PDA

View Full Version : Jeet Kune Do vs TMA . . . wtf?

Vash
08-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Oaky, here's something that's been eating at me for a while (the recent JKD posts just brought it to the forefront). In "Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way," JKD is described as an art with a specific technical base, but with an end not limited by any given principle. It had been my understanding during my introduction to martial arts that evolution was the main goal.

To say that, I reference any given martial arts "pioneer." In toudi (Okinawan) tradition, there is Chotoku Kyan, Chojun Miyagi, Tatsuo Shimabuku. In kung fu (well, I honestly don't know the names of the prominent instructors. sorry, my research progresseth slowly.) I'd go into more arts, but I am uneducated in anything else.

Well, for each of these artists, there was one constant: change. Each of these artists changed some part of there teachings to make the end a more efficient martial artist.

So, before I pass out on my key board, let me say this: the only tradition in martial arts is progression.

Marky
08-17-2003, 08:10 PM
"the only tradition in martial arts is progression." Vash

And for some, regression, if the price is right.

Vash
08-17-2003, 08:42 PM
I don't quite follow you.

SevenStar
08-17-2003, 08:48 PM
McSchools...

Cheese Dog
08-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Well said, Vash.
Unfortunately I spent a few years in just the sort of schools that had "regressed". We were actively discouraged from looking outside our style for anything at all.
I'm lucky I found a martial art (Ryukyu Kempo) that is open-minded and willing to learn from other styles.

Vash
08-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Little slow today. Gotcha. McDojos, McKwoons, McDonalds.

My teacher has been telling everyone in the club from day one that, though Isshinryu is a bad mofo of a system, it never hurts to look outside it, find out what works for us, and use it.

chen zhen
08-18-2003, 05:02 AM
Since I do JKD concepts & not Jun Fan, then I can say that we dont have any problems of this kind.
At least I dont.