PDA

View Full Version : Hsing Yi is From Mars: Bagua is from Venus

KC Elbows
08-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Yep, it's the self improvement thread all over again.

So, where do you stand on this issue? Is martial arts about self improvement? Do you believe there is something inherent in the movements that does this, or would any physical activity suffice?

Or do you think it's about fighting?

I think it's about fighting, and some people find it to have meaning to them that enables them to use it for self imporvement, just like anything else.

Also, do you like chubby girls?

Judge Pen
08-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by KC Elbows

So, where do you stand on this issue? Is martial arts about self improvement? Do you believe there is something inherent in the movements that does this, or would any physical activity suffice?

I think it's about fighting, and some people find it to have meaning to them that enables them to use it for self imporvement, just like anything else.

Also, do you like chubby girls?

I like both.

Yes.

I belive that there is something inherent in the movements that makes it an improvement over any physical activity and that is the ability to fight that is gleaned from the practice.

If they are cute and they have a great personality, I'd date a chubby girl.

TonyM.
08-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Yes,yes,yes and yes. All within reason of course.

MasterKiller
08-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Pushing yourself to the physical levels required to be a good fighter requires discipline, hard work, and dedication, all of which make you a better person.

Of course, you could still be a great fighter and a dlck to others, but you can't train the dlckiness out of someone, you have to beat it out---which is why MA is all about fighting.

And chubby girls give the best oral. Skinny chicks are skinny because they don't put things in their mouths.

old jong
08-28-2003, 10:35 AM
If playing Ping Pong can be good for somebody's health or reflexes or who knows, I think good martial arts training can have some very good side effects on practitioners.
The general rule should be "too much is the same as not enough"
There is a life outside martial arts too.

old jong
08-28-2003, 10:37 AM
BTW, Hsing Yi from Mars /Bagua from Venus!...Where do you think Tai-Chi is from?...;)

Judge Pen
08-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by old jong
BTW, Hsing Yi from Mars /Bagua from Venus!...Where do you think Tai-Chi is from?...;)

Chen Village, China. :p

old jong
08-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Good!...This answer eliminate all "wise guy" answers form this good thread! ;)

KC Elbows
08-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Pushing yourself to the physical levels required to be a good fighter requires discipline, hard work, and dedication, all of which make you a better person.

It took discipline, hard work, and dedication to rise through the ranks of the SS as well. And I hear there were beatings. Yet the SS is not universally known as having produced good people. Why would martial arts?

count
08-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by KC Elbows

Martiall arts is clearly about fighting. The question is, who are you fighting?

BTW, Hsing Yi from Mars /Bagua from Venus!...Where do you think Tai-Chi is from?...
Uranus

:D

TonyM.
08-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Both Masterkiller and KC Elbows made me spew coffee. You're kong jing skills are magnificent.

rubthebuddha
08-28-2003, 10:57 AM
i guess then it's all about character building. it's just that the SS was building a very specific type of character.

i guess to the concepts of hard work, discipline and dedication, we must add other concepts, such as humility, compassion, benevolence, etc. in place of attributes the SS would encourage, like elitism.

KC Elbows
08-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Yes, wing tsun is not known for elitist tendencies, provided you follow the spelling convention.:p :D

However, all good points.

old jong
08-28-2003, 11:05 AM
The SS were convinced of being the sole possessors of the truth and justice. They wore belts with "god is with us" written on the buckle. They followed their crasy leader blindly,believeing that only "he" could lead them to their "thousand year reich" of peace.They had the divine right of invading any country they choose because they were superior...Hey!...this could happen to anybody!....
It makes me think about the force or the dark side!...I think martial arts can help the good be better and the worse be better at being worse!... But,nobody knows for sure.There are exceptions.
;)

apoweyn
08-28-2003, 11:15 AM
The term "character building" gets attached to pretty much any hardship. And there's certainly plenty of hardship to be found in a good martial arts education.

Personally, I think that I've experienced lots of self improvement through martial arts, but I don't think I'd have failed to achieve it in other ways. There's nothing magic about martial arts. There's nothing inherent in its movements. Yes, you can train them, focusing your attention inward in a sort of meditation. But that describes yoga or even golf for that matter.

On the other hand, yoga and golf don't bring us face to face with some of the very basic fears that martial arts can (but won't necessarily). Fear of failure, sure. Fear of performance, perhaps. But fear of conflict? Physically skilled and mentally focused conflict? Nope. Combative disciplines kinda have that market cornered. So if the martial arts have something over, say, yoga in terms of character development, it's because they bring a person into contact with different stimuli than yoga would alone.

Stuart B.

old jong
08-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Good post Apoweyn!

KC Elbows
08-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Yeah, excellent point on the contact thing.

Shaolin-Do
08-28-2003, 02:59 PM
"And chubby girls give the best oral. Skinny chicks are skinny because they don't put things in their mouths."

bahahahahaha
lololol

But very untrue. Ive gotten plenty of good oral from skinny chicks.
Err... how skinny are we talking? (I mean small belly big boobs nice waiste and arse.)
Im not about the hog legs.... :eek:

And to keep it on topic... I feel that martial arts have many different facets and affect different people in as many different ways as there are styles. Some lose weight... Some gain weight... Some gain self esteem, friendship... Some gain a small bit of ego that was needed due to passiveness.... The list goes on.

rubthebuddha
08-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Yes, wing tsun is not known for elitist tendencies, provided you follow the spelling convention. i don't have a clue what you're talking about. :p actually, i do, but i don't suffer from that elitism, nor, thankfully, does anyone at my kwoon. i know there are scads of people of other wing chun lineages that could steal my waffle in the morning, and no matter how many times i said "leggo my eggo," i couldn't do a **** thing about it. same goes for other martial arts as well, except for those lousy six-elbows people. i don't know what the hell they're thinking.

KC Elbows
08-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
same goes for other martial arts as well, except for those lousy six-elbows people. i don't know what the hell they're thinking.

Mostly "What exactly are bacos if not bacon?

neigung
08-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
And chubby girls give the best oral. Skinny chicks are skinny because they don't put things in their mouths.

That's the funniest thing I've read all week.