PDA

View Full Version : Grip strength

Shaolin-Do
08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Just bought a product called Dyna Flex, for hand and wrist strengthening. Have to say that it works way better than springed "grip master". Lots less monotonous too.

http://www.dynaflex-intl.com

Just thought id share with you all... :)

Merryprankster
08-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Try the captains of crush gripper from Ironmind. It's REAL strength training for the grip. I have three. Good stuff.

IronFist
08-25-2003, 06:30 PM
The only grip trainer I saw on that page was the gyro trainer. That doesn't really train grip strength, does it? It just spins and you have to resist its motion or something, right?

Did I miss the grip strength product?

IronFist

Surferdude
08-25-2003, 07:29 PM
I like this one!!!:D
Eagle Catcher..... (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/20-71.html)
(oh yea rack up anonther one for surferdude :rolleyes: :o :D )

Black Jack
08-25-2003, 07:54 PM
I tend to use a forearm roller and free weight hammer strength machine at the gym but here is a neat, and very cheap, but slightly dirty one at home.

When you are done with your morning newspaper take a few pages out and start slowly crumbling it from one corner with the goal squeezing it into the palm of your hand. Go through as much paper as want. IMO this really starts to burn the hand muscles and even hits the forearms as well.

The only downside is it gets newspaper ink on your hands.

Shaolin-Do
08-25-2003, 08:43 PM
The gyro is the grip trainer, think of it as static postures for your hand. Trust me. Sh!t works great.
;)

Mr Punch
08-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Try the captains of crush gripper from Ironmind. It's REAL strength training for the grip. I have three. Good stuff. I didn't realise you'd changed your job MP!:D Where do I send the cheque,a nd what's your commission?

Seriously though, what are you calling an 'unreal', fake or substandard grip strengthener?

Personally, I like to crush babies' skulls with one hand...
weeell, GDA IS still banned...!

Stacey
08-25-2003, 11:23 PM
oil up your "massager" and try to hold it without it slipping out. First wash it if the Vibra-tor doesn't belong to you. This will work much like the gyroscope.

Laughing Cow
08-25-2003, 11:30 PM
captains of crush gripper & Eagle catcher been around for a long time.
:eek:

You can also try Tennis Balls. they work great too. When you can get one to pop you are ready for "Stealing the peach".
;)

Or try using iron rings, works similar to the eagle-catcher (which ain't that comfortable).

IronFist
08-26-2003, 12:08 AM
My friend had one of those gyro trainers for rehab when he hurt his hand. I'm still not so sure how much it would help developing grip strength, though. Maybe it would get you used to holding on to something that's trying to get away, but it's not going to let you crush anything. I'm curious how you're using it in your training.

Speaking of crushing, Captains of Crush grippers are awesome. I recommend them as well. Start with the trainer, no matter how strong you think you are.

The only problem with them is that if you have smaller hands, it might be hard to hold it properly.

IronFist

Shaolin-Do
08-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Dont really use it for "Training" hehehe... Do lots of hand excersises. Have this for work and the like, just keep it goin real fast.

Anybody got a link for the "captains of crush gripper"?

Merryprankster
08-26-2003, 02:22 AM
Oh I haven't changed my job, but when I find something that actually works, I'm fairly impressed.

I have good, but not great grip strength. It's stronger than most for a guy my size, but I'm trying to work up to the level of a fellow named Phil. Phil outweighs me by about 30 lbs and if he has his hands on you, and he doesn't want to move them, I wish you well.

I agree with Ironfist--you HAVE to start with the trainer. When you can do about 20 in one hand, switch up a level. Rinse, lather, repeat. These things are no joke, and WILL cause teninitis if you overdo it. You have to treat it like NORMAL strength training, not like those terrible plastic grip things that you can do all day.

There are 5 levels. Trainer, 1, 2, 3 and 4. Only a handful of people have ever closed a 4. There are other specialized grip training and strength training devices at Ironmind. These guys know their stuff and have designed equipment based around some unusual requirements.

www.ironmind.com However, last I checked, there is no online catalogue. You'll have to order it.

Oso
08-26-2003, 04:48 AM
get a job as a plumber. cutting and cleaning pipe for 2 years did wonders. I went to work there all impressed w/ my 'kung fu' grip and by the end of the first week I couldn't open or close my hand completely. That was ain 90-91 and it left me w/ a base grip strength that has stuck with me. Now, I'm trending into that "old man" strength. ;)

somewhere along the way I picked up that if you trained w/ free weights then unless you were looking for extraordinary hand strength you would aquire decent hand strength as a byproduct of the other lifting. that's the only thing I've done lately. I bet that kettlebell thing has the same affect.

Dale Dugas
08-26-2003, 05:18 AM
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/

I have a few of the grippers. They are the best ones on the market for those who are into that style of gripper. Look at the books listed on the order site about grip training. Great stuff!!

Dale Dugas

BentMonk
08-26-2003, 07:02 AM
Since all of my "kicks" are actually knees and elbows, I have been forced to become a grappler. I prefer going punch for punch, but I have to train realisticly. In addition to several other things, I needed to develop an above average grip. After nine years of finger tip push ups, pull ups, free weights, and kettle bells, I can reccomend two specific exercises that produced quick usable results. The first is "towel pull ups" Take a hand towel, loop it over a pull up bar as if you were going to ride a zip line, grip each side of the towel, and pull up. Be sure to keep your hands even, and get full range of motion on each pull. Bend your knees if you have to so that you can go all the way down and back up. Go slow and keep good form. Quality is way more important than quantity. The second is kettlebells. Any exercise done with them will work on grip strength, as well as many other things. They are a good companion to any training regimen. For more info on kettlebells or other strength and conditioning techniques check out: www.FulcrumFitness.com

fragbot
08-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
I agree with Ironfist--you HAVE to start with the trainer. When you can do about 20 in one hand, switch up a level. Rinse, lather, repeat. These things are no joke, and WILL cause teninitis if you overdo it. You have to treat it like NORMAL strength training, not like those terrible plastic grip things that you can do all day.

They recommend you treat it just like you would heavy deadlifts or squats.

There are 5 levels. Trainer, 1, 2, 3 and 4. Only a handful of people have ever closed a 4. There are other specialized grip training and strength training devices at Ironmind. These guys know their stuff and have designed equipment based around some unusual requirements.

Not to be a pr***, but they only know of *one* guy who's ever closed a #4.

I also like their blockbuster pinch grip block, the hub-style pinch gripper, their wrist stuff (wrist reinforcer or heavy hammer II), and theirweighted rope.

www.ironmind.com However, last I checked, there is no online catalogue. You'll have to order it. [/B]

They have online ordering now.

Merryprankster
08-26-2003, 08:34 AM
I love towel pull ups!

fragbot, I thought a couple of guys had closed it. Sorry!

Ford Prefect
08-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Gotta agree with MP, and try the Captains of Crush grippers from http://www.ironmind.com

I have two and they've strengthened my grip like nothing else I've tried. You'd most likely find the level 1 gripper hard to close right off the bat.

IronFist
08-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Do 20 reps with the trainer before moving on? That's a lot. I waited until I could do about 2 reps before moving on, and then I was able to close the number 1 after a few weeks or a month. I don't remember. But I probably could never do more than 4 or 5 reps with the trainer.

IronFist

bobojoe02
08-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Just bought a product called Dyna Flex, for hand and wrist strengthening. Have to say that it works way better than springed "grip master". Lots less monotonous too.

http://www.dynaflex-intl.com

Just thought id share with you all... :)

Share what? You still doing that silly grip stuff, huh? yeah, the shaolin-do-do will never change. Kiya, Mofo. Grunt, strain, huff and puff. Telegrapgh and get whipped by the street fighters.

I studied in Singapore, and Beijing for over 25 years and they laugh their as. off at the shaolin-do-do comments made by your group when I send them it. You should be proud of your honest but misinformed do-do.

Kiya, Mofo.
Karate is better than what you do-do.
LMAO

Shaolin-Do
08-26-2003, 12:37 PM
lofl... Ignorant bafoon. Its what I do while I sit at work and watch TV. Id be willing to bet I train as hard or harder than any of you prat sissy boy b!tches dissing SD all the time. Sh!ts starting to get under my skin.

Shaolin-Do
08-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the links btw, Will probably order one of these this week. All of you gave it great review as well... :)

CaptinPickAxe
08-26-2003, 12:51 PM
I think I have a mite eating away at the back of my brain...

AHHHHH! THE PAIN!

CaptinPickAxe
08-26-2003, 12:54 PM
*****joe doesn't have any MA listed in his profile...
Maybe he's studing the mystic art of trolling...

bobojoe02
08-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
I think I have a mite eating away at the back of my brain...

AHHHHH! THE PAIN!

Hey, Cap, too much of that shaolin do-do, huh? Eats the brain away, everytime. Just look at shaolin-do-do's latest comments. No one can understand that except his girl friend, shadow.

Respectfully,
Bo
A NON-shaolin do-do man.

CaptinPickAxe
08-26-2003, 12:59 PM
who are you?
ah....the rook...
welcome to the forum.

Shaolin-Do
08-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Ahh... Wonderful is the ignore button.
:)

CaptinPickAxe
08-26-2003, 01:00 PM
gettin' harrased, SD?

Merryprankster
08-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Ironfist,

I got teninitis when I moved up too quickly. Maybe it's just me!

IronFist
08-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
lofl... Ignorant bafoon. Its what I do while I sit at work and watch TV. Id be willing to bet I train as hard or harder than any of you prat sissy boy b!tches dissing SD all the time. Sh!ts starting to get under my skin.

What's a "prat?"

IronFist

Shaolin-Do
08-26-2003, 05:40 PM
a dirty cu.nt

ehhe
Actually just another term for rich kids. Good preamble to "cu nt, or bi tch, or pu ssy"
:)

IronFist
08-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Cool, thanks.

IronFist

Starchaser107
08-27-2003, 12:17 AM
SD,
for the record, i think it's unfortunate you guys get ragged on so much. Yet you still show up, you guys must have cultivated strong charachter or at least thick faces. Continue to train hard, and follow what you believe in.
peace