PDA

View Full Version : Ebb & Flow - Practice & Meditation

Nexus
08-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Dear friends, It has been a long while since I have last spoken with you and I hope you are well. I wanted to share with you some insights and hope you take them to heart.

The practice of tai chi chuan, qi gong, and meditation in general is one of harmonizing the body, mind, and spirit. When I say mind, I do not mean the brain, but our consciousness and awareness.

In and out we ebb and flow from one state to another, learning many ways of doing many things and sometimes many ways of doing the same thing (such as the different forms of meditation).

It is not uncommon during the span of a practitioners life to take breaks from certain aspects of their practicing or lifestyle and to focus on others. Ebb and flow is a natural part of life, and sometimes called "change" though often overlooked as being a true yin&yang, it is necessary for the harmony of the body and mind to simply change things up every so often and experience new things. Otherwise we may feel that what we are doing has become stale and exhausted. Of course, I do not mean to emphasize that one cannot be content with what they have, for that is indeed precious also.

Do not be discouraged if you have fallen from the practices or have yet to pick them up. There is always time to practice if we choose to make the time, and there's always time to do other things if we choose to make the time. Treat yourself well and remember to not over do it, and not underdo it, nor try to hard to perfect harmony itself. Simply be who you are and relax, enjoy this life and the many opportunities you have available to you. If opportunity is lacking, open yourself to new ideas, new topics, new relationships, and you will find opportunity reblossoming.

I now have a new email and for those who wish to contact me are encouraged to do so, please private message me with your email address and a friendly greeting.

Take care, and best wishes -
Nexus

Wind&Mountain
09-09-2003, 10:25 AM
I believe that at the beginning stages of learning these arts and ways of life one dedicates every waking moment to learning the fundamentals and the physical motions. Then ,after years of study, these "breaks" you talk about, seem to be more frequent.
it is like one does the art when one has time in this busy world of ours OR they just "ebb and flow" as you say in and out of the practice. I wonder if this is how it was really meant to be in the internal practices? once you have engrained it in to your self and lifestyle is it necessary to go out all the time to do these practices? The elderly seem to do this more often than the young and middle aged.

question: is your avatar actually YOU with a colorful tatoo on your head? :cool: cool.

Peace,,Wind and Mountain

Nexus
09-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Thank you for the reply. I definetely feel that practice should be sustained to some degree throughout ones life, but definetely as we approach the world of business, finance, "paying bills", etc, we need to spend a balanced amount of time getting our life-affairs in order. If you add on children, a spouse, and what say you, then you're extracarricular time diminishes, but does not dissapear.

I agree that many of the long-time practitioners ease a bit in their practice to focus on other things. I have many interests, tai chi, music, dance, art and I enjoy spending time doing all of them. In the beginning of my practices, I did spend most of my time doing only tai chi and sometimes i go back to that. Thank you for sharing and I wish you the best.