PDA

View Full Version : punching bags for praying mantis

Youngmantis
08-18-2003, 02:30 AM
My instructor told me that punching bags aren't good for kung fu training, and I'm tryign to get a second opinion so what do you guys think about using punching bags to get better kicks or punches for praying mantis.

Also what do you think about wrist weights? Would it make me too tense for kung fu? MY instructor said that it would make my muscles tense up and I'll struggle, he said if I do it the right way than I'll be ok. So what do you guys think about it and would it tense me up too much?

I'm a real fitness freak and before I joined kung fu I was working out like crazy(no weight lifting though) and I've slowed down on some of the pushups and situps from fear of being to tense, so if any of you are wondering why I'm asking stupid questions the on the forum its because I don't have much of a life and ever since I joined kungu(2 weeks ago) it's been my life and probably will be ;)

If none of this makes sense I understand, I have a relatively short attention span

Frogman
08-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of mantis. I would recommend following your Sifu’s instructions. Weight lifting will cause tense mussels but in moderation can help condition. I used to like wrist weights and how you feel so light when you take them off. Try wearing them all day and then take them off to train. I would wear them on my ankles at work and then take then off in the evening to train. My legs would seem light with out the extra weight allowing me to feel stronger in my stances. I stopped wearing them for two reasons, one they hurt my ankle joints after a long day, and two it does tap into your energy supply and I found myself tired. As for bags, I for one love to hit the heavy bag, especially for kicks. The side kick can look really good but when used if you don’t understand how to push with your foot it will be you falling down. Same with punches you want to know that when you hit your target it is going to move. Of course, I return to my original statement you should do it your Sifu’s way. I know after an hour or so of forms my body is feeling like it was the bag.;)

RibHit
fm

mantisben
08-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Youngmantis
My instructor told me that punching bags aren't good for kung fu training, and I'm tryign to get a second opinion so what do you guys think about using punching bags to get better kicks or punches for praying mantis.

Hitting a bag is good for getting your arms/legs/body used to striking with full-force. Punching the air full-force isn't going to get your wrists used to impact. You could hit the puniest and wimpiest among your classmates full-force in the body to condition your wrists, but that sux b@llz (bad joke).

If it were MY decision, I'd continue to hit the punching bag (not in the KF school, though) with my PM strikes (Back-Fist, Round-House punch, Hammer-Fist, Palm Slaps, kicks, etc.). Actually, I didn't know how to transfer power to my fists UNTIL I started hitting the punching bag.

I'll add that many kung-fu styles include training that involves striking a wooden-dummy which is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than a punching bag. In fact, Tai-Chi Praying Mantis has a wooden-dummy set. Wing-Chun also has a wooden-dummy set.

Besides, hitting a punching bag is fun.

pushups and situps from fear of being to tense
Pushups and situps will make you tense, but they will also make you strong. I wouldn't stop doing pushups and situps. Just make sure you have enough energy to make it through your PM workouts.

I want to say that these are my own opinions, and since your sifu is a teacher, he probably knows more about these things than me.

ironmantis3
08-18-2003, 09:39 PM
All in all every one has there own way of doing things and training is no different. Some training methods you use will bring your body different results than someone else. So its important to keep in mind what you feel most comfortable with as you know your body better than anyone. As far as the hitting bag goes, I'd have to say I'm all for it. Its so much different striking a physical object than simply striking air. For one thing, it shows you how to apply power, speed, etc. And also, you probably noticed how much quicker your body fatigued when hitting a bag repeatedly than simply striking air. Think, do you want to feel that tired in a real fight when unlike the bag, your enemy will hit you back. Training on a bag or anything you can lay into will condition your body from the shock of impact which really does a number on your muscles. Just keep in mind, when using force and speed on a bag do not let your technique get sloppy as sometimes that happens when you get into it.

Arm weights are one of those things you'll never get an agreement on with a bunch of people. So like 'em, some don't. Its up to you.

Push ups and sit ups I think are great. fact is any amount of strength training runs the risk of making you tight. But the fact also exists that most kung fu ( or any other martial artists for that matter!) are simply not strong enough to effectively use their techniques in a real fight. I'll put it another way, my sigung (a praying mantis stylist) in his youth would do 1000 sit ups a day for quite a while. He would do inverted push ups (I don't know how many). He also made my sifu use wrist weights and my sifu encourages me to do the same.

On a side note balance out your strength training with stretching and internal training. Strength and flexibility are the king and the queen, Yin and Yang, they constantly struggle with each other but both are equally neccessary. While in my school we do a lot of strength training, I have reached a point of beyond 180 degree splits and can jump in and out of them without hands. So with proper stretching tightness is not a problem.

Sorry so long hope I helped. Talk to your sifu, he probably has some sort of strength training regimine. Get some ideas. But also keep in mind YOUR goals and what feels right for YOUR body.