PDA

View Full Version : Nice dummy clip.

Mr Punch
08-21-2003, 10:34 PM
nice dummy clip! (http://www.digitaletchings.com/v_wcd.html)

Don't know if there are any Bay Area LO Man Kam reps on the board, but if so apologies for linking without permission: if you want me to remove it, please PM me, though I'm assuming if it's on the net, it's for looking at! :D

I liked this. Not far off the way I was taught, though a few variations in order and what have you. Nice angles on the vid too.

Just thought I'd share, though like I said, apologies as it's not mine to share!

Mr Punch
08-22-2003, 12:30 AM
Oh that's your group aelward!

Nice. Definitely be good to hook up next time you're in the Big Mikan.

aelward
08-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Hi Mat,

Just a disclaimer:

The guy who compiled the footage we shot for the dummy form erroneously named it "Lo Man Kam's" wooden dummy; it really isn't.

The guy in the clip, Liu Tien-Yen, is one of Sifu Lo's Taipei students (a really good one at that) who happened to be visiting the Bay Area. Since his dummy form is better than mine, I asked him to demonstrate it for everyone while we recorded it.

However, while he essentially does my Sifu's version of the form (notice the footwork is different from the standard HK version), Liu adds some of the HK form hand motions and leaves out a kick that my Sifu added between each section (kick with the tok sao, kick with the jut sao).

So besides the aesthetic e-way view, the form itself is not representative of Sifu Lo's dummy form. But we liked the 3-way view so much, we are trying to get my Sifu to do the form while we shoot it the same way. Who knows, maybe that will end up as an instructional VCD/DVD sometime...

yuanfen
08-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Nice clip. Thanks for sharing- Mat and Jon.

joy c

Whiplash
08-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by aelward
Hi Mat,

Just a disclaimer:

The guy who compiled the footage we shot for the dummy form erroneously named it "Lo Man Kam's" wooden dummy; it really isn't.

*snip*

Perhaps it would be a good idea to email John Kang and ask him to amend the link on www.lomankam.org's video site with this description, as it is currently described as being the Lo Man Kam dummy form.

I really enjoyed watching the video though. It's so hard to find high quality videos (both in the quality of the footage and the skill of the practitioner) on the internet :)

TjD
08-27-2003, 12:38 AM
it feels like whoever was doing the form was "holding back" for the camera.

other than that it's a good clean example of the motions in the wooden dummy (although the sequence is different than how we practice). very good clip and i do say i enjoyed it.

IronFist
08-28-2003, 10:16 PM
I liked the overhead angle. I've never seen that before.

IronFist

aelward
08-29-2003, 05:56 AM
LOL, after reading all the feedbackI thought I would add another disclaimer. I never thought I would get this defensive on an internet forum :P

TJD writes:
> it feels like whoever was doing the form was "holding back" for
> the camera.

He was haivng trouble because it was the first or second time that he had used that particular dummy. The carpet was pretty crappy and he had a hard time turning. Also, that dummy at the school does not have very good "play." Add to that his nervousness and desire to get the positions as good as possible.

Whiplash writes:
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to email John Kang and ask
> him to amend the link on www.lomankam.org's video site...

I think it is described simply as "wooden dummy" form. The disclaimer at the top of the page says: "Some videos may not necessarily represent Sifu Lo's opinions or teachings."

TjD
08-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by aelward
LOL, after reading all the feedbackI thought I would add another disclaimer. I never thought I would get this defensive on an internet forum :P

TJD writes:
> it feels like whoever was doing the form was "holding back" for
> the camera.

He was haivng trouble because it was the first or second time that he had used that particular dummy. The carpet was pretty crappy and he had a hard time turning. Also, that dummy at the school does not have very good "play." Add to that his nervousness and desire to get the positions as good as possible.

Whiplash writes:
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to email John Kang and ask
> him to amend the link on www.lomankam.org's video site...

I think it is described simply as "wooden dummy" form. The disclaimer at the top of the page says: "Some videos may not necessarily represent Sifu Lo's opinions or teachings."

with all the factors it was quite nice. it was a very clean presentation :D

every time i see a presentation i think to myself "now i wonder how they do that when they're at home practicing."

Mr Punch
09-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by EmptyCup
question:

when you guys say nice clip do you mean nice camera angles and production or that the person in the video is good?

would you guys say he performs the dummy at a high level?

curious. I like the way he moves.

I like the camera angles.

As for the level, he's a bit short, but it's hardly his fault...! :rolleyes: :D

OK, OK, I don't know about his level. He looks good enough, but I would like to know what he was taught and cross hands with him before I passed comment on his level. Frankly, his level at the dummy is irrelevant to me: all I can say is I like the way he moves.

The dummy for its own sake, if you cannot transfer the moves to a living person, is no use.