PDA

View Full Version : wah lum in columbus

melrose
08-28-2003, 09:07 PM
if someone could give me some info on the wah lum schools in coumbus oh i would appreciate it. i just want to no if the sifus are any good and if they teach more than just forms also what kind of prices

yu shan
08-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Melrose

Is there more than one WL school in Columbus?

melrose
08-28-2003, 09:32 PM
theres two listed in the phonebook and Im pretty sure there used to be another one. theres three listed in the wah lum ads in kung fu magazine but maybe one closed. the sifus listed in the ad are jef naayers, craig rex and greg zoganas.

18elders
08-29-2003, 05:05 AM
check your pm

Brad
08-29-2003, 05:44 AM
One of the schools is in a Worlds Gym just down the street from me. Costs were $100/month last time I checked. I'll tell you straight up, I'm not a big fan of the organization/system itself, but sifu Naayers seems pretty nice. Craig and Greg both have good stances and show good strength in their forms. As far as I know they teach sparring too :) I think I might've sent you an email through dragon's list not too long ago... did you get it?

melrose
08-29-2003, 06:00 PM
well what is a good school to learn from around here, i live on the eastside and the closer the better also the cheaper the better but i still want good instruction and am willing to pay for it i dont want to learn only forms i want to learn applications too i want to be able to fight. but dont get me wrong i dont like to fight if it can be avoided but what is the point of learning martial arts if you cant defend yourself against someone.

Brad
08-29-2003, 07:37 PM
My three recomendations: Tony Brown(Hung Gar, Southern Mantis, Yang Taiji), and An Tian Rong(Chang Quan, Baji Quan, Bagua Zhang, Xingyi Quan, Taiji Quan, and some more obscure things he's picked up)is here also, then there's Nathan Menegad(sp?) who teaches Chen Man Cheng Taiji Quan(a branch off of Yang style).

Tony Brown's school defenitely teaches applications along with the forms and has sparring. I think he was a full contact champ too. Heard nothing but good things about him, and the one class I took with him was very good :) Last I remember, I think he had a couple different pricing programs(it was something like $80/month or $100 for a fixed number of lessons... you'd have to call him for details).

An Tian Rong(my teacher) teaches a college club at OSU and is available for private lessons. The OSU club focuses more on modern wushu basics and form work though he'll teach other things here and there if you ask. If you want harder more in depth training learning a full traditional style private lessons would be the way to go. He's been practicing full time since he was a little kid(he's 65 or so now) and is very powerful. Also has impecable credentials(1959 Chinese National Champion, very famous teachers). Two catches though...
1.if you don't put in the hard work and effort(gongfu) he won't give you much instruction. Wushu's his life and he doesn't like it if he thinks you're wasting his time... if you work really hard though, he'll like you and treat you like one of his best friends, lol
2.there's a language problem. He doesn't speak much english(though he's slowly picking up new words... like pizza, lol ;) )

I'd say check all those out... dwid's also got a school here I think, and there's some good Shui Jiao people around here too :)

yu shan
08-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Three recommendations is a good start, and how big can Columbus be for the luv of pete? Mel, if it were me, I`d beg the ole man to take me in, a National Champion, and has famous Grandteacher`s ... forget WL and go with the above suggestions.