PDA

View Full Version : Defending "personalities", Human nature...

Savi
08-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Welcome all,
I'd like to make an effort that all will hopefully benefit from (in any way, shape or form). This thread will be about the relationship of the WC community here, on this forum. There are individuals on this forum that many hold in high regard. There are also many others that aren't held in high regard. But the fact is that whenever someone says something offensive to others, whether intended or not, it is human nature to challenge those perceived comments right?

I was in the middle of posting a reply on the Ng Mui thread, then realized that what I was doing - regardless of what I was going to say - I was still taking space away from the topic. Do I really have to have the last word? Even if I know in my heart someone else is wrong? No. So I stopped myself, and started again here. My goal in challenging people's comments is not to bring them to my perspective. It's to balance out our perspectives to a common ground, and that's usually where we both are objective in view. Balanced. Neutrality in all directions.

Many times here I will try and share in discussion very open comments and explanations about what I know if the topic has room for it. I do respect everyone's opinions as well, but when things take a tangent in the discussion... knowing when to shut up is priceless. Does that mean that others will believe that the other person is right if I don't say something? It might happen, it might not. Does it really matter? Yes and no. To a beginner in the martial arts world who read this forum, they are highly akin to believe what they read to be close to truth. In a word: Innocence. When something said/written is far from true, do we not all feel compelled to challenge what is false? Can that be faulted? Many of us, if not all, are looking for what is real. That should be addressed.

In reality, every family has its quarrels. Some may be considered lucky if that is not the case. "In all directions, there is one family" is a quote on the HFY108 forum. Siblings fight. Parents fight. But in the end, everyone still talks. Sometimes things go silent, and other times things get riled. But for the most case, communication is still there. Some people never change in their ways, but we all grow in time.

I wanted to make that point. Any thoughts?

TjD
08-22-2003, 09:36 AM
just because i like to beat up my sister doesn't mean i love her any less :D

kj
08-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Savi
I wanted to make that point. Any thoughts?

Nice points, good message, Savi.

And you too, TjD, though that "sister" remark leaves me just a tad edgy, LOL.

Regards,
- kj

reneritchie
08-22-2003, 11:04 AM
Savi,

Excellent post!

Universal Stance
08-22-2003, 11:05 AM
I agree.

TjD
08-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by kj

Nice points, good message, Savi.

And you too, TjD, though that "sister" remark leaves me just a tad edgy, LOL.

Regards,
- kj

hehe well i dont have a brother :) i was just illustrating a point...

my mom always used to tell me when she was mad at me, "i may not like you very much now, but i still love you."

it's a good thing to keep in mind when dealing with our kung fu brothers, sisters, cousins, and the rest of our extended kung fu family :D we're all trying to get to the top of the same mountain.

planetwc
08-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Of course they (our truths) are just thoughts and opinions.

We each have our own perspective on what is fact and what is lie or misinformation or just error.

And we each have our own ways of reacting when presented with an opposite view.

While our own perceptions may be our own realities, we should realize that we each have our own:

1. Thoughts
2. Perceptions
3. Opinions
4. Truths

And that what we accept and believe to be true may not be the same for anyone else.

Even when groupthink occurs there are bound to be variations in personal interpretation and meaning for each person.

Phenix
08-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Savi,

Great points.