PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun vcd - yay or nay

IronFist
08-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Boink! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3343040849&category=2302)

What do you think?

Looks kinda cool.

IronFist

Train
08-22-2003, 11:43 PM
it does look cool!! If you get it, tell me how it is....

Marky
08-23-2003, 04:27 AM
It's pretty good. They have some good explanations of principles in some of the forms, and some good form demonstrations, and A LITTLE good chi sao demonstration.

However, some of the forms didn't even look like wing chun, and some of the chi sao looked like something the Three Stooges would do. And they were really reaching to try and show san shou demonstrations, but it was so obviously choreographed that it was driving me nuts. But they had a very awesome dragon dance demonstration which makes the VCD worth owning in and of itself.

My two favorite parts are a medium-sized black guy doing demonstrations who looks/moves like he's constipated, and the audio commentary to "Master Kwok's" chi sao. Both are in the second VCD.

S.Teebas
08-23-2003, 04:45 AM
My two favorite parts are a medium-sized black guy doing demonstrations who looks/moves like he's constipated,

LOL....Are you talking about the guy doing the techniques or the guy doing the chi sau near the end of it?

kj
08-23-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
What do you think?

Curiosity_&_novelty_value + Money_burning_hole_in_pocket = yay

Otherwise = nay

For learning purposes, better to spend that money treating sifu to lunch.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

old jong
08-23-2003, 05:50 AM
As a man who have a better understanding of money value and have no problem with impulsive shopping...I say ,nay!...;) ;) ;) :D

Marky
08-23-2003, 06:13 AM
"Are you talking about the guy doing the techniques or the guy doing the chi sau near the end of it?"

The guy with the long hair doing the techniques. Actually, the more I think of it, I didn't really like many of the demonstrations in the VCD. Like when they're wearing gloves and helmets and the "master" who's about to be attacked points to one of the attacker's arms or legs, then to a part of his body, as if to say "use that to hit me here". I mean, demonstrations are fine, and san shou is fine. But wearing san shou gear for a demonstration seemed like a transparent attempt to say "this is san shou and not a demonstration." But like I said, I felt that the neon dragon dance was really awesome and had great music.

And geez, how about that silly mock fight scene that syncs with the theme song from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"? I had to fast forward through that!

"For learning purposes, better to spend that money treating sifu to lunch." KJ

I equate this VCD as more of a novelty than a learning tool, as well. It's kind of like a car crash... I knew I could live without seeing it, but some part of me just forced me to turn my head and spend my money.

IronFist
08-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I don't think I want it anymore. It doesn't sound too instructional.

IronFist

old jong
08-23-2003, 03:14 PM
It is instructional!...You learn to be more cautious about how you spend your money in the future!...;)