PDA

View Full Version : Hand/Forearm Injury

Oso
08-29-2003, 05:11 AM
Ok, never had this one before.

I seem to have pulled/strained the muscle(s)/tendon(s) that operate the ring and pinkie fingers of my right hand at practice.

And, just to get it over with:
Yes, I'll just switch to the other hand for a while and give the right one a break.

ok. Now, I know to basically R&R the limb but I was wondering if anyone had any 'secret' cure that they have used.

I almost dropped the coffee pot this morning. Can't hit 'enter' on the keyboard and it really friggin hurts.:(

It was during jujitsu practice and we have been rolling very hard every practice since nationals are in a month. I guess I was gripping or trying to grip as someone pulled away from me and must have just had the last two fingers hanging on. As usual, didn't feel it till later.

Shaolin-Do
08-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Gentle massage, soak it in warm water with epsom salt.
Is it in the middle of the hand? Or does the pain occur lower in the wrist area, and kinda shoot up through the carpels?

Oso
08-29-2003, 10:55 AM
starts at the last joint on each finger, painful at each joint of each finger, outside center of the hand, inner side of wrist on pinkie side.

i'll jow it and soak it over the weekend and see how it goes.

Cheese Dog
08-29-2003, 12:17 PM
I got a similiar injury about 3 months ago during clinch sparring. I had a tight grip on my partner's gi and my grip got pulled off during a throw. The ring finger on the right hand was almost unusable for a couple of weeks and it's still slightly sore.

If there is any inflamation ice is your best friend.

yu shan
08-31-2003, 03:44 PM
I`m a big advocate of ice, due to western massage therapy. Now the Chinese frown on ice therapy. What do you guys think? But I also agree with SD, hot water and epsom salt has worked for me. Ice has always done me the best... but joint damage takes alot of time. Check into some herbs, a good suplimate.

War is hell...I love the pain.

Oso
08-31-2003, 04:30 PM
all seems to be well with the hand.
not sure but I may have just pinched a nerve or something in the wrist. that would have explained the pain running from the tips of the fingers to the elbow.

my girl and I ripped all the carpet out of the house saturday and I think I actually worked it back into shape.

my understanding of the chinese aversion to ice is that it constricts and everything should be moving. so, my personal philosophy has been one of flushing: use heat, massage and range of motion exercises to prevent buildup of blood, lymph and I'll go ahead and say it...chi.;)

yu shan - your pm box is full.

Serpent
08-31-2003, 08:20 PM
Ice is good to reduce swelling for the first 48 hours or so at most. After that, heat will prmote ealing and ice is useless - it only acts like a painkiller then and does nothing to actually heal.

Oso
09-01-2003, 04:23 AM
yu shan

make sure your 'sent items' box is empty as well. If that's not the problem then I don't know.

I'll give you a call later today.

yu shan
09-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Oso,

Bingo my friend! Check your e-mail. BTW, how`s the hand feeling today?

Oso
09-01-2003, 03:54 PM
hand is better. I will be taking it a little easy this week just to let it heal up well. I do think it was at least a partially pinched nerve.

I had to have someone else tell me to check my 'sent items' as well. so, just passing it on...

yu shan
09-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Oso

Training a little easier while injured is smart in my book, anyway you have a big weekend coming up.

Muchas Gracias to Serpent,Cheese Dog,and Shaolin-Do... I`m always impressed with the quality KFM brings out.