PDA

View Full Version : Southern Tension Sets! All styles......

cha kuen
08-31-2003, 10:44 AM
I find tension sets to be very interesting. My sifu told me that back in the days, people who practiced chi kung - some were going crazy. So the southern shaolin developed some tension sets that have the same benefits of chi kung, but will not make you go crazy.

Anyways, my topic for discussion is about TENSION SETS! Who here has learned a tension set, from what style, and how have YOU personally benefited from them?

I recently learned "Sam Chien" (three wars) tension set from the Ng Jo Kuen style. My friend also learned this set and he said his power and strength have increased. His palms are stronger than ever before, stronger than his iron palm training days. He also does some boxing on a heavy bag and he doesnt need to wear gloves anymore.

I have just learned the set so I haven't had any big changes yet.

I'd like to hear what you guys have learned and how it has changed YOU.

Thanks. Looks like southern tension sets are good to learn for anyone in any style..

Gold Horse Dragon
08-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Southern Black Tiger (Nam Hak Fu Pai) has two tension sets:
1. Gung Lik Kuen (Power Generating Fist)..not an exact translation.
2. Gum Gong Teet Kuen (Gold & Steel Fist)
Both use muscular tension alternating with release of the tension which results in a greater flow of chi and blood to the area(s) this increasing the strength of the tissues.

Gung lik Kuen builds the stances (horse, bow) and strengthens the arms, back, chest and abdomen. It takes about 8 to 10 minutes to perform.

Gum Gong Teet Kuen is both a hard Hay Gong (Chi Kung) and soft Chi Kung set...it greatly increases ones external and internal strength. It is the most advanced devlopmental set in the system and it expands on gung lik kuen to take you to a much higher level. It takes about 35 to 40 minutes to complete.

GHD

johngreenhow
08-31-2003, 04:59 PM
Lau Gar's second form is often practiced under tension. Very simple form but great for clearing the mind, I found.

joedoe
08-31-2003, 05:15 PM
I know the Ngo Cho Sam Chien as well, but as it was one of the first things I did in my training, I cannot give any comparisons. I do know that if I don't practice it regularly then I feel a little out of rhythm. I almost always practice it a few times as part of my personal pre-class warm up. I also practice it if for whatever reason I have not been able to train for a while as it gets me back up to speed very quickly.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it :)

cha kuen
09-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Sam Chien,

About the three steps forward and three steps backward.
After I go forward, how do I go backward three steps? Do I move the left foot first, then the right?

WHen I am in the stance, both feet are pointing forward, with the right foot a little infront of the left.

also, do u know any books on ng jo kuen besides the one by alexander co?

Subzero
09-02-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by johngreenhow
Lau Gar's second form is often practiced under tension. Very simple form but great for clearing the mind, I found.

Just what i was about to say.
WHere do u practice lau gar?In the U.K.?
I think u may already be a member but there are a few lau gar guys on www.martialartsplanet.com

joedoe
09-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by cha kuen
Sam Chien,

About the three steps forward and three steps backward.
After I go forward, how do I go backward three steps? Do I move the left foot first, then the right?

WHen I am in the stance, both feet are pointing forward, with the right foot a little infront of the left.

also, do u know any books on ng jo kuen besides the one by alexander co?

When stepping forward, the front foot moves first. When stepping backwards, the back foot moves first.

I have not seen any other books on Ngor Chor besides Alexander Co's. I have heard rumour that one of the senior disciples in my lineage is planning to publish one soon though. If I hear anything more about it I will let you know ;)

Raatra
09-03-2003, 06:47 PM
We have a form that is only referred to as Iron Tiger, which im sure is just some American rip-off of another more traditional form, but it is performed with alternating tension and relaxation, tension being the more dominant aspect. I find forms like these to be great for increasing strength and the density of your limbs.

David Jamieson
09-03-2003, 07:15 PM
I find forms like these to be great for increasing strength and the density of your limbs.

shh, don't tell the nhb guys.

Judge Pen
09-04-2003, 11:54 AM
For what its worth, we have several tension based forms or excercises. We learn an Iron Man form in brown sash which is all tension. We incorporate several tension postures of the I Chin Ching into our conditioning. I am also working on Hua To's Five animal play which has several tension excercises in it as well. When I was working I Chin and iron hand I felt like I could puch through a brick wall. :)