PDA

View Full Version : Sword Video

Genesis
08-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey people,

I thought someone here may be able to help me. I am looking for clips which I can download of chinese swoprdplay, forms, sparring, fooling around, Anything that involves a chinese sword and somone who has some sort of idea what they are doing.

The more flashy the better.

Aside from kung fu, I am an animator, and I am currently looking for reference for a piece I am working on involving a Chinese sword fighter. So any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Brad
08-26-2003, 07:05 AM
should be plenty of stuff at http://www.wushucentral.com :)

MaFuYee
08-26-2003, 07:24 AM
genesis;

could you be a little more specific please?

chinese straight sword, or broad sword?

* there is a big difference between realistic sword fighting and stage fighting. - which are you interested in?

** stage fighting swordplay usually involves a lot of blade on blade "blocking", for sound effect, and so the audience can identify who is attacking and who is defending. - in actual swordplay, that type of edge on edge contact is typically avoided. - it causes nicks, chips, and quickly leads to breakage. - in a sword form, when you see something that looks like a 'block', it is not the other weapon you are trying to connect with, but the other person's hand, wrist or arm.

*** prearranged 2 man sword forms are also not practical for giving a good idea of what actual sword combat looks like. - they are stylised, and often times the movements have 'hidden' meanings that are ideally taught, and should be understood by someone knowledgable in weapons usage, but would not be practicable in a continuous form. (if the actual application was done, the form would not be able to continue.)

for more realistic sword fighting, look to the S.C.A., (society for creative anachronism) or maybe kendo?

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by MaFuYee
** in actual swordplay, that type of edge on edge contact is typically avoided. - it causes nicks, chips, and quickly leads to breakage. - in a sword form, when you see something that looks like a 'block', it is not the other weapon you are trying to connect with, but the other person's hand, wrist or arm.

or they attempt to defelct the blade of the opponents sword with the flat or back part of the sword.

Genesis
08-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks Brad, that site is great. I have got some good reference from there.

More specificly I am looking for more stage style stuff, one person, dynamic movements with a single straight sword for a short (3-4 second) animation clip. They dont have to be real movments, or ones you would use in a fight.

Thanks again,

themeecer
08-26-2003, 07:42 PM
I have the perfect sword video for you. It is quite a long download but it is well worth it. It is a fan made star wars fight done with an asian flare. This has to be the best light saber duel I have ever seen.
I would recommend everyone download this.

http://www.theforce.net/theater/fxprojects/aos2/index.shtml

MasterKiller
08-27-2003, 06:54 AM
That one is good, but the chick in Dark Redemption is scrum-diddli-umptious:

http://theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/darkredemption/index.shtml