PDA

View Full Version : What kind of precautions should you take when training with somebody outside ofclass?

phantom
09-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Let's say you wanted to do some friendly sparring with a fellowm classmate outside of class. Or perhaps you wish to do it with somebody from another school/style. Perhaps you just want to do various self-defense drills with somebody outside of class. What kind of precautions should you take while doing so? What companies' sparring gear would you recommend? What companies sell a mat that would be good to practice grappling moves on, including throws? In today's litigation happy society, I think it would be necesary for both of you to sign a contract to protect each other from a lawsuit, for even fellow family members and friends have sued each other in the past. Where can you go to have a formal, legally binding contract printed up? Also, what clauses should you make sure are in the contract, besides the obvious one that you agree to do this at your own risk? Should you have a third party who has martial arts experinece to supervise this activity in order to minimize the risk of getting hurt? Thanks in advance.

Ray Pina
09-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Almost all of my sparring occurs out of class with non training brothers.

As far as gear: it depends. Usually head gear and boxing gloves if we're just playing around. If it gets more serious elbow pads on our biceps and forearm pads that strecth to the elbow.

It helps a lot to have a third party around to call "break." When there isn't it tends to get ugly and the egos really come out.

I suggest training with people you trust, or at least consider not total a$$holes. Play hard, but be cool. Aim to learn, not hurt.

phantom
09-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Ttt.

Judge Pen
09-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist

I suggest training with people you trust, or at least consider not total a$$holes. Play hard, but be cool. Aim to learn, not hurt.

I think trust is the biggest factor. You need to feel out a sparring partner to make sure their ego (or yours) won't become an issue. Knowing the "rules" of your sparring session is another. The equipement depends on that.

Implied consent/assumption of the risk should cover any accidental injuries that could occur in the sparring as long as you discuss the level and techniques allowed prior to sparring and no one interntioally or recklessly exceeds those levels. However, if you need a good aiver, I can draft one up for you. . .;)

Dark Knight
09-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Its tough working with someone outside of class, especially if they are not from the same school. Ego's come into play. You say lets go easy so we can work out, but the other person may want to prove something. Or they want to be able to tell their friends how there system beat you (Even if you use point rules)

And no matter what the outcome he will tell his buddies how he got you with a good shot.

I fought one guy who didnt want to look bad ever, so he always up-ed the intensity. We ended up in a slug fest and we both went home hurt. (I had a black eye that was half shut for a few days)

Be careful, you may agree to one thing and find yourself getting hurt by some one who claims to be a friend.

I work out with other instructors that I have known for years. I wear gloves and shin/insteps(cloth) Because they are school owners we go to their schools or mine.

No_Know
09-04-2003, 09:09 AM
I don't use equipment usually.

Say what speed you both are comfortable with. I've gone with slow or easy start. If it doesnot naturally/automatically pick-up stop and ask if a little faster or harder is O.K. with the other person.

It can get faster than you prefer. Try to not be mad. Nor Act harshly. See if you can manage the person's pace or keep it up and prepare to break or stop and say not this fast yet if it's O.K. with you. or keep the speed but ask, not as hard...

When I got winded and would have thrown-up at another exchange I put my hand-up and said that that's it for me. The other person acknowledged that and we went on to other studies. You can talk while you get your breath or the such.

The other time I gave warning that I was tiring and then minutes later that that was about It for me.