PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone teach their Wife/Girlfriend (or spouse) to fight?

Can-O-Bud
05-09-2001, 06:01 PM
Do any of you guys spend time teaching you wives to defend themselves?

In general most women are not interest in fighting, but I think we should all know the basics.

What's your opinion on this? Do you insist that your wife/girlfriend learns at least some MA?

"My twa boab"

JWTAYLOR
05-09-2001, 06:35 PM
Yes and no. I've spent allot of time with her on environmental awareness, and paying attention to that little voice in your head. But she's allot smarter than me about that kind of stuff anyway. And she's a tough as nails country girl. She's 5 foot tall and I saw her knock down a large man at a concert. She did just what she was supposed to do. He pushed her, and she immediately hit him as hard as she could right in the side of the head. He dropped, and she ran. Hit and run. Good girl.

So she's got the important part down. What I've worked with her his using a weapon. She carries a large pocket knife with her always, and I've shown her how to take it out whenever she is scarred and to hide it in her hand so that others don't immediately see it. She's pretty good at that and she has no problem taking it out whenever she even feels a twinge of fear. There has been more than once when we'll be walking downtown at night and I'll catch her putting the knife back into her pocket.
And we drill multiple stabbing. Really what I want is her to just stabb and keep on stabbing until she's satisfied. I have an old heavy bag we work stabbing a dull pocket knife into. Same with guns in our home. We've gone into the back yard and I teach her to fire, reload, fire, reload, etc. Until she's out of rounds. We don't work marksmanship, as the guns are all rifles and a shotgun anyway. I've never even shown her how to load the pistol. At the range we train, marksmanship is moot.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Can-O-Bud
05-09-2001, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately in the UK we can not carry weapons that are deemed offensive. And beleive me guns are a big no-no here.

I was just wondering what essential techniques a woman should know. Eyes strikes? Groin strikes?

Your wife is obviously a real tough woman, with a tough head to match. My wife is less so, and in any defense situation I think she'd be terrified!

Any further advice?

"My twa boab"

joedoe
05-10-2001, 02:13 AM
My GF trains with me. We actually met through the martial arts. I don't have to teach her anything because she is pretty good anyway.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Radhnoti
05-10-2001, 07:54 AM
My wife knows how to shoot all our guns. We've gone over how to use the can of mace she carries as well. (You know, the whole pull it out, shout, point and spray...)
I've gone over some basic "places to strike", but I think she'd have to practice a bit more to be effective. I'm hoping my teacher will have the women's self defense seminar he keeps talking about hosting...I'll definitely sign her up.
JWT, enviornmental awareness is something my teacher goes into a great deal, but I have to admit I can't seem to get the importance of it across without sounding psychotic. :)
I end up sounding like a guy trying to scare kids around a campfire.
Me: "There was this woman once...she was walking to her car, and this kid getting initiated into a gang cut her hamstring and ran off! No reason! You gotta be ready!"
Her: "Yes dear. (Thought bubble-PSYCHO)"

And yes, I know that example is just an urban legend before someone points it out.
:p

-Radhnoti

joedoe
05-10-2001, 08:46 AM
It's funny. I have travelled several times with my GF and we work really well as a team - we watch each other's back really well and we are both very aware of our environments. A match made in heaven :)

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

tnwingtsun
05-10-2001, 10:14 AM
God help us all............

HELL NO!!!!!! :D

SevenStar
05-11-2001, 10:26 AM
We do environmental awareness training, and recently I have sparked her interest in boxing, so I cover the basics and do drills with her. We also do very light sparring, as she is still new to it.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

freestyle
05-11-2001, 11:44 AM
Gal should know a bit self defense for any emergency situation

SLC
05-13-2001, 08:02 PM
She is one of those "don't confuse me with the facts" people. Just trusts in blind luck.

Oh, well....

dunbarj01
05-14-2001, 08:36 AM
Doing a half hour horse stance would be easier.

shaolinboxer
05-30-2001, 05:53 PM
My fiance does not like to practice martial arts. But she observes me. Sometime she likes to play fight, and I see her using evasion techniques and deceptive striking.

So, no I don't teach her or insist that she practices...but she is smart and picks it up regardless.