PDA

View Full Version : double staff?

draggin dragon
08-26-2003, 02:29 AM
It has taken several hours of practice, but I can now twirl two staffs at the same time without banging them together (or smashing my skull). I was just fooling around, having fun. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen, or heard of a double staff form?

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 06:16 AM
How long are the staffs?

Souljah
08-26-2003, 07:08 AM
How long are the staffs?
yes
What type of staff? (bo, jo?)
And what type of 'twirling' do you mean? sorry, I know its probably hard to describe in words, I just want to know so I can av a butchers at it....

:)

draggin dragon
08-26-2003, 09:34 AM
I use 6ft. rattan staffs. So far I can only do the basic figure "8" pattern when using them one in each hand, but I have found that it is possible to get both of them in sync, or with a little concentration--to get them going in opposite directions crossing in the front & rear without hitting ea. other (or myself). Does that help any?

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Why not just use double whip-chain instead? You would be using the same control technique, but 2 chains would be far more practical and versatile.

draggin dragon
08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Yes. I can see your point. The movements are much the same. Do you have any experience with whipchain. Any recommendations for books, or videos?

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 10:57 AM
I know single whip. We teach doubles, but I haven't learned it yet.

I have one of those Shaolin double chain videos, but it's in Chinese and the chain moves so fast, even in slo-mo, that you'd have a hard time figuring out the techniques. Maybe WLE or MAM has a better one.

draggin dragon
08-26-2003, 11:29 AM
How difficult was it for you to learn the whip? I always thought it looks tricky?

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 11:38 AM
It was hard. I'm still not great with it, and I've been using it off and on for about 2 years. I'd probably be better with it, but I only practice it 3 or 4 times a month because I like a few other weapons better.

As hard as chain is to learn, 3-Section staff is much harder.

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller

As hard as chain is to learn, 3-Section staff is much harder.

I've heard that. I've toyed around with both and it wasn't pretty. :(

draggin dragon
08-26-2003, 11:51 AM
I have always been interested in the whip, but I think it is a little advanced for me right now. I know what you mean about the practice time. It's too much to practice everything for most of us. Right now I am concentrating on my hand forms. When I am lucky I find the time for a little staff work, or straight sword.

What othewr weapons do you like to work with?

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 11:54 AM
3-section, monk spade, and double broadswords are my favorite right now. I also like straight sword, but I'm lacking some of the grace needed to really use that weapon correctly.

Starchaser107
08-26-2003, 11:54 AM
I agree , I find the three section staff harder than steel whip
To get a 3 sect. staff looking good it takes alot of skill

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 11:56 AM
I also like straight sword, but I'm lacking some of the grace needed to really use that weapon correctly.

You're preaching to the choir on that one! :p

norther practitioner
08-26-2003, 11:58 AM
but I'm lacking some of the grace needed to really use that weapon correctly.

You ain't joking bro... :eek: :D
Just joking... I thought your monk spade was pretty cool, I'd like to see your guys double dao...

I'm thinking of picking up either double hook, double dao, or 3 section as my next weapon, but I need the time to learn and practice it as well:mad: my plate is a bit full right now.

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Double hook and double dao looks interesting too. I'd also like to learn snake spear, but there's not one in our curriculim. :eek: :D

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 12:04 PM
You ain't joking bro... :mad:
**** sitdown stances

My double sword form is smokin. If I go to AAU Nationals this weekend, I'll most likely do that form.

After I polish up my spear form a bit, Double-Hooks is next, then I hope to learn rope-dart in the spring.

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 12:06 PM
:mad:
**** sitdown stances

My double sword form is smokin. If I go to AAU Nationals this weekend, I'll most likely do that form.

After I polish up my spear form a bit, Double-Hooks is next, then I hope to learn rope-dart in the spring.

How many weapons in your curriculim?

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 12:10 PM
How many weapons in your curriculim? 18.

norther practitioner
08-26-2003, 12:12 PM
If what I remember is correct, MKs got like all of them...lol

oh, I see I was too late..

we've got a bunch too... :D no chain or rope dart though:(

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 12:13 PM

Staff, spear, snake spear, kwan dao, dao, monk's spade, chain whip, rope dart, straight sword, double dao, double hook . . . What am I missing here?

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Long weapons
1. Staff
2. Spear
3. Snake spear
4. Kwan dao
5. Monk's spade
6. Horse cutting knife
7. Long axe

Short weapons
8. Straight sword
9. Two-handed straight sword
10. Dao
11. Double dao
12. Heaven and Earth Sword
13. Emei piercers
14. Double hooks

Flexible weapons
15. Chain whip
16. Rope dart
17. 3-section staff
18. Double chain

Some weapons have multiple sets.

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Heaven and Earth Sword

Have a picture?

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Ask, and ye shall receive... (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/4543.html)

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Isn't that what the Klingons (sp) fight with?

norther practitioner
08-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Not trolling here, but what weapons do you learn Judge Pen?

We have:
straight sword (3 forms)
fan (1.5 forms (they are two different versions of the same thing)
dao (Prob. like 4 forms)
staff (three that I know of)
spear (1 or two I think)
double dao (1)
double rings (1)
double hook swords (1)
three section staff (1)
cane (1)
and some sort of halberd, don't know if it is spring autumn dao or kwan dao or what...:D

Plus taiji.

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Not really the same (http://home.neo.rr.com/batleth/)

Judge Pen
08-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Not trolling here, but what weapons do you learn Judge Pen?

We have:
straight sword
fan
dao
staff
spear
double dao
double rings
double hook swords
three section staff
cane
and some sort of halberd, don't know if it is spring autumn dao or kwan dao or what...:D

I have:

Staff (3 forms)
spear (4 forms)
Kwan dao (1 form)
dao (one form)
straight sword (3 forms, but one is tai chi)
short stick (1 form)
two sticks of equal length attached by a cord (20 techniques, but not a form)
A weapon that resembles a sai (one form)
Chen tai chi fan
I will be learning a chain whip, another staff form, 3-sectional staff, and double hook swords in the future.

I've seen some other people use double hand axes and double daggers, double dao, and double straight swords as well.

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Actually, I just spoke with Sifu. He says Heaven and Earth sword is not part of our curriculum. He just teaches now and then for people to use it in shows. Which is good, because I think the form is g@y and didn't really want to learn it, anyway.

Double-Sided Halberd (http://www.wle.com//products/W324.html) is the 18th weapon (we call it a dragon-headed spear).

draggin dragon
08-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Double rings? Are you refering to wind & fire rings?

I've have always heard that the straight sword is considered the grandaddy in terms of skill to perform correctly. Yes?

Shaolin-Do
08-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Thats a pretty tough ass halberd.
I want to learn the liu kwei axes... those look fun.
Rope dart looks hella fun too.

MasterKiller
08-26-2003, 07:02 PM
I've have always heard that the straight sword is considered the grandaddy in terms of skill to perform correctly. Yes? Yes.

But you can really hurt yourself while learning flexible weapons, so respect them as well.

Shaolin-Do
08-26-2003, 07:04 PM
3 section is a *******.

Brad
08-26-2003, 07:35 PM
My coach broke mine :( Started whiping that thing around and one of the sections went flying off :P