PDA

View Full Version : Captian of what?

Black Jack
08-29-2003, 01:11 PM
I mean I know the guy wears a black commando hat in the pictures and dons the bdu's so this must be true but what branch of military or actually police service did Captain John Painter get the Captain title from or is he commander of a Carnival cruise boat or something?

It could not be to tap into the realty self defense market could it?
Naw. No way. I mean the guy says he can move people at a distance with his chi. We have to believe him. If not for the jedi powers and the military gear then for his magnum p.i. cookie duster which rests on his upper lip.

What gives?

MasterKiller
08-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Why, he is an honorary Texas Ranger. Silly boy.

fa_jing
08-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Are you misspelling Captain or Caption??

:p

Black Jack
08-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Yeah. I fixed it. So what if I rode the little yellow bus. It got me laid plenty.

David Jamieson
08-29-2003, 02:34 PM
from his own site

Dr. Painter is a Captain in the American Rangers Law Enforcement Martial Training Institute.

is this the Texas Rangers law enforcement?

cheers

count
08-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Not the Texas Rangers but they do contract with different law enforcement agencies to train officers in hand to hand and weapons. The way I understand it is Capt. Painter is a co-founder of the organization but gains rank through experience and testing. Pretty legit group with some pretty impressive results.

Blackjack, I must ask again, where you get this stuff about Painter moving people from a distance? He has to my knowledge never espoused such ridiculous claims.

norther practitioner
08-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Captain of the oblivious:rolleyes:

Black Jack
08-29-2003, 03:16 PM
It was an Inside Kung Fu article Count. I do not have the link but I remeber when we last were talking about some other poster brought it up as well so I know was not wasted on the day in question. I remeber the article was about standing post mediation and it had numerous babble about long range and immovable force and a few pics on him doing so to boot.

Unless I am way off then I would like to know but I remeber what I saw.

Either way the title is meaningless and it is used to gain cash from the reality self defense marketplace. Same as the bizzare counter-terrorist outfits he wears in some of his pics.

count
08-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Hey, I'm not the self appointed Capt. Painter advocate. But I'll go out on a limb and say that immovable force and moving from a distance are different concepts as are Long range and Long distance. I know Painter, and he is a serious and life long practitioner who doesn't talk about martial fantasy. He's also very accessible and can demonstrate his principles against full force. Why don't you meet him next time he's in town and judge for yourself? I'm sure he would be accommodating.

Brad
08-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a Mooney article. You sure you aren't confusing him with Mooney? Also there's some dude(who I can't recall at the moment) who I used to get Painter confused with all the time for no apparent reason, lol.

GLW
08-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Correction..

The Texas Rangers are a very old division of law enforcement in Texas. They have a long proud heritage (and NO they did NOT like Chuck Norris' TV show....first off, NO modern Texas Ranger EVER wears any cowboy hat of any color other than WHITE...that is a Tradition...there is alot of that...one of my good friends is the controller of the Texas DPS and so deals with the State Troopers AND the Texas Rangers on a daily basis...he is the only one sitting in meetings that ISN'T armed :) )

The Texas Rangers have a set number. When one retires or dies, they look at the officers in the state and INVITE the best to take that ranger's place.

The Texas Rangers are also very careful about who they endorse...typically they do NOT endorse anyone.

If you read Dr. Painter's site, he does NOT say Texas Rangers...it is a different group.

TonyM.
08-30-2003, 10:37 AM
After checking out the various websites all I can say is I'm confused. Don't think I'll be sending anyone near one of those seminars. Kinda sad really.

David Jamieson
08-30-2003, 11:04 AM
I've seen some clips of his bagua and frankly he has good form from where I sit.

I don't understand why the need for the marketing schmaltz. Good content is really all that is required. It is once again that bizarre mix of east and west I guess. :-)

cheers

TonyM.
08-30-2003, 11:29 AM
I'll agree with the quote from his website that he's a master showman.

rogue
08-30-2003, 12:59 PM
BJ, I comission you the rank of Colonel in the Rogue School of Dance. ;)

The Willow Sword
08-31-2003, 06:20 PM
Quoted by Count replying to Black jack

He's also very accessible and can demonstrate his principles against full force. Why don't you meet him next time he's in town and judge for yourself? I'm sure he would be accommodating.

Oh count you know BJ would never do anything like that because Black jack is a little wussy boy. who types alot of Shiite but never delivers. BJ is a REAL martial artist, HE knows whats what right? he knows whats goin on. :rolleyes:

Hey i a not a painter advocate myself, i saw his little clip walking the circle and i thought it looked pretty crappy. but that doesnt mean that he cant rip BJ a new keester hole. Of course BJ might actually NEED two B-holes to really get out all the BS that HE eats.

:p :p :p :p

Black Jack
09-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Hey f@g anytime you want to visit you are more than welcome to swish on down and talk trash up front and personal.

1455 Fairway Drive, Naperville

If you are trying to turn me on with that kind of talk it is not working. Though the sound of your grandmother gulping around my swollen ****** worked wonders. For an old ***** she really can groove.

Why would I waste my time paying for a seminar?

If he wanted to stop by for free and use his long force to push me around than I would be more than up for it. I have no problem being used for a long force demo. I know I saw the freakin article and it was not Mooney nor Moneymaker nor Dillman nor Kim or the SD dog faced grandmaster.

Someone else saw the article around here I am sure. Either way if people want to believe in mystical long force go ahead and believe in such garbage. F@ckin nimrods.

Big Trouble in Little China was real. Those were not actors.

The Willow Sword
09-02-2003, 12:04 PM
I already have issued my challenges here on the forum and met them and had the honor and the courage to see them through.
You talk about trash talk BJ,, you are the king of it here man.

my opinions about painter are of that clip i saw which in my opinion looks pretty shabby, and lving here in texas and hearing all about painter i would think there would be some better footage of him doing his bagua. but i am certainly not taking the approach you are taking with him.

oh and only a complete moron and FOOL would post his address for all to see here on the internet. you really are a fukwit BJ.
have a happy life dood.:rolleyes:

Fred Sanford
09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
I already have issued my challenges here on the forum and met them and had the honor and the courage to see them through.

So, how are those ribs doing? back to normal? Shaolin-do the real street lethal.

The Willow Sword
09-02-2003, 12:20 PM
besides for the last fukin time i quit Sd two years ago and have been alot better off. (is that you Reemul)?:cool:

MasterKiller
09-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Black Jack,

A real CMA challenge should also be accompanied with your social security number and your mother's maiden name.

PHILBERT
09-02-2003, 01:06 PM
Either Black Jack is a rich man, or his school is a rich school, to have a country club located behind it.

Black Jack
09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
I have nothing to hide you whiny pu$$y f@rt. You are the biggest b!tch on this forum. I don't need to hide behind a user name. You f@cking baby.

You know where I am. I will be more than happy to meet up anytime you are in the neighborhood cowpoke.

Philbert- Actually there is a large country club/colf course behind where I currently live. Its basically my backyard.

Cheers

CD Lee
11-09-2003, 08:11 PM
OK, ok, I can't take it. :D

BlackJack - I am a student at the Gompa. I study Xingyi, but have worked with Dr. Painter there. He has perfomed many apps on me, knocked my butt to the floor, thrown me, struck me, etc. This is in self defence classes (PKC), Seminars, and regular classes. Whether he believes in empty force, I cannot say (I doubt it). I CAN say, I have have not heard one single word about empty force at the shcool. We regularly make jokes about it in class, especially if someone missed a class, we say we learned dim mak or levitation, or Chi blasts from a distance while they were out. Then we all laugh. You know why? Its funny.

Yes the marketing is flashy, no the teaching is not. The school and Dr. Painter heavily downplay the idea of mysterious powers, and focus on physics, angles, rooting, crap that works if you can do it. No magic, just hard work.

I am in an odd position of seeing all this internet crap and bashing that goes on and then see him every week. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

Backjack - Do you really, really want the answer to your question? Go to his website, his Bagua Yahoo Group, or call him, and get your friggin' answer. Honestly, how in the world can you stand wasting all your time posting, when you can find out in a simple communication to the man?

cerebus
11-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Ha Ha! Hey Blackjack, are ya' sure ya' don't mind if Painter pushes his "long force" into you? LOL :D ! Make sure he lubes up! I've never seen Painter's martial arts so I can't comment, but why the HELL does he like dressing up in goofy pseudo-military costumes for photos in his magazine articles? I mean, yeah, I can see using boots & fatigues as a training uniform if ya want, but why the beret & CHiPs sunglasses? It makes him look kinda foolish. Anyway, even without any MA ability, the dude looks like he'd be tough to scrap with. I mean, his arms are built like thighs and his chest is the male equivalent of Dolly Parton! Does he do roids (Uh, I mean, Chinese Herbs, yeah that's it :D )? T.

Brad
11-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Make sure he lubes up! I've never seen Painter's martial arts so I can't comment, but why the HELL does he like dressing up in goofy pseudo-military costumes for photos in his magazine articles?
Why do people wear long out of fashion chinese robes in articles?

Tak
11-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
I don't understand why the need for the marketing schmaltz. Good content is really all that is required. Aggressive marketing is necessary for survival as a commercial entity in the US, where flash long ago dominated substance in the mind of the prospective consumer.

Meat Shake
11-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Consumers are generally a very ignorant and biased crowd. Cater to the consumer and you will succeed, cater to your own wishes and chances are you wont. The marketing ****es me off too, but there is a reason for it... most the time. Just sucks that "shaolin" has turned into such a money making icon with not much real meaning anymore...

Meat Shake
11-10-2003, 01:18 PM
"Why do people wear long out of fashion chinese robes in articles?"

So they too, can feel this cool -> :cool:
You will one day understand. I have my blackbelt in :cool:.

:eek:

Tak
11-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Speaking of cheesy marketing shots, how about that one of Cung Le on page 2 of the MAM catalog?

David Jamieson
11-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Consumers are generally a very ignorant and biased crowd.

I think that is a dangerous assumption. IN this ever shrinking world we live in, people are more often informed about their choice before they get to the point of actually making it.

Personally, I think it is a failure of those in the marketing paradigm to recognize that the consumer is not some halfwit who will believe what you tell them because you wear a nice suit, a gold ring and comb your hair.

In the realm of martial artists, there are a great deal who are able to see beyond the idiosyncracies of a practitioner and will recognize the actual skills for what they are.

Gone are the days of doe eyed smily faced daniel sans looking to sit at the foot of mr.miyagi to learn about how to get through pre-pubesence and become adults ( a ridiculous visual, but it really rang true for years).

Nowadays people want real solutions and in the west they will not stand for being duped. Those who are dupable will always be that, but I do not think that the majority of people are shleps as you describe. Sure there is a percentage of people who have no questions to ask in regards to why someone is dressed up like a military member but in actually is not or why someone in the Bronx is wearing 17th century court robes from a country half a world away when they are clearly not asian decent.

It is my belief that all this stuff needs to be paired down and out a bit.

Authentic is not a look, it is a feel.

cheers

Ray Pina
11-11-2003, 10:04 AM
"Authentic is not a look, it is a feel."

Very well said! At the same time, I know it when I see it, too.

cerebus
11-12-2003, 01:23 AM
"Let me think."
SMACK!
"Don't think! Feeel. It is like a finger pointing the way to the moon."
SMACK!
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of that heavenly glooory."
:D

Tak
11-12-2003, 10:35 AM
I think that is a dangerous assumption. IN this ever shrinking world we live in, people are more often informed about their choice before they get to the point of actually making it. Well, in my case it's an observation more than an assumption. Some people make informed decisions, but the vast majority seem to buy everything on impulse, from food to shoes to cars. Or they're "informed" by tv marketing campaigns.

Personally, I think it is a failure of those in the marketing paradigm to recognize that the consumer is not some halfwit who will believe what you tell them because you wear a nice suit, a gold ring and comb your hair. Actually, this is a great description of most of the consumers I see. If the current state of marketing was that far off, companies that rely on these kinds of marketing campaigns would change their ways - but they're not doing so.

In the realm of martial artists, there are a great deal who are able to see beyond the idiosyncracies of a practitioner and will recognize the actual skills for what they are.

Gone are the days of doe eyed smily faced daniel sans looking to sit at the foot of mr.miyagi to learn about how to get through pre-pubesence and become adults ( a ridiculous visual, but it really rang true for years). I think martial artists tend to be more wary of marketing than your average joe, possibly perhaps a punch to the solar plexus can be very effective at dispelling shiny marketing ideas from the cranium.

On the other hand, there still seem to be plenty of people willing to be told that waxing cars is the foundation of all martial arts training.

Nowadays people want real solutions and in the west they will not stand for being duped. Those who are dupable will always be that, but I do not think that the majority of people are shleps as you describe. Sure there is a percentage of people who have no questions to ask in regards to why someone is dressed up like a military member but in actually is not or why someone in the Bronx is wearing 17th century court robes from a country half a world away when they are clearly not asian decent. Well, I disagree, but there isn't a lot of leeway for discussion without falling into "are too, are not."

Of course, I would like nothing better than to be wrong in this instance - it would be great if people in general started seeing through marketing propaganda to the (lack of) product underneath and making decisions based on something besides that commercial with the latest pop song playing in the background.