PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this book?

IronFist
09-02-2003, 12:15 AM
"Chi Kung, Development and Practical Application in Wing Chun Kung-Fu" (http://www.insidekungfu.com/books.html)

IronFist

IronFist
09-02-2003, 12:31 AM
I just downloaded some videos from their site. One was 1 second long and was called "punch" and showed a closeup of a guys face with some blood on his tooth.

IronFist

John Weiland
09-02-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Re: What do you think about this book?
"Chi Kung, Development and Practical Application in Wing Chun Kung-Fu" (http://www.insidekungfu.com/books.html)

IronFist
I don't think we can learn Wing Chun from a book. Save your money and wait for the movie. :D

Regards,

old jong
09-02-2003, 07:09 AM
..It would be even better to simply join in a good Wing Chun club...Available near you!....
BTW, I watched the small "root" video....I sometimes teach that trick to visitors and beginners at my club!...It's a trick!

Have somebody push your chest and see how he can back move you backward with ease. Now, have him do the same thing but this time, gently push his elbows upward while he is exerting lots of force and wondering how you can resist . With some practice,you can do that trick while in YGKYM.
It's even better if you revulse your eyes for added dramatical effect!...;)

hunt1
09-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Old Jong you are too kind. I watched the rootedness clip. Not only is he using the push on the elbow trick ala Leung Ting but from a kneeling position while the pusher is standing. Based on this, reading or downloading anyting from this guy is a waste of time at best. Cant even perform a carnival trick well.

However you are wrong about pushing on the chest. I have had powerlifters push on my chest and not be able to move me out of my stance keeping my hands at my sides. Only contact is his hand or hands to my chest. The more common method to demonstrate rootedness is to put out your arms hands held in firsts. Have pusher push on fists. Really fun to do this on one leg.

old jong
09-02-2003, 08:02 AM
It is only a trick anybody can do at the instant. It works very well on one leg too and it is very funny to see the surprised look on the face of both pusher and pushed.
Now your way is a more serious kind of "trick"!....;) Could you share infos about this of pm me if you prefer?...

IronFist
09-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by John Weiland

I don't think we can learn Wing Chun from a book. Save your money and wait for the movie. :D

Regards,

Wow, that was helpful :rolleyes:

I meant as a supplement, I thought maybe someone here had read the book and might be able to contribute something useful. Most of the Wing Chun books I've looked through suck, and so if I can't find it at Borders I ask before I buy.

IronFist

John Weiland
09-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

Wow, that was helpful :rolleyes:

I meant as a supplement, I thought maybe someone here had read the book and might be able to contribute something useful. Most of the Wing Chun books I've looked through suck, and so if I can't find it at Borders I ask before I buy.

IronFist
Looking at the other comments, most found little of value in the website and the clues given about the book's contents. I would not buy the book. I don't believe you would gain legitimate Wing Chun insight from it. Plainly speaking, you can't get value "supplementing" your Wing Chun with written drivel.

While there are many valid differences in Wing Chun lineages, the book does not seem to represent depth of knowledge.

Do what you want of course. I'd save my money. That's all I was saying with my playful comments.

I'm sure that enough folks will buy any book which claims Wing Chun content that there will always be new books to buy for the collector of such.

FWIW, the only Wing Chun books I own, since I don't buy them to collect, are David Peterson's tribute to his Sifu Wong Shun Leung and Rene's and Robert's et al's "Complete Wing Chun," which isn't. I'd like to write a tribute such as David's and Rene's (Rene's article to his Sigung, Sum Nun) to my teacher some day, but I won't pass it off as a book teaching Wing Chun secrets.

Regards,

IronFist
09-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks. I assumed it was crap but I wanted other's opinions, too.

IronFist

jonp
09-02-2003, 04:25 PM
ive read the book. i dont agree with what it says but then im not a 'chi' believer.

he does seem to imply that basic WT, VT, WC skills however are down to chi energy, things like root and punching power. i not a fan of this view as it stops people thinkin about what their bodys doin physically (not that im good enough to explain it well :P)

i think the author entered UFC a while back.

im sure i took something from reading the book, but i wouldnt recommend buying it - or any book ive read for that matter. go train - thoughtfully.

leung ting may have used that trick, not seen it myself, but im sure he used it as a trick, or a simple example of power redirection. the dude does have skill dont let people tell you otherwise.

peace

anerlich
09-02-2003, 07:09 PM
But there are many stories of Grandmaster Yip’s chi kung abilities. One that is common is that he would sometimes spend up to an hour to perform the Siu Num Tao form. It has been reported that he sometimes put a wet piece of paper on his shoulders and that after finishing the form the paper would be dry.

I don't find the above particularly convincing. WC is a fighting art - I have a clothes dryer at home if I need something dried. I think if I stood in SLT with wet paper on my shoulders for an hour, I'd be able to dry it off as well. Especially out in the sun in midsummer.

Sounds like another guy trying to claim his WC has something that everyone else's hasn't.

The book might have some good stuff in it, but I haven't been convinced into buying it based on what's on the site.

Universal Stance
09-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by John Weiland

Regards,

Been there done that :D . There's been at least 5 great wing chun movies... "Prodigal Son" is the best...you will learn much and laugh hard.

hunt1
09-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Old Jong I am happy to swap PMs. I willt ry to answer your questions but I am very bad at descriptions. Alos as you correctly surmised I am at times to reluctant to give somethings away.
The pushing on the punch demo is bades on correct elbow position and the ability to allow energy to flow through you to the ground. being relaxed is the key. The second part of the trick is of course to extend the punch as sent those pushing flying.
The second method requires cordination between upper and lower body and is from my pov the essence of basic wing chun usage.
It requires using energy is 2 directions at the same time. Same concept as in chi sao or tan da . if your upper and lower body are not linked togetehr and most arent no matter what they think you cant do this.. Energy from the push flows into the groung and as push gets heavier energy is sent matched tot he push so energy going into round and energy going forward matching the push. This has direct combat application. It aloows you to hold your ground and recieve the attack. The attacker actually can uproot himself. i am by no means expert at this . there are many who read the forum that I am sure are far more capable than I and certainly could explain things better.

Phenix
09-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by old jong

Have somebody push your chest and see how he can back move you backward with ease

Hey if Wing Chun let you push her chest either you married her or she killed you :D

Phenix
09-03-2003, 12:41 PM
This is a demonstration of rootedness. Rootedness is the ability to weight one's body into the ground so as to seem immovable.

IMHO, the problem of this type of immovable is the person who preform it is immovable also. some aikido trick.... great to impress people in college...

nice try for the book
so, well, nice try but next time.

Phenix
09-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by jonp
ive read the book. i dont agree with what it says but then im not a 'chi' believer.

he does seem to imply that basic WT, VT, WC skills however are down to chi energy, things like root and punching power. i not a fan of this view as it stops people thinkin about what their bodys doin physically (not that im good enough to explain it well :P)

honestly, I dont see any Qi involve at all and I don't see how qi was cultivate, scanning the book and different site. certainly, lots of qouting and general term.....

or my qi concept is different to him? IMHO, my qi idea is one can walk throw the opponet... just walk throw it and drop him. an energy transfer via awareness and intention.

as crytal clear and transparent and seeing the ink waving when one is writing as this fountain pen.

http://www.lamy.de/en/produkte/data/xvista.html

[Censored]
09-03-2003, 01:22 PM
There's been at least 5 great wing chun movies

Names please. AFAIK there are only two, Prodigal Son and Warriors Two. The others sucked and/or contained no Wing Chun.

yuanfen
09-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Advanced biu jee practitioners understand that the short films of the Three Stooges were scripted by wing chun secret societies-
long before the Prodigal son and the Warriors Two.

S.Teebas
09-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Phenix said:

IMHO, the problem of this type of immovable is the person who preform it is immovable also.

If you're talking about what hunt1 said, you're wrong. The ability to redirect force to the ground while moving is totally possible.

Phenix
09-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by S.Teebas
Phenix said:

If you're talking about what hunt1 said, you're wrong. The ability to redirect force to the ground while moving is totally possible.

What Hunt1 said?

sure it is posible to redirect force to the ground while moving.

But

Most demonstration immoveable art just immoveable for demonstration.