PDA

View Full Version : Without the might, you can't fight.

bobojoe02
09-01-2003, 10:21 PM
According to the Grandmasters, if you ain't got Qi, jing, or shen, you just ain't got the fight, get it?

In other words, you can't fight because there ain't nothin inside you to fight with. You need to develop the fighting power like a fuel. Or else, your weak aSs body will cripple up on you. Course, most don't get this because they ain't never had a real fight. That's over most of their heads, huh?

FUEL is Qi, jing, shen. Can't drive without it. Can't fight without it. The MIGHT Inside.

Yo, If you are studying the real arts quit embarrasing yourself by NOT knowing about the basics, already, Just ask Gene Ching.
Bo

Starchaser107
09-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Bobo, why should we ask Gene?
Why isn't Gene responding to any of this?
What's really going on here?

What youre saying about energy and fighting sounds like a reasonable arguement.

Laughing Cow
09-01-2003, 10:32 PM
So Qi, Jing & Shen is all we need to be good MA?

Hmmm, must have been wasting time than because my Teachers told me that we need more than that.

:D

Laughing Cow
09-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Starchaser107.

The 3 treasures he talks about are said to be what elevates a good MA above the rest.

They are trained and developed in different stage of your MA training.

When he sez that we need to have them before we should even start training is BS.
Correct continous practice under a good teacher will develop those.

Bo-meister here I think read a certain article and took it the wrong way and now thinks he got it all.

Qi = everybody got it.
Jings= are trained in the forms, drills, etc.
Shen = comes after you got the following 4 (Calmness, Agility, Breath(Qi), Internal force(Jing).

Read the:
FIVE CHARACTER SECRET (http://www.geocities.com/mafuyee/classics7.html)

Those are no secrets nor are they anything special.

One thing he forgets and that is "YI"(Intent) which,IMO, is the most important.

Seeya.

IronFist
09-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Do UFC fighters have developed qi, shen, or jing? They can fight.

IronFist

Laughing Cow
09-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Do UFC fighters have jing? They can fight.

IronFist

IMO, yes, they do.

People get hung up on the chinese names and thing that they represent something special or extraordinary.

What also many forget that a lot of Chinese MA were illiterate and so much knowledge was composed into "songs" to help the transmission of knowledge.

Neither does this mean that those concepts or knowledge were unique to a system, style or even a region.

Cheers.

IronFist
09-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Really? I thought qi and all that were built up through standing meditation and qigong and internal practice and stuff. I didn't know you could develop it through wailing on a heavy bag and doing full contact striking and grappling every day.

:confused:

I agree that people get caught up with chinese concepts and such, but I thought internal stuff was strictly internal.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

IronFist

Laughing Cow
09-02-2003, 12:07 AM
IF.

Don't let the following on.

The internal/external split/definitions is a little bit over 100yrs old and was propagated by a few internal masters. ;)

Chen TJQ has a History of 300 plus yrs, Xing Yi is even older.

Qi-gong are means to conditon the body & mind, there is no special super duper power or energy.

All arts are a mix of so called "internal" & "external" components and training methods.

Find me an art that is 100% external or 100% internal and I will reconsider what I wrote above.

Cheers.

Starchaser107
09-02-2003, 12:11 AM
LC
I'm a believer that what might be a hat for my head to me,might just be a sombrero for another guys cabeza.
gotta run now , will chat later ,
thanx

IronFist
09-02-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow
Find me an art that is 100% external or 100% internal and I will reconsider what I wrote above.

I dunno, isn't standing qigong, like hugging the tree posture, 100% internal, especially if that's all someone does?

For external, what about TKD or boxing? There's no meditation, no qigong, no specific breath work aside from how to breathe when striking or being hit (I mean there's no "breathe into the dan tian, lead the chi to this specific point, then over to this specific point, etc...).

Like I said, I dunno.

IronFist

Laughing Cow
09-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

I dunno, isn't standing qigong, like hugging the tree posture, 100% internal, especially if that's all someone does?

Ever seen the Shaolin Monks & other styles stand on top of tall poles holding poses?

Hugging the Tree, is only one pose we do, like with many things in CMA there are different level and training methods.

For external, what about TKD or boxing? There's no meditation, no qigong, no specific breath work aside from how to breathe when striking or being hit (I mean there's no "breathe into the dan tian, lead the chi to this specific point, then over to this specific point, etc...).

Breathe to the Dan-tien = Abdominal breathing.

Lead the Chi = focus your punch/energy.

Sloppy technique = being unbalanced(not rooted), movement being broken and not smooth.

Those are all guides written in the old language nothing more.

Yes, we use them as they are terms that everybody knows in CMA, cuts the explanations down.

Same way when I speak to a stylist from another country I will use the chinese posture names rather than ones that are only used local.

I think it is a pity that a lot of material is still not made available in english as it would help get rid of a lot of misconceptions, but than some people might be against it because they would loose their mythical edge.

Cheers.

Laughing Cow
09-02-2003, 12:51 AM
IF.

Here is an example of confusing terminology.
Peng Jin (Wardoff Energy):
The one "jing" common to all MA. ;)

Most people will explain it using the image of a full ballon.
If something pushes on it the air in the baloon will automatically rebel the incoming force.

This is a visualisation aid.
In my style we need to make sure that everything is rounded(horizontally and vertically) in order to get there.

This can/should also be trained via "Hugging the Tree" pose.

Often our teacher will come up and push on our arms/knees to see if it is there, if the structure(arm/leg) collapses/gives it is not, if we rebel him using excessive muscular force it isn't either.

This is also tested by stopping a student during forms execution and teacher pushes from the "8 directions" to check for faults.
Cheers.

Surferdude
09-02-2003, 04:26 AM
Ki is all you need!:D

Judge Pen
09-02-2003, 05:26 AM
I'll agree with LC. Everyone has qi. If you didn't you'd be dead. It is developed through training. You can do it without realizing it or you can specialize and focus on cultaviting it such as qi gong.

bobojoe02
09-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Bo-meister said it all if he is the one who gave the 5 Character Stlye report but it ZIPPPPPPPPPPPPP, right over Cow's whittle head,

chen zhen
09-02-2003, 02:17 PM
BoBo's so stupid, when the judge said, "Order in the court," he said, "I'll have a hamburger and a Coke!"

SanSoo Student
09-02-2003, 02:19 PM
I think we should dim mak blast hobojoe and go have some tea afterwards. :D

CaptinPickAxe
09-02-2003, 03:21 PM
I second that...

Starchaser107
09-02-2003, 03:34 PM
agreed

CaptinPickAxe
09-02-2003, 03:36 PM
I wish the forum were like survivor. I vote Bojo's stubborn ass of the island...:D