PDA

View Full Version : vid clip section of session 4 for Grim

bokfu
08-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Grim, my friend...
what happened to your e-mail? Account closed? As per your questions in your last e-mails, I am going to insert a link to a vid clip. It will show you the last half of session four as I demo it at practice speed. It is definitely not session six as you suspect... these movments are only in session four, so I am not sure why you were told that it is session six. Session six is very different and certainly does not have these particular movements, much less in this order. So, you are being mislead somehow.
By the way, this clip is shown with some important details dropped out. My sifu, John Chang, has corrected me on this a couple of months ago luckily. If you have any technical questions on this form, I can send you his e-mail address if you would like to ask him. I am sure that he would enjoy discussing 8 step with interested people. In the mean time, I hope you have a fast connection because this zipped file is 5+ megs which is 30 seconds worth. I won't be leaving this link up for long, so take advantage asap. Also, please send me a different e-mail address if you can. Thanks; bokfu
session 4 section (http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/kkking@pacbell.net/lst?.dir=/My+Documents/vidclips&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/)

grim
08-31-2003, 04:12 PM
Bokfu:

thanks for the clip. I just viewed it and it is very similar to what I was told is section six, although there are a lot of differences in that portion of the form. I was only shown one rear sweep after the jumping front kick as well as a difference in the actual types of kicks. The one kick that is just before the end that goes vertical: what is that called? This is a big difference in the form from what I am familiar. Even so, this whole section is very much what I know. I am confused now to why I am told it is section six. Do you have a clip of six that I could see?

BTW, I had problems with the virus in my e-mail. I am using this address now: grimmm@hotmail.com

Thanks again for the clip. I am going to find out more about what I am learning here. I will contact you.

Grim

bokfu
09-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi, Grim
Thanks for the update on your e-mail. By the way, who is teaching you 8 step green mantis, anyway? I am not familiar with any instructors in your area. As far as the form, there will always be some subtle differences according to just personal style and where your teacher got his information from. The more branches in the lineage, sometimes the more the information is changed, unfortunately. In any case, at least you know that this is actually session 4. The strange slipping-type walk in this form only occurs in session 4, so it was sort of easy for me to identify. As for the kicks, my kicks look a little different than other 8 step guys because they bleed over from my original system of Bok Fu (White Tiger). The vertical kick is special, though and is called a bow/arrow kick. It is for take down purposes mainly...of course if you could kick directly under the attacker's chin, you could certainly take his head off! I can't do that kick too well now... I feel that being in my 40's sort of holds me back physically sometimes! Anyway, good luck with your learning 8 step. I will drop you a note later. I am now going to close that link since you have seen it.
Bokfu