PDA

View Full Version : how stiff is your wooden dummy?

TjD
08-22-2003, 01:29 PM
i just spent the last week fixing up my jong because it was too stiff and i'd had enough of it.

while the wooden dummies from great lion are very top notch (i really like mine). the stand was just too darn stiff. i reworked the stand quite a bit and loosened it up. instead of having the crossbeams that support the dummy bolted into the 4x4s of the corner stand, i cut slots in the 4x4s and got new thinner crossbeams. i also widened up the wooden pieces that prevented the dummy from having any side to side play. what a difference! the dummy is so much more alive now :D

so this begs the question; at our school we like ours to have a bit of spring the dummy, instead of it just feeling like a wooden wall bag. so how stiff is your wooden dummy?

old jong
08-23-2003, 05:54 AM
Mine is stiff but I think it is O.K.
It should "represent" a very strong opponent anyway.
And we can use real "alive" partners also.;)

kj
08-23-2003, 06:06 AM
I prefer some play in the dummy as Travis described. Sounds like a good tune-up.

Mine is too stiff. In part because the supporting slats don't have enough give. Moreover, the dummy slots for the supporting slats were chiseled offset from one another, to create enough tension to hold the dummy without clamps. I removed retaining bolts at the end of each supporting slat which helped some, but still needs more work. Better yet, a new dummy one of these days, LOL.

Regards,
- kj

old jong
08-23-2003, 06:10 AM
There are many degrees of stiffness! Or play...;)

Mckind13
08-23-2003, 08:13 AM
Mines always stiff at awkward moments :P

David

KPM
08-23-2003, 02:37 PM
My jong is suspended from aluminum pipe cross-bars. Additionally, the wooden frame it is mounted in is free-standing with a relatively narrow base. This means that my dummy has a lot of "spring" or "play" to it. I have worked on very "solid" dummies in the past with very little "spring", and have to say that I am very happy with my current set up.

Keith