PDA

View Full Version : Violence, MA

Shaolin-Do
08-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Just curious, but do you feel like you have become more aggressive due to kung fu training? More willing to fight?
Or has kung fu humbled you?
How so?

Black Jack
08-25-2003, 09:31 AM
I don't think being aggressive and being humble in a martial aspect have to be different sides of the same coin.

Being humble as in knowing that getting into a worthless scrap over sheer ego is the wrong thing to do and that fights should be avoided is different than knowing that if you have to fight than be aggressive, strike first, and strike hard as solid self defense training dictates.

Ray Pina
08-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Surfing and writing balances me out.

Hsing-I has certianly made me more direct in my speach though, and I'm a lot better equiped to throw down if need be ... ALMOST to the point sometimes I wish somebody did something stupid ... ALMOST!

shaolinboxer
08-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Many of us need to develop our aggressive side, to balance ourselves out. Sometimes the pendulum swings a bit to far and we become excessively aggressive. But usually, living longer brings us back to the center.

CaptinPickAxe
08-25-2003, 02:31 PM
I think its a process,
1st: you become agressive, you want to try all "the cool moves" you learn
2nd: you learn that the moves you learn are dangerous, and some you learn are deadly. Its not worth hurting someone just to see how it looks and feels in a real life situation.

so, I've been through both phases. Now, I am happy to say, I am humble. Fighting is not the answer no matter what, and no matter how fun it can be. Most times, there is a way out of a fight, unless you put yourself in a postion to p!ss some one off to the point of blind rage.

Shaolin-Do
08-25-2003, 02:34 PM
hehehe
Im for the most part humbled, but sometims feel the need to "test myself"... Get a good focal point as to where I combatively stand.
:)

CaptinPickAxe
08-25-2003, 02:37 PM
no, your just a drunken, bilegerant Texan, SD.

Shaolin-Do
08-25-2003, 02:39 PM
belligerant :)

Cant argue that.... :)

cho
08-25-2003, 04:07 PM
learning to punch makes you aggressive,
taking a punch makes you humble.

there, zenned it all up

Starchaser107
08-25-2003, 07:31 PM
I think I've become better at being humble when it is necessary, and agressive when it is needed. Both these states of being are necessary.

Brad
08-25-2003, 07:36 PM
I haven't been in a single fight since I started martial arts. I wouldn't attribute that entirely to ma training though.

Starchaser107
08-25-2003, 10:27 PM
" U scared...U scared..stop actin like a b!@*# U scared"

BIA BIAaaatch

jus kiddin:D

Fu-Pow
08-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Sometimes it is better to turn the other cheek, sometimes it is better to strike back twice as hard.

The important part is the WHY.

There is a story I remember reading about a samurai who was about to kill his adversary on the battle field. Just as he was about slash his sword his adversary spit in his face.
He was overcome by anger and so he walked away, sparing his opponent life.

Aggression is appropriate only when carried out for legitimate reasons not out of reactionary anger.

Good martial arts training should instill this discipline in you.

But to answer your question. Yes, practicing martial arts will initially make you more agressive.

You will have more energy and more focus and handful of techniques.

You will think you are invincible.

Then your Si Hing pounds your ass and you realize you are still in diapers.