PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Tri-Pole

Amp
08-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Can anyone give me any information on the Wing Chun Tri-Podial? It is sometimes called the "kicking dummy", the tri-pole, or the 3 star dummy. Basically it consists of 3 poles sticking out of the ground.

I'm wondering how common it is to practice among Wing Chun people? Also, any historical information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mr Punch
08-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Basically, you've answered yourself. It's posts sticking out of the ground. I've only ever seen three live, except there are maybe more on kj's group's website's pic...? can't remember!

It isn't so common I guess, mainly because a lot of those kicking drills aren't practised till later in the system for some reason.

Historically, your sifu would put a land mine under one of them, and not tell you which one, to practise your little-known leaping two hundred feet in the air screaming technique.

Some of this post may not be accurate.

kj
08-22-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Basically, you've answered yourself. It's posts sticking out of the ground. I've only ever seen three live, except there are maybe more on kj's group's website's pic...? can't remember!

Nope. I don't have one. Yet. ;)

I did mention something about it elsewhere recently though. In summary, if and when I build one, it will be either a 3 post triangle or 6 post pentagonal model (one post in the center) depending on space. I'd bury the 6' posts in 3' deep holes with sand to allow for a small amount of give. Posts planted ~3-5' apart at centers.

I would consider it a nice-to-have luxury for footwork training, but not at all essential.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Tom Kagan
08-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Three posts is actually a compact version of the GerKJong portion traditionally found in a larger configuration of eleven posts which make up Ving Tsun's MoyFahJong (MukYanJong + GerkJong)

http://www.Moyyat.com/dummy.html

As Kathy Jo mentioned, in a city or a suburban area it is definitely a luxury. However, if you're in the middle of nowhere, setting up a few posts to step around and kick from time to time may be somewhat helpful.

Here's another thread from this forum on the subject: History never repeats itself. Only historians do. (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19130)

Amp
08-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for your replies!

The reason I asked is because we train the tri-pole at our school and I haven't been able to find much info on it when talking to students of other lineages. I train under the Duncan Leung lineage.

We practice an entire form made up of 8 sets. For us, the poles are spaced 2' apart from the center point. We use them for kicks, balance, conditioning and footwork.

Thanks again for all of your input.

yuanfen
08-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks Tom for sharing the essay on the jongs by Moy Yat sifu.
Joy