PDA

View Full Version : traditional kung fu for the street!

fiercest tiger
04-23-2001, 09:50 AM
hey guys! would any of you that practise traditional kung fu would truely fight using form applications or would you just start boxing etc.

what is the problem with traditional kung fu when on the streets.

is it the mindset?

is it the practicality?

or

just doesnt work?

thanks in advance... :)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

dunbarj01
04-25-2001, 12:20 AM
Hard to say FT,

I think that I wouldn't use the techniques as they are in sets (not by choice, I'm just sloppy). I haven't studied anything other that CMA but I find the forms also involve particular tactics. To answer the question, yes, i'd use tactics from forms and I'd probably have a selection of applications from forms that I could do very well.

Cheers,

Martial Joe
04-25-2001, 02:54 AM
Martial Arts were made for fighting.Back in the days china was always having those battles fighting with kung fu.What is the difference between the street now and the grass then.Well all I know is the enemy was always trying to kill you in war.Of course it works on the "street".Kung Fu was made for fighting.
Look at some stories on one of the best wing chun fighters wong shun long.
It will make you feel like you never had to post this.

Joe Kavey

joedoe
04-25-2001, 08:21 AM
I always try to fight using my technique, but ultimately I would do what I needed to do to survive.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Chen Wuan
05-02-2001, 06:02 AM
the problem is that we will either think to much and not go of instinct, and we don't train to handle any situation, we just go through the motions. ;)

S.Teebas
05-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Chen,

Speak for yourself dude! in our kung-fu class me and my traing partners practice our techinques against each other while trying very realisticly. I want to know that what im learning IS going to work on the street...some of us have backgrounds in other sytles, and know how SOME kung fu schools over look the realistic side of training. Not us... we try and rip each others heads off.:D

Although this isn't for everyone in the class (and it does get funny looks from newbies) it's how some of us train. Im sure some of the people who train in whatvever style your from there are pu$ in the class, and there are also mean mother fu(kers too... sounds like you haven't met any serious kung fu guys yet.....patience Daniel son.....patience....

tnwingtsun
05-04-2001, 09:42 AM
When I first started going to my Bai Mei classes
I was scared because when we spared it
was like being thrown to the tigers.
No pads,no mats no greasy dude yelling"lets get it on!!",our blows landed hard and we head(and leg) hunted.
You learned fast to listen after the first beating.There was control so only a few went to the hospital,most got treated by Sifu.
He wanted fighters and we had all comers back then,ground fighters(nothing new) stand up and flyers(yes,they tryed to fly,I think they thought they were monkeys)
And yes we used not only form applications but what I think you're trying to say FT more importantly is concepts.
Southern Arts are some of the most realistic
form of combat on earth,alot of it hidden
but those of us that work the puzzle can see
its worth in gold.

"You can't make an omlet unless you crack some eggs"
CA

LEGEND
05-06-2001, 06:21 PM
Can't rely just on boxing...are it'll be a TOUGHMAN BRAWL 2! And u probably will break your hand...learn to flow with elbows and knees...if u're more into grappling...work the takedowns hard...agressive...and attack attack the opponent...most likely u're not dealing with someone who knows JACK about MARTIAL ARTs so u should be kill or be killed mentality!

A

MonkeySlap Too
05-06-2001, 08:31 PM
One of my students is tired of San Shou and is planning to do a local Vale Tudo thing.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

In the street I have done very well, but I reccomend that KF fighters fight against everyone so that you understand how to beat them in life or death situations.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.