PDA

View Full Version : Movies you can't wait to see . . .

Judge Pen
09-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Well? What are some new movies coming out that you can't wait to see?

SanSoo Student
09-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Desperado 2 (Once upon a time in Mexico)
Man Selma Hayek still looks hot....

Spider-man 2 and Blade 3 should be fairly descent.

Starchaser107
09-01-2003, 01:13 PM
return of the king and matrix revolutions.

can somebody please tell me why in Gods name is there a Jeepers Creepers2. the first one was aweful.

chen zhen
09-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Dunno, dont fukkin care. (topic)
not to be rude, just my mood nowadays.

Kristoffer
09-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Matrix3, LOTR3, Blade 3, Spiderman 2, Hellboy (!)

Laughing Cow
09-01-2003, 02:30 PM
A movie with a new story-line, great plot, new actors, great action, NO CG only good old SFX and makeup artistry.

Naah, of these rehashed over-done sequels and roles custom written to certain actors.

Maybe something as "NEW" as the original "Death Wish" or "Dirty Harry" movie would be like.

Also a good rendition of some of the classic SF Books, like Day of the Triffids that STICK to the book would be like.

Seeya.

Stranger
09-01-2003, 03:33 PM
The next X-Men (although I really can't wait until they start doin Wolverine solo movies), Return of the King, Matrix Revolutions, Star Wars III, and the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon sequel.

Judge Pen
09-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by chen zhen
Dunno, dont fukkin care. (topic)
not to be rude, just my mood nowadays.

It's allright. Has Natasha Yi ever starred in a movie? Bet you'd like to see that. Anyway, here's hoping you cheer up CZ. :)

Starchaser107
09-01-2003, 07:46 PM
heres to chen zhen.
cheers. be well.

Chang Style Novice
09-01-2003, 08:43 PM
American Splendor

Cremaster Cycle

Intolerable Cruelty

Judge Pen
09-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Intolerable Cruelty

Yeah, I figured that would be on your list. Jack has a new movie coming out too.

Daredevil
09-02-2003, 07:11 AM
The two Alexander the Great movies.
Hannibal.
Master & Commander.
The Last Samurai.
Underworld.
LOTR3.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon prequel/sequel/whatever.

Those are the top of the list at this moment.

Judge Pen
09-02-2003, 07:33 AM
Is there anything definite on the CTHD prequel?

My list is long:

ROTK
Matrix Revolutions
Something's Got to Give (Cool as Jack :cool: )
Last Samurai
Intolerable Cruelty
Underworld
The Alamo

Just a start. . .

Chang Style Novice
09-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Who's Jack?

Starchaser107
09-02-2003, 09:55 AM
there's a prequel....

Judge Pen
09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Who's Jack?

:o Jack Nicholson. :cool:

Chang Style Novice
09-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Oh, him. Well, he'll probably keep making movies forever, but I haven't seen him in a really good one for a long time, and that thing he did with Adam Sandler makes me want to pretend he died before it was ever filmed.

About Schmidt was supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't seen it yet.

@PLUGO
09-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Oh, him. Well, he'll probably keep making movies forever, but I haven't seen him in a really good one for a long time, and that thing he did with Adam Sandler makes me want to pretend he died before it was ever filmed.

About Schmidt was supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't seen it yet.

HAven't seen Anger Management too bad it sounds like it bombed... Thought About Schmidt was thoroughly LAME....

Now Amercian SPLENDOR... that was cool!!!

:cool:

MasterKiller
09-02-2003, 01:27 PM
About Schmidt was about shlt.

It should have been about 30 minutes long.

chen zhen
09-02-2003, 01:57 PM
It's allright. Has Natasha Yi ever starred in a movie? Bet you'd like to see that. Anyway, here's hoping you cheer up CZ.

hehe, thanks!:) Didnt think people around here wanted to listen to someones stupidness;)

btw, simple stuff like NY starring in a movie is not enough. Im not a simple fellow.:)

-cz

Judge Pen
09-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
About Schmidt was about shlt.

It should have been about 30 minutes long.

Yeah, it wasn't great, but I'm holding out hope for his new one. As Good As it Gets was pretty good. Highly quotable.

Kristoffer
09-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Well if were talin 'what if' movies or stuff we know is commin out.. jeh well in that case I want a SHENMUE MOVIE! With Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan and Jet Li (nevermind what roles they play). Then I'd like to see a X-Men VS The Hulk movie. That would be cool. Or a Spiderman movie starring Venom.

Ong Bak should be really good though, and the Last samurai seems worthy to watch

Chang Style Novice
09-03-2003, 08:44 AM
I want Adam Sandler to vanish without a trace (although I've heard that "Punch Drunk Love" may convince me otherwise - only I didn't like "Magnolia" or "Hard Eight" either) and Keanu Reeves to return to confining himself to roles that don't require anything of him but looking astonished (cf: Bill and Ted.)

norther practitioner
09-03-2003, 09:17 AM
I enjoyed Anger Management... I also thought that Punch Drunk Love was good too.

Kristoffer
09-03-2003, 10:11 AM
know who I want to vanish?

.............The guy who convince Jet Li to star in stupid films with rap artists :rolleyes:

firepalm
09-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Alien Vs. Predator, Underworld, Matrix Revolutions & Princess Blade

@PLUGO
09-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Punch drunk Love was not bad...

Not nearly as er, ... thick as Magnolia... and I found that it ended rather abruptly...

Now that it's out on VID/DVD, I'd say it's worth renting...

Underworld looks fun...

& i've heard good things about Princess BLADE...

Alien Vs. Predator...

in 10 years maybe?

Kristoffer
09-05-2003, 04:59 AM
How about Jason VS Freddy? Anyone lookin forward to this?

Judge Pen
09-05-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by firepalm
Alien Vs. Predator, Underworld, Matrix Revolutions & Princess Blade

"Princess Blade?" is this the name of the third Blade film?

I saw F v J. Actually I was conived into seeing it. Ok for that type of film. Better than the last 20 Freddy or Jason sequels.

Starchaser107
09-05-2003, 07:13 AM
Its out , but I'm contemplating wether or not to see it. looks kind of sucky.
things went downhill after elm street 2.
based on the previews alone , its not very appealing. haven't heard rave reviews ..or any reviews for that matter. doesn't look good.

liangZhiCheng
09-05-2003, 08:50 AM
I saw it. The plot is quite lame, with stereotypical characters. The end fight between Jason and Freddy is amusing, but nothing to go ga-ga over. If you want to see it, I suggest waiting until it comes out on video/dvd

Starchaser107
09-05-2003, 09:29 AM
well, there ya go

Chang Style Novice
09-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Well, I finally rented "The Transporter" (I guess it's about a year old) and I liked it quite a bit, considering it's just an excuse to string together a bunch of fight scenes, car chases and explosions. At least they did the fight scenes, car chases, and explosions well.

Kristoffer
09-06-2003, 04:21 AM
I have a friend who said that the transporter guy is so awsome he's greater than bruce lee!!

:rolleyes:
After that I decided not to see it :D

Chang Style Novice
09-06-2003, 07:33 AM
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12589,1036553,00.html

Article about Intolerable Cruelty's premiere at the Venice Film Fest. In the middle of the article, it's mentioned in passing that Takeshi Kitano has remade Zatoichi. That could be fun, too.

Vash
09-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Transporter didn't suck.

Too terribly bad.

CSN is right. But, I got MY copy for free. Cuz I'm special.

Kristoffer
09-06-2003, 09:29 AM
But, I got MY copy for free. Cuz I'm special.

what? you won the special olympics last year? Well guess what...

you're still a retard :D

chen zhen
09-11-2003, 05:52 AM
I cant wait to see this (http://images.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/09-05-03-indiana/spacemountain_jones.jpg)

and ****, when is this coming up? (http://www.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/movies/cosmo_mrt.jpg)

Kristoffer
09-14-2003, 03:22 PM
cozy

Former castleva
09-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Jurassic Park 4.

Laughing Cow
09-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Jurassic park 4 has been released under the name of Jurassic park 3.

Now where is 3 you want to know??

It was called "American Godzilla".
:D :p :D

Former castleva
09-21-2003, 04:19 PM
;)

I think that 4 comes out at 2005 (2004 if we´re lucky).

Starchaser107
09-21-2003, 05:59 PM
lucky you say.:eek:

Chang Style Novice
09-21-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm with Starchaser on this one. I'd rather watch a dog lick its butt-hole for two hours than another Jurassic Park movie. And I LIKE giant monsters!

Serpent
09-21-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm with Starchaser on this one. I'd rather watch a dog lick its butt-hole for two hours than another Jurassic Park movie. And I LIKE giant monsters!

Yeah, but you also like to watch dogs lick their butt-holes.

Chang Style Novice
09-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Well, I used to, but it's losing its charm.

speaking of giant monsters, though - check out the Criterion Special Edition DVD of The Blob!

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=91v

Former castleva
09-24-2003, 09:26 AM
It´s not about "giant monsters".I can see how one could get fed up with it.But hey,fans of that stuff (like me) watch it because it feeds your imagination,it´s the closest that you can get to without making time travel a reality (or going to a natural history museum,highly recommended).
It offers a nice breakdown of the current train of paleo´ thought,and of course special effects to lay sugar on it.
You agree?

Chang Style Novice
09-24-2003, 10:05 AM
It's not about giant monsters? Really? Would you go to see it if it was a movie about jurassic era plants?

MasterKiller
09-24-2003, 10:23 AM
You agree? No, because it's been my contention that movies portray these creatures in the wrong light. I highly doubt a dinosaur would continually stalk the same three people across an entire island just for a snack. I mean, how many calories can he possible get out of 3 people. Not enough to replace the calories he spent tracking them, that's for sure.

I always hate "animal" movies because of this. I mean, a wolverine wouldn't stalk a gerbil for 2 weeks. So why would a dinosaur expend so much energy and time for what amounts to a mouthful of meat.

Not only that, but after it does eat a few people, why do they continually pursue the rest of the group relentlessly? What animal keeps hunting after it has satisfied it's appetitie? Animals don't perpetually chase food until they drop dead. At some point, the dinosaurs would have enough to eat and then go rest for a few days. Are these animals always hungry? A lion with a full belly isn't so much of a threat, so why should a dinosaur be any different?

Scientifically unsound, unless, of course, that is why dinosaurs went extinct in the first place.

Chang Style Novice
09-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Excellent point MK - the dinosaurs don't act like any creature that ever walked the earth, they act like plot devices.

Former castleva
09-24-2003, 11:31 AM
"It's not about giant monsters? Really? Would you go to see it if it was a movie about jurassic era plants?"

Probably.

"Scientifically unsound, unless, of course, that is why dinosaurs went extinct in the first place."

You have to understand that they are meant to be entertaining,those movies.
There are reasons why those movies could be considered part unsound in scientific sense (while they simultaneously circulate around the latest of understanding) but the reasons you mention,are not generally called out as those.

"Excellent point MK - the dinosaurs don't act like any creature that ever walked the earth, they act like plot devices."

They probably are "plot devices",considering the theme of those movies.However,seemingly they are a completely unique group of animals.

Chang Style Novice
09-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Anybody seen "Lost in Translation" yet? It looks pretty good from here.

MasterKiller
09-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Waiting for it to come out. I have mixed feelings about Sophia Coppola....The Virgin Suicides was too heavy-handed for my tastes, but competent.

Chang Style Novice
09-29-2003, 01:32 PM
I haven't seen her other directorial efforts. She was terrible as an actress in "Godfather III" but since that movie doesn't exist, I don't count it against her.

Kristoffer
09-29-2003, 01:42 PM
bla bla bla.. just gimme my matrix 3 already :mad:

Chang Style Novice
09-29-2003, 01:47 PM
What are you, a glutton for punishment?

Starchaser107
09-29-2003, 01:58 PM
the revolutions trailer i saw looks sucky ..
im disappointed, however i'm gonna watch it just for the sake of seeing how it gets resolved

Judge Pen
09-29-2003, 02:04 PM
I thought the Matrix 3 trailer looked pretty good, but I liked the 2nd one too. We'll see how they all come together.

Anyone seen the ROTK trailer?

Starchaser107
09-29-2003, 02:40 PM
yeah, although i wouldn't call what i saw a trailer in the strictest sense.
it was more a preview of rotk for playstation 2 and they had clips of the movie plugging it.
i'm sure that wont be disappointing
and for the record i thought reloaded was good.
although the first one was more groundbreaking and could have worked all by itself.

Kristoffer
09-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Havn't seen any trailers for either of em n I'll try resist to. I'm tired of big trailers that show all good stuff n ruins the surprise. I'll probebly end up watchin em anyway.... :rolleyes:
In my eyes LOTR final one can't fail. Since they already follow the book and have shown that they done it right with the first and second one. Matrix will be more of a surprise and I feel it can go either way. It will either be the most mind boggling thing you'll ever see or something really dissapointing. That's why I look forward to this one more than LOTR..

MasterKiller
09-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Anyone seen the ROTK trailer? Bah.....g@y hobbits prancing around, looking longingly into one another's eyes. Don't you guys get enough h o m o-erotic stimulation from Mel Gibson movies?

ZIM
09-30-2003, 07:15 AM
fun fun fun (http://www.fanimatrix.net/download.html)

Go, Aussies! Its a short fan film...

To play the DivX verisons you will need the latest Divx 5.1 bundle and at least an 800Mhz processor. Any earlier versions of divx might cause the player to lock up.

Starchaser107
09-30-2003, 07:16 AM
mk

Oh go smoke some hobbit weed and chill out!:D

MasterKiller
09-30-2003, 07:57 AM
Tolkien fans, who are they?
Pasty white boys with hearts a-flame
for hairy-footed midgets with bright wide eyes
inviting other hairy-fotted midgits to sit by their side.

And why do these midgits run from an eye
that from all appearances looks like a vagina?
Is it because they fear the power of the ring?
Or is it because they have a secret to keep?

They hope against hope and try as they might
to keep the "ring" out of the vagina's sight.
They are afraid to be married, for that's what a ring symbolizes
to all the women running around offering vaginas

But gay little hobbits want none of that mess
they'd rather run dirty fingers across bare, broad chests
and rub hairy feet by the light of a fire
and speak in veiled hints of their latent desires.

And does it really come as a great surprise
when Frodo puts on the ring and vanishes from sight?
Like a freshly-wed man who can no longer play
with his bachelor friends on their bachelor days.

And what of the others who aid in his quest?
do they run from the vagina with the same zest?
It's true that the others are running away
but more out of sport, not because they are gay.

Legolas and Aragorn like the hunt and the chase
they run from the vagina as part of the game
They like vaginas so much they won't settle for one,
but for gay little hobbits, vaginas are no fun.

They want to destroy the ring and all for which it stands
so that a vagina may not touch any hobbit hands
or vice versa, for that matter, and that's really the point
what need is a vagina when Hobbit men are so cute?

Starchaser107
09-30-2003, 08:28 AM
:p

and I thought Jamaicans were h0mo-phobic!:D

Chang Style Novice
09-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Fwiw, I hear that "Lost In Translation" opens with a magnificent shot of the magnificent tuchis of the magnificent Scarlett Johanssen. If anyone was wondering what to get me for my birthday, she's it!

MasterKiller
09-30-2003, 09:53 AM
It's not just a shot, it's a long, drawn out scene where you follow her naked butt through the room of her hotel as she walks from here to there....from what I understand.

Chang Style Novice
09-30-2003, 10:17 AM
If that's what it takes to get some of these dweebs to a grown up movie, I'm willing to make the sacrifice of watching her booty move.

Starchaser107
09-30-2003, 10:46 AM
yeah, she's cute , i guess.

Chang Style Novice
09-30-2003, 12:02 PM
I think we may need to check Starchaser's pulse...

MasterKiller
09-30-2003, 12:52 PM
I don't find her that pretty, either. She's not ugly, but not really what I would call striking.

I'm more into girls like Sarah Silverman.

Starchaser107
09-30-2003, 02:28 PM
no, that girl sarah looks a bit d0rky no offense, she's still cute,
scarlett is very pretty I should have said. for some reason i'm just not going ga-ga though. but if u are i can totally understand changstyle :)

Chang Style Novice
09-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Well, more important than her looks (there's a lot of good looking ladies in this world) she's been in some really excellent movies: Ghost World and The Man Who Wasn't There.

Which isn't to dismiss the sophisticated, refined pleasures of looking at her butt.

Starchaser107
09-30-2003, 03:11 PM
yeah, I'd shag her too.

Kristoffer
10-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Ghost World was a bad bad movie

Chang Style Novice
10-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Yeah, but you're looking forward to The Matrix - your opinion doesn't count.

Kristoffer
10-01-2003, 03:24 PM
oh, sorry if I offended your little femenist lesbian feelings. My bad

Chang Style Novice
10-01-2003, 08:26 PM
I'm not offended in the least that you'd rather watch Keanu Reeves fly and make no sense at all than watch two hot teenage chicks hang out together, play cruel pranks, and try to make tough decisions about their lives. Perplexed, sure, but not offended.

Kristoffer
10-02-2003, 06:19 AM
I tremble of the thought of anyone decribing the two girls in Ghost World as 'hot'. :eek:
Different strokes for different folks

MasterKiller
10-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Ghost World was a great movie.

You should just be glad that the director refused to cast Jennifer Love Hewitt in the role of Enid.

Kristoffer
10-02-2003, 08:24 AM
I'll agree on that one.

Chang Style Novice
10-02-2003, 09:39 AM
I tremble at the thought of the two girls in "Ghost World."

I'd never heard that rumor about Hewitt. Glah! That would've been a terrible decision. Like making a Love and Rockets movie with Gwenyth Paltrow and Winona Ryder or something.

Kristoffer
10-02-2003, 04:34 PM
:D

Starchaser107
10-02-2003, 04:57 PM
all this thread needs now is beer. and it would be perfect.

Judge Pen
10-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Bah.....g@y hobbits prancing around, looking longingly into one another's eyes. Don't you guys get enough h o m o-erotic stimulation from Mel Gibson movies?

I prefer Top Gun. :p

Seriously, I'm not a Tolkien fan. I've tried to read his books, but can't finish them (its a freaking musical; they always break out into a song). I think the movies are amazing.

Virgin Suicides was a bit heavy handed, but the director is a Copola. I'll try 'Lost in Translation." See what it's like.

The Matrix trailer made me feel more secure about the film. I'm really looking forward to it, too.

Kristoffer
10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Atleast someones backing me up on this. Thanks Judge :D

Judge Pen
10-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Kill Bill Volume I.

I'll see it Sunday afternoon. Anyone seen it yet? What did ya think?

I heard that Volume I has the pulp Japanese flavor to it, but Volume II is supposed to have more of a Chinese pulp bent to it. Sounds interesting.

MasterKiller
10-10-2003, 09:46 AM
how the hell is Bak Mei still alive in Kill Bill? He trains the Bride, but shouldn't he be dead....by a hundred years of so. At least Gordon Lui is playing him (he's also playing the "Black Mask" gang leader).

Judge Pen
10-10-2003, 11:17 AM
how the hell is Bak Mei still alive in Kill Bill? He trains the Bride, but shouldn't he be dead....by a hundred years of so. At least Gordon Lui is playing him (he's also playing the "Black Mask" gang leader).

Hmm. . . The possibilities?

1. Bak Mei has kick azz qigong allowing him to age really well;
2. The bride has kick azz qi gong allowing her to age really well;
3. That is not Bak Mei, but Bak Mei's descendant; or
4. Bak mei's clone.

It's Tarintino. It's not supposed to make sense, it's supposed to be cool. :cool:

MasterKiller
10-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Bak Mei is the traitor monk who helped the Ching government burn the Southern Temple.

He killed Gee Sim, Fong Sai Yuk, and Hung Hei Gwun (who killed some of Bak Mei's students). Hung Man Ting, who was Hung Hei Gwun's son, eventually killed Bak Mei using Tiger/Crane style.

Tak
10-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Also a good rendition of some of the classic SF Books, like Day of the Triffids that STICK to the book would be like.

Have you seen Dune (the 2000 version), or Children of Dune (which is actually a cinemization of both Dune: Messiah and Children of Dune)? If not, I highly recommend them. If so, I highly recommend them.

The Bene Gesserit have killer qi. :D

Judge Pen
10-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Bak Mei is the traitor monk who helped the Ching government burn the Southern Temple.

He killed Gee Sim, Fong Sai Yuk, and Hung Hei Gwun (who killed some of Bak Mei's students). Hung Man Ting, who was Hung Hei Gwun's son, eventually killed Bak Mei using Tiger/Crane style.

I knew he was the traitor monk, but I didn't know how he was killed. I'm thinking it's the clone of the bride has kick azz qigong. :cool:

Chang Style Novice
10-10-2003, 01:53 PM
"how the hell is Bak Mei still alive in Kill Bill? He trains the Bride, but shouldn't he be dead....by a hundred years of so."

That's easy - it's a goofball fantasy movie. He leaps in the air and lands on the edge of a sword being thrust at him, too. You gonna subject that to historical and scientific scrutiny?

Judge Pen
10-10-2003, 02:36 PM
"how the hell is Bak Mei still alive in Kill Bill? He trains the Bride, but shouldn't he be dead....by a hundred years of so."

That's easy - it's a goofball fantasy movie. He leaps in the air and lands on the edge of a sword being thrust at him, too. You gonna subject that to historical and scientific scrutiny?

Yes. That's what we on internet forums do. Subject any thing to any standard we want whether or not its fair, realistic, or logical. :p

Kristoffer
10-11-2003, 02:20 PM
lol

PHILBERT
10-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Matrix Revolutions

Spider-Man 2

Star Wars EP3

Blade 3

Hellboy

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 01:02 PM
After watching the trailer in front of Revolutions, add 'Troy' to the list.

Kristoffer
11-09-2003, 12:51 PM
ye that looked pretty good.

SevenStar
11-09-2003, 05:24 PM
kill bill vol 2
star wars ep 3
troy
ROTK
spider man 2

MasterKiller
11-10-2003, 07:46 AM
I can certainly live without ever seeing ROTK. I sat thru The Two Towers on Saturday. Not only was it boring, but the special effects were hoaky. The Ents were absolutely ridiculous, and the blue screen effects in their scenes were horrible.

I'll never get that 3 hours of my life back, and I certianly don't plan on wasting anymore time with those crap movies.

Kristoffer
11-10-2003, 08:19 AM
I like it, just endless war scenes. Who gives a **** about some hobbits?

Starchaser107
11-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Oh maaan I can't wait to see these movies:

E.T. - extra terrestrial
Rocky 3
Mad Max 2 : the road warrior
Star Trek 3 : the wrath of khan

oh and Blade Runner

---------------------------------------------------

flashback to 82

Kristoffer
11-10-2003, 11:16 AM
retro is good
bladerunner is one o the greatest movies there is. I even liked the old game

Starchaser107
11-10-2003, 11:31 AM
fast forward to next year 04

this movie looks good

http://www.thedayaftertomorrowmovie.com/index.html?agency=thevault&type=eastmantle&source=yahoo&size=300x250

Kristoffer
11-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Looks good

Judge Pen
11-10-2003, 03:16 PM
I can certainly live without ever seeing ROTK. I sat thru The Two Towers on Saturday. Not only was it boring, but the special effects were hoaky. The Ents were absolutely ridiculous, and the blue screen effects in their scenes were horrible.

I'll never get that 3 hours of my life back, and I certianly don't plan on wasting anymore time with those crap movies.

Granted the Ents were both ****y and not the best FX work, but you have to be impressed with the rendering of Gollum from both a character and as a CGI effect.

Starchaser107
11-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Smeagol / gollum was excellent

judge pen has pierced the corrects heart with a ring wreaths sword!

Kristoffer
11-11-2003, 02:38 AM
Havn't read the books so I dun know the story... but I hope gollum have a bigger role in the last one. I wannas see what he looked like b4 the ring phucked him up

MasterKiller
11-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Granted the Ents were both ****y and not the best FX work, but you have to be impressed with the rendering of Gollum from both a character and as a CGI effect. Gollum looked good. Too bad eveything else looked like a 70's made-for-TV movie.

I hate the scenes where the camera pulls back, and one of the smaller people, like the dwarf or the hobbits, is shown in perspective to the humans because YOU CAN TELL it's a kid in a costume.

I actually had high hopes when I saw this series was being made. I just can't stand watching them.

Judge Pen
11-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Before Peter Jackson made these films it was speculated that they could not be made at all. The scope was too big and the effects would be overwhelming. I think Jackson has done a better job than could have been imagined. Granted the "strings" are showing on a couple of effects, but movies are about being trasported into another world and if you don't get bogged down in the details, then these films do just that.

If you watch the making of special features on the extended version, you gain a new respect of the level of detail that went into making these movies. I don't think they could have been made better by ANYONE with the budget that Peter Jackson was given.

And they were midgets not kids. Give the little people their dues! :p

Originally posted by Kristoffer
Havn't read the books so I dun know the story... but I hope gollum have a bigger role in the last one. I wannas see what he looked like b4 the ring phucked him up

I believe that you do in this next film.

I've tried reading the books, but Tolkein is better at imagining and creating worlds, and history, language, and characters then he is about writing about them. It's taken me two years to read the Hobbit and Fellowship and it will probably be another two years before I finish the last two.

MasterKiller
11-11-2003, 07:46 AM
but movies are about being trasported into another world and if you don't get bogged down in the details, then these films do just that. That's the problem. I can't enjoy the movie because I am constantly pulled out of my suspension of disbelief. The effects aren't my only problem with the movies, because all in all, I find them extremely boring. The characters are flat, the dialouge is flat, and the action has no purpose except to move from one meeting to another. I could even live with that if the story was interesting, but really, 6 hours of "Frodo will not fail us" is about all I can stand. To each his own.

I've tried reading the books, but Tolkein is better at imagining and creating worlds, and history, language, and characters then he is about writing about them.I think that's the problem with the scripts. Jackson tried to remain true to the original writing, which is pretty bad to begin with.

Judge Pen
11-11-2003, 07:52 AM

I think that's the problem with the scripts. Jackson tried to remain true to the original writing, which is pretty bad to begin with.

If that's the case, then I understand why you don't like the stories. I think Jackson improved on the telling of the tale and made it better than Tolkien.

But, then again, I practice SD so what the hell do I know? :D

MasterKiller
11-11-2003, 07:54 AM
I think Jackson improved on the telling of the tale and made it better than Tolkien. A gold-plated turd is still just an expensive piece of shlt.

Judge Pen
11-11-2003, 01:07 PM
I get the feeling you wouldn't like these movies no matter how well done they were. On one hand you were complaining on some of the poorly rendered effects and how they were distracting enough to jar you from your suspension of belief but on the other hand the source material is weak and gold-plated piece of sh1t still stinks.

Different strokes for different folks. At least we agree on the Matrix and Madden.

MasterKiller
11-11-2003, 01:46 PM
I wanted to like them. I really did. But, alas, I find no redeeming value in them.

Of course, I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I know a lot of people say the same about that series as well.

I have a feeling, though, that after the initial fervor dies out in a year or two, LOTR will be an after-thought in cinema history, and Matrix will become the "new star wars," much to the chagrin of LOTR fans.

Starchaser107
11-11-2003, 02:08 PM
well mk perhaps you're right. afterall LOTR isn't bringing anything New to the table. Unlike the Matrix, LOTR has been about for a while so perhaps it might after all be a case that it's success is fleeting and far less ppl can relate to it... Personally although I find it an interesting story and a story about humanity, it's way to eurocentric for me to totally accept everything. The Matrix does not seem to have that problem as alot of people are represented in it. In LOTR european civilization and folklore are depicted, and I believe in this day and age might contribute to LOTR not being significant in alot of ppls eyes and hearts.

I can identify with the characters in the Matrix, I can be a participant almost in those films, even if it means I'm a battery.
However I have a difficult time bonding with Elves, Dwarfs, Hobbits, European Nobility &Wizards (almost sword and stoneish)

See what I'm getting at?, I thought LOTR was a good film , but, I just can't commit myself totally to it because of my socialization.

the question is " would I have felt more of a connection if , Asian , African, Indian, etc. people were represented in the film?"

maybe, but , some people just aren't fans of that genre, and I must say I'm not really gaa gaa over anything in those movies other than the "eye candy" of gollum, and the epic storytelling.

immersion - no
appreciation - yes.

my 2 cents

Judge Pen
11-12-2003, 06:26 AM
I disagree. Although I love the Matrix (especially the thrid one which really puts the entire series into perspective) I don't think that LOTR will just be a footnote in film history (although I don't think the Matrix trilogy will be held as high in esteem either). I think it will be the seminal example of how to adapt a classic piece of literature into a movie. PJ did it with a limited budget (spread over three films) stayed true to the source material, but adapted it enough to tell a better story in the film medium. Now if you can't relate or enjoy the ideas of the source material, you won't like or relate to the movies either.

Eh, who know, though? Time will tell.