blade) of the foot when kicking whereas I was taught to focus on striking with the heel of my foot when throwing a side kick.

Which number is the side thrust kick with the edge of your foot? Is it patened yet?

Sho
08-18-2003, 06:12 AM
We chamber the leg onto the side, so that we turn 180 degrees, and then execute it by thrusting. Another way is to chamber the leg as if you were doing a front kick and then snap it straight away from there without turning 180 degrees in the chambering phase, but instead using waist power simultaneously with the snap (so you turn 180 degrees after chambering). The latter one is similar to Karate's side kick.

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Side of foot - blade of foot

chen zhen
08-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Dont forget heel.
:)

'MegaPoint
08-18-2003, 08:00 AM
The modern karate side kick is started from a knee-up chambered posititon. The traditional Okinawan side-kick (especially Shuri te derived styles) is done like a front snap kick but the edge of the foot or heel strikes the target. It is the classic whip kick and it is always done below the waist.

The Japanese method was adopted from the many Okinawans who were trying to adapt deadly street effective techs to the classroom. Many Okinawans refer to this karate (i.e.: Kyokushin, Shotokan, Wado Ryu, ****o Ryu, Japanese Goju Ryu and even most Okinawan systems nowadays) as "schoolboy karate". The horizontal fist punch and the chambered kick came from this. This makes things predictable and safer. Techs are slower and telegraphed when you chamber or completely torque your fist. Plus, it's easy to teach someone how to kick/strike (school age kids) in this step-by-step manner.

Originally the difference between the Okinawan Ti kicks and the Southern Chuan Fa kicks were nil. It just depended upon which school of Chinese thought it came from. Sports, money and dissemination of an Okinawan-influenced, stolen artform were the reason for the delineation in China's and Japan's techs. What the Japanese do is not real Kara-te. It is organized fun and enterprise.

If you are talking about Japanese karate then there is a difference in the Chinese method vs. the Nipponese one. If you are comparing styles like Seito Shorin and Uechi Ryu (Okinawan karate styles with a lot of Chinese flavor) then there is no difference. Whip kicking, not chambering and thrusting, is the norm, as are kicks below the waist. Bye.

Merryprankster
08-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Bladerunner

all of you are pathetic and arrogant, you really think what any of you say is gonna change anyones mind, the human reaction is just that way, stupid and pretty much ****ed up. ****ing negros

here's an example of Bladerunner's eloquence from another thread.

Enjoy.

Oso
08-18-2003, 08:40 AM
thanks for the heads up, MP.

still turned out to be an informative thread though no matter his intentions:)

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Jesus Im tired...

Agreed that more power comes from chambering the side kick first, as opposed to using it more like a snap front kick turned sideways, slower tho...

shaolinboxer
08-18-2003, 09:41 AM
regardless of power, if your sidekick comes right up off the floor and your knee is lower then your waist when you begin to extend, it's way to easy to get trapped. unlike the back kick, which really bangs when is comes right up off of the floor.

Oso
08-18-2003, 10:09 AM
SB, describe your back kick.

we have back kick and a rear thrust(mule kick)

the back kick is as a side kick to the rear w/ a look over the shoulder.

the rear thrust is heel up/toes down, with or w/o a look.

I couldn't even think about throwing a side kick w/o a chamber.
I'm too slow a kicker. I'd never land one.
with a chamber I can alter the timing a bit in hopes of slipping it past the block.
and my sifu is such a stickler for a tight chamber that I've learned to fire on off a little closer than some expect to see a side kick from.

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 11:04 AM
I get off lots of sidekicks in close :)
I really hate throwing kicks with my right tho, cause my left knee feels SOOO weak... Side kicks with the right make me feel like if they push me back my left knee will buckle, so Im real careful...
But Ive gotten used to throwin them in really close... works pretty well to come up under someones guard.

Our back kick and mule kick are pretty much the same as you just described oso.

Judge Pen
08-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Oso
SB, describe your back kick.

we have back kick and a rear thrust(mule kick)

the back kick is as a side kick to the rear w/ a look over the shoulder.

the rear thrust is heel up/toes down, with or w/o a look.

I couldn't even think about throwing a side kick w/o a chamber.
I'm too slow a kicker. I'd never land one.
with a chamber I can alter the timing a bit in hopes of slipping it past the block.
and my sifu is such a stickler for a tight chamber that I've learned to fire on off a little closer than some expect to see a side kick from.

Oso,

I'm a relatively slow kicker also, but my current sifu has helped my timing, much like yours, by forcing me to chamber my kicks. He can hit me with a side kick while standing less than a foot away and still have enough power to lift me off my feet.

Do any of you use hook kicks in your training or fighting?

Shaolin-Do
08-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Hooks are great counters for people that drop their guard when they kick. Really good for solar plexus shots, use them to get people mid back and draw attention away from the face too.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-18-2003, 01:58 PM
so negro's shouldnt sidekick or he'll change his mind?

:confused:

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-18-2003, 02:06 PM
regardless of power, if your sidekick comes right up off the floor and your knee is lower then your waist when you begin to extend, it's way to easy to get trapped.

im not entirely sure i agree, but even if that's true you could turn around and say its way to easy to topple someone who chambers.

i agree with the notion of knowing both and see them as different tools for different jobs. i tend to use the whipping one most of the time. i think this is largely because i prefer this type below the waist and like how its easy to step through to break or change direction if you miss. i use the thrusting type in the rare occassion ill throw a side as high as the groin or breadbasket. i may not use it much, but i definitely like having it their should i have a need for it.

Kristoffer
08-18-2003, 02:32 PM
I have a pretty fast side kick, (prefer right leg) I usually throw em low and trusting at the shins and somethimes surprise with one straight in the face :) I've busted a few ppl's noses this way. We train hook kicks but no one really uses them in fighting as far as I've seen.

neigung
08-18-2003, 02:38 PM
To SC, a sidekick is a throw. So, yeah, a big difference from karate.

Judge Pen
08-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
I've busted a few ppl's noses this way. We train hook kicks but no one really uses them in fighting as far as I've seen.

I haven't seen too many people use them effectively. I try to use them at the gut, groin, or kidney level, but I'm not the best example. I have seen a few that were crazy about a hook kick and could throw them effectively enough that they were hard to see until they connect. The move in close first and the kick comes around behind you field of vision. By the time I attempt to counter by moving in to uproot or counter-punch their heel connects on the back of my head.

Of course if your not that fast, I get to throw you down. :)

Oso
08-18-2003, 02:52 PM
i'll use a hook to enter for a throw stepping behind after the kick to reap. or to sweep a leg from a bit further out.

my only saving grace is that my kicks are just a wee bit faster than most people expect from my size.

but my sidekick is never a 'speed' kick, always a follow up technique cuz it look like moleazses running uphill in winter.

JP, if we ever catch up we can have a slowest kick contest;)

Judge Pen
08-18-2003, 02:55 PM
You're on. BTW, it's not the speed of a kick from a big man that I fear, it's the weight behind the kick!

Oso
08-18-2003, 03:02 PM

let's try and get something on for October, I'll be done with the tourny and settling into a little bit slower schedule.

then I'll show you who's got the slowest kick !

we're so close it's almost rediculous we're not getting together once a month or so.

besides, I want to get to, what's it called, Oldtown or old downtown or something.

off to class....

CrippledAvenger
08-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by neigung
To SC, a sidekick is a throw. So, yeah, a big difference from karate.

Dear Lord, do I know that well by now. Thankfully, the grass is very soft in Indianna. :cool:

Judge Pen
08-19-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Oso

let's try and get something on for October, I'll be done with the tourny and settling into a little bit slower schedule.

then I'll show you who's got the slowest kick !

we're so close it's almost rediculous we're not getting together once a month or so.

besides, I want to get to, what's it called, Oldtown or old downtown or something.

off to class....

The Old City. :) It's all right, some neat bars down there, but coming from Asheville I'm afraid you will find the scene in Knoxville a bit lame. We will definately plan for something in October.