PDA

View Full Version : Horracio Lopez

Shaolin-Do
08-27-2003, 12:57 PM
This guy is a supposed Taiji master. Charges kinda outrageous tho, but I was wondering if any have heard of him? I believe its Chen style... He lives in san antonio texas.

RAF
08-27-2003, 01:49 PM
San Antonio
Center Director: Horacio Lopez
120 Blue Star Pl. #1
San Antonio, Texas 78204
(210) 225-2743
horacio@yangfamilytaichi.com

http://www.sataichi.com/

Its Yang's taijiquan that he teaches and he opened one of the first Centers for Yang Zhen Duo.

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/

Good luck with your search.

bobojoe02
08-27-2003, 04:58 PM
shaolin-do writes:
"This guy is a supposed Taiji master. Charges kinda outrageous tho, but I was wondering if any have heard of him? I believe its Chen style... He lives in san antonio texas."

Thanks for the latest gossip, there, girly, we neeed another regular Ann Landers on here to keep us gagging with smut comments. I can't believe your girlfriend shadow isn't Behind you, literally. Although maybe he is.

Peace,
Bo

scotty1
08-28-2003, 07:47 AM
bobojoe02 - leave it out.

Vash
09-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Verily, BoBoJoe02 or whatever! Thou art mighty indeed!

So mighty, I suggest you run in front of a moving bus - no, a TRAIN!!!! Just to show us mere mortals who only "train" in useless combat the true power of those cool foreign words you use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lin-Wu
09-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Can someone tell me what is this Yang Zhen Duo on RAF`s post?I don`t think I ever heard it before

Lin-Wu

GLW
09-09-2003, 03:33 PM
History lesson:

Yang Style Taijiquan - Created by Yang Luchan.

Yang Luchan passed it on to his sons. Although many people claim to do Yang Luchan's original form or even that of his sons (in particular, Yang Banhuo...but he only had 4 students noted), there is no real record that any of those forms are truly verifiable and traceable back to their supposed source. Doesn't mean they aren't but some of the stories are highly unlikely.

Third generation...Yang Chengfu. Yang Chengfu standardized the Yang style form into what it is today. He had notable students such as Fu Zhongwen, Dong Yingjie, and others. Dong's lineage maintains a fast routine and give credit to Yang Chengfu but it is possible that Dong created this routine and gave credit to his teacher.

Yang Chengfu had - I believe...but this is from memory --- 3 sons. The youngest was Yang Zhenduo. Yang Zhenduo was about 9 years old when his father died. Yang Chengfu died in his mid 50's...from the stories, it sounds like dysentery which was not all that uncommon back in China of the 1930's.

Yang Zhenduo has a grandson, Yang jun.

They are one of the major branches of Yang Family Taijiquan. Some maintain the most important one because of Yang Zhenduo being Yang Chengfu's son. Others would give that distinction to Fu Zhongwen due to the amount of time spent with Yang Chengfu and the young age of Yang Zhenduo when his father died. Still others look to folks like Dong and a few others.

Either way, Yang style from Yang Zhenduo or the other verifiable lineages will have the same routine and with the exception of personal flavors, the same principles and emphasis.

Laughing Cow
09-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Although many people claim to do Yang Luchan's original form or even that of his sons (in particular, Yang Banhuo...but he only had 4 students noted), there is no real record that any of those forms are truly verifiable and traceable back to their supposed source.

Didn't YLC also teach at a school outside the Imperial palace?

Agreed, that within the palace the is recorded to have taught the 3 bodyguards and his sons only.

From what I understood he taught slightly different versions at the palace and outside the palace.

Cheers.

Lin-Wu
09-09-2003, 07:10 PM
I`m sorry about asking,but after all,I`m still learning...

Lin-Wu
09-09-2003, 07:12 PM
I may be learning tai ji history,but I`m forgetting to be polite:Thank you very much!

Laughing Cow
09-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Win Lu.

Each of the 5 main Tai Ji styles has any number of sub-styles, some are even been added now as we speak.
Besides the 5 main-styles there are also a number of sub-styles.

Chen TJQ has 4 or 5 depending on who you speak to, but I think 1 new one is currently being added.

Yang has a large number of sub-styles(10+), which can differ quiet a bit in feel and expression of the forms.

Add to that that each sub-style has regional differences and differences due to each teacher.

Also many people claiming that they got the "old" or "original" form of XYZ don't help, unless there is varifiable proof to the fact.

And you got a big pot of variations.

Adding to the whole mess is that a lot of information has not come out of china yet and what is known often has not been translated from chinese.
Nor does it help that a lot of information has to be compiled from 3rd party sources as many "masters" did not leave their own records for a number of reasons.

I think in the future we will see more styles and lineages emerge.

In the long run, as long as the TJQ principles are present and expressed it will be TJQ regardless of style or lineage.

Cheers.

P.S.: There are some good sources online that go into the histories and try to seperate fact from myth.

Shaolin-Do
09-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Does anyone here train under horracio lopez?

bob10
09-10-2003, 02:19 AM
Yang Zhen Do's style is governement approved Yang style, so the emphasis will be different from say, his elder brother Yang Sau Cheung's style.

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Soo.... Does anyone train with him?
How is his taiji?

Lin-Wu
09-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Laughing Cow

Thanks for explainig that to me,I have never imagined there were so many sub styles!!
And please,do NOT call me Win Lu!!!:)

GLW
09-10-2003, 02:09 PM
In regards to "Official" PRC Taijiquan...

There is NO sanctioned Yang Style.

The standard routines include things like 24 Posture, 48, 42, 88 (which closely resembles traditional Yang Chengfu routine) and then you have the competition routines.

There IS a competition Yang style routine. Both fu Zhongwen and Yang Zheduo were not too thrilled with that routine. Neither were included in the creation of it and only asked to review it out of courtesy AFTER the routine was created. Both panned it badly.

Yang Zhenduo's methods from his brothers more reflect his personal emphasis, the young age at which his father died, and personal style.

Politics has virtually nothing to do with the differences here.

bob10
09-11-2003, 02:04 AM
And yet, I heard from close sources that his elder brother, Zhen Ji, refused to go along with government requests, and so has been kept in relative obscurity.

Brad
09-11-2003, 06:26 AM
I was just about to ask what happened to his older brothers :D

Anyway, still the official PRC Yang style(at least labled Yang style) would be the 40 and 88 movement forms which he was not involved with. This refusing to go along with government requests thing... could that have to do with the cultural revolution? You know, when the government banned the teaching of application for 10 years or so? Just thinking it could mean he went along with what the government said while his bro decided to continue teaching as a martial art in secret or stop teaching entirely.

GLW
09-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Government requests can cover a wide range of things...

For example, the writings on the history of Yang style from sources such as Fu Zhongwen published back in the late 1950's compared to the same history published after 1975 have some differences...and some are key - as in how Yang Luchan ended up learning from the Chen's. The later story has him being there voluntarily while the original tells a tale of a child sold as an indentured servant. BIG difference in treatment.

There are also day to day government things that are 'suggestions' or requests. No telling what the relationship was there.

Then, you also have location. Sun Jianyun lived in Beijing. There are a great many well known wushu families in Beijing. Therefore, Sun Jianyun was not promoted much...Sun style Taijiquan and BAgua being relatively obscure styles for a long time.

Without knowing the particulars, you can't really read too much into it one way or another.