Upward Block Bumpin Kick - Gua Jeong Toi

all found in the Book of Lee kam Wing

and also we know:

Liu Yam Toi - Groin Kick (straight up!)
Fung Toi - same as Bai Lin, other direction
Hyun Toi - door shuttering with Mantis Hands
Tao Tan Toi - kick behind the other leg
Fei Ngan Toi - combi of two kicks with jump

Where are differences, where we got something in common?

German Bai Lung
08-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi,

seems that noone else is kickin? :confused:

Ok, how do you call your sidekicks? Do you got any?

mantis108
08-22-2003, 12:26 PM
First off, don't really know how to put it in words. The kicking techniques presented in LKW's book iare pretty standard northern style kicking techs. Most Mantis schools train these nowadays.

Kicking in PM, as I understand it, involves combinations and partnered drills. Combinations usually have hand techniques (ie Beng Chui Bimen Jiao - back fist with door shutting kick). Partnered drills are simply either painful or taxing on the cardio system.

In CCK TCPM, the kicking are drilled with the exponent being takedown. So it's not really that much fun in do the kicking side. ;) The upside is that you know you've got to have a fast kick. We also do intercepting kicks (deng bai san jiao) which again is quite painful as a partnered drill.

Other PM kicks that I am aware and not mentioned in the book are

Mandarin Duck kick
Side kick
stomp and rising to the private back kick (vagabond kick)
intercepting 3 kicks (deng bai san jiao)
Rib stabbing kick
turtoise flipper kick

and others...

So it would seem that LKW's holded out on those... just an impression.

Mantis108

HappyNoodleBoy
08-22-2003, 03:09 PM
We have many leg techniques...

8 high:
Front kick
Side kick
Back kick
Turning kick
Inside out
Outside in
Double kick
Tornado kick

8 low:
Front
Axe
Sweep
Side
Heel
Hook
Low sweep
drop shin

8 kick blocks:
front
side
instep
counter
inside-out
circle
double
threading

8 knees:
straight
high
horizontal
spinning
inside-out
clasping
downward
double

All have their own variations

yu shan
08-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Mantis 108

I agree with you, kicking is hard to put into words, but should involve combo`s and partnered drill`s. Partnered kicking drills will make a man out of you, no doubt. From what I know, in the beginning we learned line solo kicks as an exercise, ie long fist kicking (12). Then we learned Mantis kicking (solo), countless drills on kicking the orther guy and defending the other guy. Now we are at that point of partnered kicking drills continuous. The real fun to me is the "takedown" or finish to the drill. Then there is the conditioning...what do you do for conditioning?

GBL

Thanks for the mantis kicking thread. We are Northern, and we kick...and...kick!

yu shan
08-22-2003, 09:27 PM
M108

Woops, the door shutting kick you speak of sounds similar to a kick in Wah Lum, kicking thru the door! Hey WL folks, is this kicken thru door the same as pierce the heart kick?

German Bai Lung
08-23-2003, 02:27 AM
Hi,

so finally we found us all kickin ... :P

But: how do you call your kicks?
I mean: sure we got sidekick, backward kicks, stopkicks, different jumpkicks, lot of combiantion kicks (mui fa sao kuen), kicks while lying on the floor, kicks with the knee etc pp ...

But sad I donīt know the name of all the kicks!

Did you know them all?

MantisifuFW
08-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by yu shan
M108

Woops, the door shutting kick you speak of sounds similar to a kick in Wah Lum, kicking thru the door! Hey WL folks, is this kicken thru door the same as pierce the heart kick?

Bai Moon Towie is a different kick from the Churng Sum Towie in MC's system. I have a WL handbook that indicates a difference.

Hope it helps,
Steve Cottrell

MantisifuFW
08-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by yu shan
From what I know, in the beginning we learned line solo kicks as an exercise, ie long fist kicking (12).

Yu Shan,

Are you refering to the twelve leg kicking maneuvers or are you refering to the Tam Towie kicking exercises.

Steve Cottrell

mantis108
08-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi Yu Shan,

You know your kicking, my man! :) Indeed, it is all in the conditioning. Here's what we do for training the kicks:

1.Zhan Zhuang (Stance Training) – Stance training in praying mantis kung fu is also known as Zhan Ba Shi (Holding 8 postures). At least 3 to 5 minutes per posture. This is to build muscle strength, promote good form, endurance, develop Qi.

2.Haujibu (Monkey walk) - This is similar to duck walk but with other stuff happening at the same time (ie punching). We use strider jumps sometime instead. Either way it is gonna kill your legs. lol... This is to promote balance, endurance, and explosive strenght in the legs.

3.Ya Tui (leg stretching) - traditionally there are the frontal, and the side way (diagonal) and posterior leg stretches. There are also hips stretches. Stretching is best done standing against a bench or a bar because it helps to develop balance besides range of motion and flexibilities. In a class situation, it is great fun to have a group stretch with 3 people's legs forming a triangle or 4 people forming a square.

4.Liu Tui (running legs) - There are about 6 of these "kicks" to losen up the legs. Old Sifus would tell you that Ya and Liu must go together for the leg training to be effective.

5.Bao Tui (hugging the legs) - Holding the legs in full extension with the hands or touching the knees to the chest. At the later stage the full extension of the leg is done without the hands. This stage this is known as Deng Tui. This exercise is great for balance as well. Also one-legged squats are done at the final stage. 18 lohan's road 13 is Deng Tui exercise as well. BTW, Bruce Lee loved to showcase his ability of this in his films. But he wasn't that impressive comparing to others that I have seen. He was just more well known.

6.Pi Tui (Leg splits) - Also done in either side way and frontal way. At the final stage, the practitioner has to jump up from the split without the help of the hands 3 to 10 times. At this stage the legs are like 2 rubber bands. It is one of the most amazing things to behold. ;)

7.Ti Tui (kicking) - All the different kicking techniques, combo, partned drills (takedowns as finishes). Kicking at objects such as sand bags (impact training) is also an important aspect of Ti Tui. I use the legs of the video shelves in my store for practicing Cao Tui (hooking sweep). In HK, we have a metal leg on the wooden dummy (our dai Sihing, lol) for that.

8.Bu Fa (Footwork drills) - Nao Hao Shang Feng (wind blows at back of the head) is both a footwork and body method drill in CCK TCPM. There are more different drills listed in GM Chiu manuscript as well. This really is coming full circle starting with the Stance training. Because Bu Fa is maximumizing everything that you have gone through. You would appreciate the various functions of Bu Fa such as balance, avoidance, positioning, obstruction, destruction, stability/endurance, power, and evasion. Without a good graspe of these Bu Fa functions, the kicks are not going to be effective. It doesn't matter how ppwerful the kick is; you simply can't kick something or someone that isn't there.

This is the stuff that we work with day in day out. BTW, we would use a bundle of sticks and rolling pin (all those good ol' impact stuff, lol..) on the shin while stretching to save time.

A final note, Tainan has some of the best traditional kicking drills. It really is a great deal of pain and fun working with him. ;) :D

Warm regards

Mantis108

tanglang
08-25-2003, 05:54 AM
as if it would be great fun...:D :D :D your students still allive, Tainan ?-joke ...;)