PDA

View Full Version : driving energy from the elbow

mtod1
08-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for developing proper/better energy from the elbow.

thanks
seeya

John Weiland
08-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by mtod1
Hi all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for developing proper/better energy from the elbow.

thanks
seeya
Yes. Do the first set tan sao, wu sao, fook sao combinations over and over while using a mirror or not. Ask your teacher for corrections on these techniques.

Regards.

Universal Stance
08-22-2003, 07:17 AM
TWC has a training method in which you stand in neutral stance in front of a wall. Extend your Vertical Punch chest height about half way out. Lightly touch the wall with your knuckles. Now with as much strength you can muster push your fist to the wall without actually touching the wall any harder than when you started. Do this with your elbows as close to your centerline as is comfortable. Do this with both arms then repeat at navel height.

I don't know if other styles of WC uses the principle of forward energy like TWC but the way we do chi sao and other two person drills greatly helps as well.

kj
08-22-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Universal Stance
<snip>... Now with as much strength you can muster ... <snip>

I don't know if other styles of WC uses the principle of forward energy like TWC but the way we do chi sao and other two person drills greatly helps as well.

We definitely employ the principle of forward energy but in a manner that requires us to muster precise positioning, a solid foundation, relaxation and settling, and distinctly not physical strength. We rely more on a "woman's way," so to speak.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

S.Teebas
08-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Now with as much strength you can muster push your fist to the wall without actually touching the wall any harder than when you started.

I've found pushing against someone stronger than myself is a futile exercise.

Relaxation, focus and proper structure can overcome a stronger person however.

Jim Roselando
08-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Hello,

Excellent positioning, and a soft relaxed range of motion, will be the beginning and once the movements flow smoothly thru the proper paths I would suggest not worrying about the developing energy from the elbow but rather the whole body thru the Kwa.

Just my thoughts!

Regards,

Universal Stance
08-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Funny how I didn't add relaxation in my post. I guess saying all the strength you can muster didn't suggest that. Thanks for clearing that up kj.

Anyway, it's a lot muscular strength on the wall exercise not during chi sao or other drills. Forward energy isn't completely muscleless you know :P.

Worked for me...

One final note: I'm not sure all TWC schools practice the wall exercise. I should have said my TWC Sifu taught my class this exercise. So don't take what I said as a universally practiced drill in TWC.

namron
08-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by mtod1
Hi all.

thanks
seeya

Run through your 2 arm chi sau concentrating on forward energy between rotations, ie: dont push forward in a jerky manner at the end of each rotation, rather concentrate on the tan to bon move to make sure forward energy is constant and not just collapsing back to tan. (it is easiest to see and adjust)

Start out with a fair bit of forward energy then smooth back and try to balance the forward energy while retaining sensitivity.

In the two man two arm drill let you opponent drop away one arm occasionally to see if your energy is going forward.

Savi
08-23-2003, 09:16 PM
I think that in everything you do, always be mindful of the role the elbow plays in every technique you do. When fighting or training, take time to contemplate how much you are actually aware of when you focus on each and every joint of your body.

Do it in progressive steps, perhaps from furthest joint to the closest joint (from the wrist to the elbow, elbow to hip, hip to knee, knee to ankle). Focus on one body part per training session until you've covered them all. For each body part as well, start with a focus on structure, then energy, then the timing of both shape and energy.

Then try to identify the symbiotic relationship from one body part to another body part, then the body as a whole. Ultimately, your level of awareness will increase dramatically as you begin to gain a truly deeper understanding of human physiology.

Mastering your parts is all about knowing yourself. The more you know about yourself, the more you know about your opponent.