PDA

View Full Version : Max heart rate

Toby
08-19-2003, 09:03 PM
I've just changed my workout 2 weeks ago after 5 years of 25 exercises split roughly 8 per Mon/Wed/Fri (doing 3 x 10 reps in each :p). My new regime consists of PTP-style bench/squat/deadlifts/pull-ups. I do 2hr wing chun twice a week. I ride my bike 30min each day to work and back. I also do a fair bit of stomach strengthening stuff like Jandas, full-contact twists, Saxon side bends, bent presses, etc.

Anyway, I got a Polar HRM recently and started a HIIT program, i.e. Taku's intervals running at the local park. The first time out, I looked at the data afterwards and I had a max HR of 210 :eek:. I thought maybe it was due to radio interference, but I wasn't near anything obvious (powerlines, etc). I did a run again yesterday, and got a max of 234 :eek:. I'm 30 years old, and my resting heart rate is in the low 40's (lowest recorded 41). How is it possible to get a 234? I did look down at one stage while running near max pace and had 191 and I was probably going harder than that at some stages. Am I killing myself?

Thanks in advance.

Ford Prefect
08-20-2003, 04:37 AM
That's pretty high. You should never do PCP before a workout. Oh, and get a new monitor too.

IronFist
08-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Just take your own pulse with your wrist and a watch. Count the beats for 15 seconds and then multiply it by 4.

IronFist

Toby
08-20-2003, 07:36 PM
PTP, not PCP Ford ;). My drug-taking days are long gone.

The HR monitor's brand new, a Polar s610i. It comes with a software package that lets you graph your HR across a workout, but the infrared reader that I got isn't compatible with the USB controller that my computer has. The company's sending me a prototype IR reader to test so then I'll be able to see if the 234 and 210 were bad data or not. I'm pretty confident the 191 was accurate, anyway.

I just hope I don't drop from a heart attack before I get the new IR reader. There's no family history of heart problems, and in my first post I was describing my exercise regime to show that I'm not unfit and I know my limits fairly well. I certainly didn't need to puke or anything after doing the intervals each time so I wasn't going as hard as I could. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope it was bad data.

I could just use the "take own pulse with watch" thing IronFist, but I wanted a more accurate indication of my workouts. It's also a bit hard to take my pulse while sprinting around an oval ;).

PAMantis
08-21-2003, 08:26 AM
That 191 doesn't sound too terrible, but still seems a bit on the high side. Now if your resting heart rate went from say 50-120, then back down to 50 again i'd think there was a problem. At least that's what my doctor wants me to believe.

**** it where's my cardiologist's number it's happening again!

PAMantis

sakko
08-24-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm waaaay outta shape, and planning on starting MA soon, so I started some jogging. My resting heart rate was in the 90's so I was kinda concerned so I bought a low end polar monitor. I do jogging/walking, and while jogging my heart rate gets up to about 185 and begins to slip a bit higher, but by that point I'm starting to get kinda dizzy so I stop.

Im 30 yrs old, 6', 245 lbs, and no real cardio work other than this. I find if I walk quickly I can keep my heart rate at about 165. I do this for 45-60 minutes and figure I'm getting a pretty good workout. I really hope it improves my stamina. Now if I could find a good resource for stretching exercises I'd be set.

Toby
08-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Hi sakko,

I'm in the same ballpark as you. 6'3", 215lbs. Eventually, I want to get down to around 190lbs, which is why I started the intervals.

As far as stretching goes, I do enough at wing chun training. Years ago, I did yoga. My wife does it now. I can't think of a better stretching workout than yoga. If you go to a couple of months of classes, you'll increase flexibility heaps and learn lots of good stretches. It can be moderately intense, but is more mentally challenging than physically. It can be extremely mentally challenging! An example is sitting with the soles of your feet together and your feet pulled towards your groin with the instructor standing on each knee. Your body can do it, but your head tells you you can't.

For your running, you might like to consider interval training like I'm doing. I did a bit of research before starting and it fits my goals. Search google for "Taku" "HIIT" and "Tabata protocol". The workouts are heart-rate based, so you don't have to sprint. You could alternate jogging and walking while you build up fitness. Talk to your doctor before starting, though, because the workouts can be pretty intense (as evidenced by my heart rate!). The program I'm following is:
http://trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

Hope that helps.