PDA

View Full Version : Attn Austin!

CaptinPickAxe
08-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know of some good South Austin KF schools?

Chang Style Novice
08-19-2003, 09:19 PM
I think you'd probably have pretty good luck at the Central Texas Kung Fu Exchange (Seven Star Mantis and Hung Gar guys.)

I don't know them personally, but my teacher used to share space with Jeff Hughes, the teacher there and I've never heard a word against him.

CaptinPickAxe
08-20-2003, 01:13 PM
any good KF downtown?

BIGtiny
08-20-2003, 02:22 PM
I study at the Central Texas Kung Fu Exchange. Its a fantastic school. Sifu Hughes is a great instructor who will push you as far as you are willing to go. There is a well made video on the kungfuxchange.com website that does a good job of highlighting the 7* style. Additionally, you are certainly welcome to come in at any time and try out a class or two. PM me, if you like, and I would be happy to answer any questions you have or set up a time for you to come by and check us out.
Cheers
Bt

edit: Just realized your in Lakewood (used to live in Boulder myself), would still like help out if you have a friend or something new to the area who is looking for a school.

iblis73
08-20-2003, 11:22 PM
There is the kung fu exchange.
There is also a san shou/shuai jiao school (chinese athletic center) off of ben white.
The WT school (jeff webb) is on manchaca
The EBMAS rep is somewhere in South Austin.

Chang Style Novice
08-21-2003, 09:24 AM
And don't forget Tai Chi People (http://www.taichiherb.com)!

For non cma there's also Vandry BJJ, Frank Benn's Integrated Fighting Arts, and that Kempo place that JWT is (was?) into on Manchaca - I forget the name. And Austin Ki Aikido, and Joseph Birdsong's Aikido of Austin, and several boxing gyms, and so on.

GreyMystik
08-21-2003, 09:34 AM
there's a good shuai chiao fellow up north by the name of Dave Pickens as well, if you can make it out that far. he's in Round Rock.

CSN- you're thinking of Brian Duffy's Kenpo

Water Dragon
08-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Grey Mistik is correct. The San Shou/Shuai Chiao guy is Paul Gerald.

You can't go wrong studying with either Paul or Dave

CaptinPickAxe
08-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Are these guys willing to work out some sort of deal where I can go up there once a week and train more than average. I'm moving back to San Antonio in 2 weeks, and I'm lookin' for somethin' good. No KF in san antonio , just, wc, sd, and karate.

Water Dragon
08-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
No KF in san antonio

You, my friend, are incorrect.

CaptinPickAxe
08-21-2003, 12:58 PM
I keep hearing about SC, but that was supposedly happening 2 months before I left. I'm still waiting for that, but I haven't found anything worth while yet.

crazymaddrunk
08-21-2003, 09:03 PM
they're prolly still adding in boxing, long fist, bjj, karate, mushugaipan, and whatever else they can find...

don't waste your time with that sc group...

CaptinPickAxe
08-21-2003, 09:49 PM
don't waste your time with that sc group...

...I'd rather wait and learn to break bodies with ease, than to waste more of my money on crap MA. besides, I've heard good things about the instructor.