PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Do vs. Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe

Fu-Pow
08-22-2003, 10:03 AM
After our lengthy thread on Shaolin Do....I'm curious....what do you Shaolin Do guys think about Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe?

For those of you not familiar with the "style" here's the link:

http://www.oomyungdoe.com/

I don't want to hear this crap "well, I haven't been to a school so I can't comment."

Just based on the website, reading the history, looking at the curriculum....what do you guys think?

Does this seem like a reputable school to you?

Is this somewhere that you might check out and seriously think about training if you weren't busy with your Shaolin Do?

I'm curious because these schools.....much like Shaolin Do, are not considered reputable by almost all of the MA community.

There are many similarities:

1) A dubious and implausible history.

2) Only hold closed tournaments.

3) Claim to teach an huge variety of styles that are not closely related.

4)A belt grading system.

5) A centralized "head" figure from which all knowledge supposedly comes about all the styles.

TonyM.
08-22-2003, 10:14 AM

Judge Pen
08-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
After our lengthy thread on Shaolin Do....I'm curious....what do you Shaolin Do guys think about Chung Moo Doe/Oom Yung Doe?

For those of you not familiar with the "style" here's the link:

http://www.oomyungdoe.com/

I don't want to hear this crap "well, I haven't been to a school so I can't comment."

Just based on the website, reading the history, looking at the curriculum....what do you guys think?

Is this somewhere that you might check out and seriously think about training if you weren't busy with your Shaolin Do?

I'm curious because these schools.....much like Shaolin Do, are not considered reputable by almost all of the MA community.

There are many similarities:

1) A dubious and implausible history.

2) Only hold closed tournaments.

3) Claim to teach an huge variety of styles that are not closely related.

4)A belt grading system.

5) A centralized "head" figure from which all knowledge supposedly comes about all the styles.

"I don't want to hear this crap 'well, I haven't been to a school so I can't comment.'"

Then why did you ask ?
:rolleyes:

BTW, we don't only hold "closed" tournaments. Master Mullins has an open tournamnet in November. I'd love for you to stop trolling and come down.

Water Dragon
08-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen

BTW, we don't only hold "closed" tournaments. Master Mullins has an open tournamnet in November. I'd love for you to stop trolling and come down.

More info please!

Judge Pen
08-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Right now the tentative date is November 1st in Johnson City Tennessee. I don't know what the rules will be this year, but last year had forms, weapons, internal form (either empty hand or weapon) point sparring (uugh) and non-stop sparring. Non-stop is two 45 second rounds with head gear, gloves, shin pads, mouthpiece, and groin protection. The contact is not full, but they do allow contact to the head as long as its not excessive. Take downs are allowed if followed up with a strike, but there's no grappelling per se. The will break you after three seconds.

I'll let you know more when I know it.

MasterKiller
08-22-2003, 11:01 AM
That is the "Day of the Tiger, Night of the Dragon V Invitational Tournament"?

Judge Pen
08-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Yes, MK it is.

CrippledAvenger
08-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
. Non-stop is two 45 second rounds with head gear, gloves, shin pads, mouthpiece, and groin protection. The contact is not full, but they do allow contact to the head as long as its not excessive. Take downs are allowed if followed up with a strike, but there's no grappelling per se. The will break you after three seconds.

Not ragging on you Judge's Pen, but that's a pretty weak set-up for sparring. 45 second rounds? That's not even half of what most people train for. No throws, I take it either?

:(

Judge Pen
08-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger

Not ragging on you Judge's Pen, but that's a pretty weak set-up for sparring. 45 second rounds? That's not even half of what most people train for. No throws, I take it either?

:(

I agree its not ideal. Throws are allowed.

MasterKiller
08-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Well, most tournies don't allow throwing, so kudos for that.

How many different schools usually attend?

How does one get invited?

Judge Pen
08-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Well, most tournies don't allow throwing, so kudos for that.

How many different schools usually attend?

How does one get invited?

There's only one other CMA school around here and that's Wah Lum. A lot of SD schools come down to attend and several karate and TKD schools come down. There is even a Capoeria school that fights. We basically invite every school in the area, and I'll check about other invitations. I really don't think the invitations are exclusive and he'll let anyone sign up.

I think that SD (the forum member) is coming up. You could catch a ride with him. I'd love to see you perform your Monk's Spade.

MasterKiller
08-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Does Wah Lum compete there?

Evad
08-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Well concerning the original topic of the thread, here's my favorite quote from the site.

"The use of extraordinary Nae Gong energy to miraculously change the size of different parts of his body at will. Only a few people around the world are known to be capable of this feat."

Vi Agr A Ch'uan....very dangerous....

Fu Pow you need to learn this so the rest of your body can catch up to your fantastic ego. Have you considered starting a support group for the recovering SD stylist? Then they could learn some real material from you and be happy all the rest of their days.

You really put the FU in Fu Pow:D

Judge Pen
08-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Does Wah Lum compete there?

They did the year before last. I don't know why they did not last year. I'm hoping that they will again this year.

Judge Pen
08-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Evad

You really put the FU in Fu Pow:D

Lol.

CaptinPickAxe
08-22-2003, 12:38 PM
I think this MA is ludicris. They say the Sensei jumped from an 11 story building and landed unscathed. BULLSH!T. I think this gives student the false sense of invinciblity. These are the cats who jump in front of a bullet, try to catch it with there teeth, and are suprised to find out that they have been mortaly wounded. I see lawsuits in the future.

"11yo student of Oom Yung Doe died today. He jumped from a bridge claiming the Kyong Gong Sul Bope movements wouldn't allow him to be injured. He was reported saying 'I just didn't practice hard enough,' before he succumed to his injuries."

thats my prediction.

-master of jumping-off-of-a-buliding-and-hiding-the-injuries-until- the cameras-are-gone kung fu.

Shaolin-Do
08-22-2003, 03:16 PM
My boss let me raid the liquor cabinet on the leer jet.
:D

Figured that was about as relevant as the rest of this thread...

fragbot
08-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow

Is there anyone who thinks it actually is?

9 martial arts taught as one. Well, I've seen their tai chi chung (according to a former moo-er, they made it up in the '88 or '89 time frame; a marketing thing) and it's ungodly awful.

Quite frankly, I think SD is much less nasty than Chung Moo Quan/Chung Moo Doe/Oom Young Doe. Hell, at the very least, the federal government didn't indict and convict a good portion of the SD establishment.

Personally, I'd like to see Kim jump off a 4 (or was it 8) story building.

Besides, if you're a Star Wars freak, Shaolin-Do is kinda cool.

Brad
08-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Not a SD or CMD(OYD) student, but I'll give my opinion...

Whatever you think of Shaolin-Do, the two groups aren't even in the same class. Chung Moo Doe goes beyond questionable lineage and funny looking material to being a dangerous cult... I'm talking serious mental and physical injuries to their own students here :(

Brad
08-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Right now the tentative date is November 1st in Johnson City Tennessee. I don't know what the rules will be this year, but last year had forms, weapons, internal form (either empty hand or weapon) point sparring (uugh) and non-stop sparring. Non-stop is two 45 second rounds with head gear, gloves, shin pads, mouthpiece, and groin protection. The contact is not full, but they do allow contact to the head as long as its not excessive. Take downs are allowed if followed up with a strike, but there's no grappelling per se. The will break you after three seconds.
Are there time limits for internal?

MasterKiller
08-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Besides, if you're a Star Wars freak, Shaolin-Do is kinda cool. How so?

Shaolin-Do
08-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Trying to figure that out myself...

Radhnoti
08-24-2003, 02:20 PM
SD...MK...

C'mon. Chewbacca in Star Wars...and shaolin-do's first grandmaster Su Kong? Drawing any parallels here?

:rolleyes:

;)

Shaolin-Do
08-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah... ha....
ha...
err...

Radhnoti
08-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Hey, I never claimed it was funny.

:p

themeecer
08-24-2003, 05:42 PM
I thought it was funny. In a geeky kind of way.

MasterKiller
08-24-2003, 06:39 PM
It would have been funny if Chewie had been a Jedi, because then you would have some parallels to draw in training, I suppose.

Now, if you would have said that the SD grandmaster reminded you of the wookie Jedi master Tyvoka, who trained Plo Koon (Plo appears in Ep I and Ep II, and the Jedi Power Battles game), then, maybe a Star Wars geek would have been able to come to your conclusion.

;)

Judge Pen
08-25-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Brad

Are there time limits for internal?

There was a time limit. I think it was 3 minutes? I'm not sure exactly.

Shaolin-Do
08-25-2003, 08:28 AM
Only 3 more weeks :)