PDA

View Full Version : Xingyi for Bruce?

jun_erh
08-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Do you think Bruce Lee may have studied Xingyi if he'd lived? I was just thinking about it because one of the board members studied praying mantis and fencing and now studies Xingyi. I always saw Bruce Lee as having a lot in common with those styles, those sort of spear like motions. I wonder if he would have taken up Xingyi as he got older.

Felipe Bido
08-18-2003, 08:33 PM
I read an article by one of his students (One of the first students, a black man, his name escapes me) where it said that Bruce Lee tried Xingyi and other arts (Mantis and some 'crab style' with a short chinese guy who always smoked a big cigar), when he used to go to Chinatown.

Edit: The student's name is Jesse Glover

Repulsive Monkey
08-19-2003, 05:31 AM
I doubt it, It seems Bruce Lee didn't have much patience with Internal arts, espcially in that famous French interview where he syas that Taiji is only for old people.
One of his femlaes friend from back home who went onto become a Taiji Yang style Master (or may of been Wu Style) later said that he didn't have the aptitude for internal arts.

chen zhen
08-19-2003, 05:37 AM
He studied some Jook Lum southern mantis with Shifu Gin Foon Mark, which may have techniques in common with XYQ.

Ray Pina
08-19-2003, 08:13 AM
I've studied with a student of Gin Foo Mark. He told me they had a problem with Bruce because he was advertising under S. Mantis, without having studied it ... apparantly he thought the namen would bring attention ... just the wrong (gangster) type.

From what I was told Bruce was lucky to get out of NYC.

shadow
08-19-2003, 08:38 AM
I have an old IKF magazine from the late 80s around here somewhere, that broke down the different styles Bruce Lee studied. Hsing Yi was one of them.

Ray Pina
08-19-2003, 08:43 AM
PS

Regarding Hsing-I and Southern Mantis having things in common. This comes up a lot in MA. The ol, "We have that too." Some things look alike, but it's how they are done, not what is being done.

My dog has two eyes, a nose and a mouth. You'd be offended if I said she looked like you, right?

chen zhen
08-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Thats not what I meant. They have principles in common (maybe), I meant.

BoBoJoe
08-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by shadow
I have an old IKF magazine from the late 80s around here somewhere, that broke down the different styles Bruce Lee studied. Hsing Yi was one of them.

----------
I hear an echo, brain dead. Now, freaking Bruce studied what you want to claim, xing-i? Huh? Ba wa ha ha, you are some kind of masturbater. Do cross dressers like you have more than one boyfriend. Heard you and shaolin-do are mates? Losers of a feather. Get off of this group, today, girly. It's for fighters not for girl wanna be's who have never had a street fight.

Bo

joedoe
08-26-2003, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. Nice first post :D

diego
08-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
Welcome to the forum. Nice first post :D

under the new name/alias!.