PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu in NHB (Not dead horse)

PHILBERT
08-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Quick question, and I don't want some "There is no Kung Fu in NHB" responses, though we all know someone will say it just to be sarcastic :p. Other than Jason Delucia, can some people tell me some names of other people who used Kung Fu in NHB matches? I remember there was a Mantis guy who use to do it but quit after a few times. Thanks.

LEGEND
08-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Shonie Carter was a san shou guy for a short time before venturing into MMA. He was tooling a BJJ purple belt in throws...he also did a spinning back fist and KO Matt Serra. There hasn't been that many CMA guys. Hell there's not that many competing in San Shou or San Da tourneys.

Le nOObi
08-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Incorrect Legend Shonie Carter is a Karate practicioner who happened to compete in Sanda. There were a fair number of Kungfu guys in the early ufc's im sure you can find a list of competitors and their styles.

Also almost all Sanda/Sanshou competitors are chinese martial artists.

Stranger
08-24-2003, 12:30 PM
At the UFC in Puerto Rico (the one with the Shamrock vs. Kimo Superfight) there was a huge local fighter that claimed to be a pakua fighter. He did very poorly.

HappyNoodleBoy
08-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Joel Sutton from Buffalo, NY used Eight Step Praying Mantis in UFC and won his fights.

PHILBERT
08-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks, I'm using Sherdog to find these. Reason I'm asking was because I found a couple of UFC DVDs at Suncoast and Sam Goody, and they had the fighters listed, and wanted to see if any of them featured any Kung Fu guys.

truewrestler
08-24-2003, 08:48 PM
http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=107

edit: ...nevermind, I see you are already checking sherdog.com

I think Jason Delucia was the most successfull Kung Fu practitioner in MMA (pancrase). I believe he has retired

Le nOObi
08-25-2003, 06:04 AM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/3595/ufcstats.html

Ford Prefect
08-25-2003, 06:55 AM
Delucia lives and teaches around here. He regularly has his guys compete in local MMA fights. Lets not forget he was a student with the Gracies in Torrance for a bit though. That's why Royce tried to rip his arm off in their fight.

ShaolinTiger00
08-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Carter was never "a sanshou guy" His school is a mma school (Combat-do) and they have just begun to compete in san shou tournaments.