PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: San Antonio Shuai Chiao Wannabe's

Water Dragon
08-21-2003, 01:47 PM
I just got this message from Kirk.

I am negotiating time at Our Lady of the Lake University over the next week or so. We are temporarily training there but the times and place will probably change somewhat. As a backup we train at Gene's if necessary.

Contact info:

Gene Lopez
h: 210 348-8331
kungfutofu@hotmail.com

Kirk Woller
kirk.woller@randolph.af.mil
h: 210 732 5444

Students are welcome and have them check out web sites for basic info. Training is free (except uniform) until a solid group is formed.

-FYI- The website referred to is www.combatshuaichiao.com You can also order your jacket there.

MasterKiller
08-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Are you guys associated with the Combat Shuai Chiao group that performed at Taiji Legacy wearing blue jeans and Camoflauge shirts?

Water Dragon
08-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Yes. You are referring to John Wang. Kirk is a Black Belt under Master Wang.

-edit-
We are a part of the same organization, but not the same school. I am in Chicago and a green belt under Joe Judt. We also have free classes in South Chicago/NW Indiana if anyone is interested.

iblis73
08-21-2003, 08:46 PM
I met both Gene and Kirk this past May....both were very mature and intelligent gentlemen.
Kirk actually teaches MMA of sorts-he uses SC for clinching/throwing range. For longer range some wc/longfist and BJJ groundwork (he studied under William Vandry of Austin unless I am mistaken.) Good class covering all ranges...I watched a class and like what I saw (believe me, I've seen LOTS of classes!)

joedoe
08-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by crazymaddrunk
I watched some of you guys before, doing BJJ and boxing...is your CSC no good? And when I spoke to one of your instructors they said there wasn't a curriculum to get ranked in, you just show up and basically fight a mma style fight....

sorry doesn't sound like Shuai Chiao to me...

camo shirts and blue jeans? how is that CMA?

You are funny :D

Water Dragon
08-22-2003, 07:05 AM
That must have been the most pitiful troll attempt I have ever seen. (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/272412/Howaboutanicecup.jpg)

MasterKiller
08-22-2003, 08:30 AM
I thought the camo shirts were a little over the top, but they did well in the San Shou fighting, so there must be something to it.

WD,
Some of the people also competed in Wing Chun forms. Is that part of the curriculum as well?

Water Dragon
08-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
...but they did well in the San Shou fighting, so there must be something to it.

Does anything else really matter? :)

MK, Paul Gerald is the main teacher of the group you saw. He is also a Wing Chun teacher. From what I understand, you should have seen some Wing Chun in the free fighting as well.

There's not an official "Shuai Chiao Striking Art", but you'll find a variety of influences.

For example, I'm using TaiChi Push Hands to help teach free wrestling. I've also started learning some Muay Thai to fit in with the SC.

Shaolin-Do
08-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Cool. Just talked to kirk, starts monday.

fa_jing
08-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Lots of people confuse Wing Chun for boxing. Or any good standup.
:p

rubthebuddha
08-22-2003, 04:06 PM
:D

Shaolin-Do
08-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Both are very friendly and well spoken people. Very much looking forward to training.
:)

SevenStar
08-22-2003, 04:52 PM
I used to have a trogdor avatar

MasterKiller
08-23-2003, 07:13 AM
From what I understand, you should have seen some Wing Chun in the free fighting as wellI saw some interesting blocks, for sure. One of the guys got seriosuly robbed. He was obviously kicking the snot out of his opponent, but lost the decision.

Chang Style Novice
12-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Hey, you from around here, SC Guy?

SevenStar
12-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by crazymaddrunk
I watched some of you guys before, doing BJJ and boxing...is your CSC no good?

you train kyokushinkai - is your hung gar no good?

MonkeySlap Too
12-18-2003, 10:35 PM
There is a saying that 'there are no standards' in the ACSCA. My teacher taught us our kick/punch stragies from Ma Hua and Xing-Yi. My classmates and I all brought other stuff into our mix - Dr. Wu was always very open minded - if you already had a decent punch / kick game, he would try to enhance it rather than try to reprogram you to do it *his* way - and just focus on the things you did not know.

As a result from my class you see people who use obvious SPM, Northern Shaolin, BKF Kenpo, and other stuff - along with the ACSCA Xing-Yi and Shuai Chiao.

This is hard for a lot of people to accept - but Shuai Chiao thinking is very practical.

norther practitioner
12-19-2003, 08:29 AM
If you can throw someone with a sc throw, then you know that part of sc as someone explained it to me.. I'm sure there is more to it than that... but not like other tcma.

CrippledAvenger
12-19-2003, 08:37 AM
MST--

Just out of curiousity, did any of your kung fu brothers come from a boxing background? I'm trying to work on some punching entrances for my throws at the moment, so I'm trying to get some ideas from those that came before, ya know?

MonkeySlap Too
12-19-2003, 09:16 AM
I spent a year working out with a golden gloves group - where i was living at the time, they were the only people who could hang. I know panantukan as well...

Actually, while boxing is fun, it has some significant flaws we can try and patch up for you.

Ask Larry if it's okay with him for you to have my number, and give me a call. Just not today. Office party last night. F@ck I'm getting old...

CrippledAvenger
12-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks a million, Joe. I'll do that.

lkfmdc
12-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Do silk PJ's make the man? :confused:

Go to China today and you will see very skilled masters teaching in slacks or jeans, their students in similar normal clothing..

Most uniforms just go back to everyday clothing, or stuff you can mess up...

really silly comment

CaptinPickAxe
12-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Kirk takes his striking techniques from Wing Chun and Long Fist. He's got great hand game, but his throwing abilities are awe-inspiring. His technique is wonderful. We were supposed to begin knife training with a Kali practioner from Cali (:D ).

I'm using Splashing Hand for my close striking game, but I can't decide on which long range art I'd like to use, any suggestions?

Meat Shake
12-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Either mossberg or Colt .45

CaptinPickAxe
12-19-2003, 02:28 PM
I think I'd like to take up Eastern Boxing in the future. I'm not exactly sure of what it is, but if I'm thinking right, I might use that as my long game.

I'm going to slap you in the face with a catfish and then judo-chop you in the neck, shake. Just you wait...just you wait...

MonkeySlap Too
12-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Cap, use what you can get. I'd take advantage of Kirk's experience. Take what he has to offer and you'll do fine. It is often better to take advantage of anothers experience than to try and piecema things yourself. This way you can build from your teachers accomplishments, rather than start over.

Just my opinion...

norther practitioner
12-19-2003, 04:11 PM
If your teacher can give you some wing tsun and long fist.. geez, seems like that would cover the gammet of ranges.:D

CaptinPickAxe
12-19-2003, 04:28 PM
MST,

Oh, I'm not giving up.
I know Kirk is a diamond in the rough, and I will always cherish the knowledge he gives us and I will always train under him. He is the main reason I'm sticking around in San Antonio. But, I think instead of following directly in his footsteps, I'd like to branch and find what works for me. Different things work for different people.