PDA

View Full Version : Taking strikes to the ribs

IronFist
09-02-2003, 04:04 PM
If I lay flat on my back my ribs are visible. In other words, there's really no fat covering it, and there's no muscle over it. It's like bone and skin. How do you train to protect yourself from strikes there? I could see them breaking easily.

I mean real training techniques. "Adding fat" does not count.

IronFist

Raatra
09-02-2003, 04:09 PM
I generally learn to keep myself aware of my elbow positioning. I use my elbows alot for blocks and shields, but in most cases they are armor for my ribs.

Volcano Admim
09-02-2003, 04:09 PM
yes that area is fragile -> true

protect it with your members and your footwork

only way

u should be tahnkfull this tower of knowledge (me) is here avalible for all to give you for free this awesome informations

FatherDog
09-02-2003, 10:08 PM
You don't. There's no muscle to insulate the bone there, and not enough bone to fully protect you, so you train not to get hit there.

Same way you don't train to get used to being hit in the eyes, or the junk.

*Insert Juko Kai joke here*

Mojo
09-03-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Volcano Admim

protect it with your members and your footwork

Your a lucky man if your member can cover your ribs !

Volcano Admim
09-03-2003, 09:26 AM
what?

Volcano Admim
09-03-2003, 10:14 AM
sorry, am i exciting your cells?

Shaolin-Do
09-03-2003, 10:15 AM
My cells will burninate your puny cells.

SevenStar
09-03-2003, 10:25 AM
bone shields - keep your elbows down. when your elbows are flaring, you leave yourself open for it. catching an elbow to the shin and/or instep can hurt like hades - I've felt it several times. I've also found from experience (actually breaking someone's ribs) that it's not extremely hard to break a person's ribs.

Xdr4g0nx
09-03-2003, 10:46 AM
at my school the advance class pratice "kai da" (spell?) thats where two people hit each other on different part of the body to help strengthen that area. During this we cresent kick each other in the ribs, not to hard just eough to impact it. and then after that we learn how to protect the ribs :).

Chang Style Novice
09-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Floating ribs=juicy target

Shaolin-Do
09-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Babyback ribs = juicy cut
mmmm.......

Sorry... Couldnt help it. Getting hit in the ribs gently would help... Iron body Qigong... Ummm... Working your lats and obliques should help a little, they give support....

Xdr4g0nx
09-03-2003, 11:31 AM
o and off course "cultivate the 3 treasures" so u can block the punch/kick with ur chi.

SaMantis
09-03-2003, 12:18 PM
unfortunately only bobobobobjobo knows what the 3 treasures are, so the rest of us are just SOL.

Guess all I can rely on is my Amazing Kung Fu Grip (tm)

shaolinboxer
09-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Keep your elbow down and hollow your chest when you spar. I've had my ribs fractured 4 times. You can't breathe, let alone sit up. And the threat of a sneeze is terrifying.

bung bo
09-03-2003, 12:31 PM
i've read of some southern mantis rib-strengthening techniques. you could research that

SevenStar
09-03-2003, 01:26 PM
bung bo, do you train with yu shan?

bung bo
09-08-2003, 10:13 AM
sevenstar--yeah, i train with yu shan. i really like the pong lai stuff.

Vash
09-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Advice from an active whiner . . . Don't. I got mine cracked/separated 6 months ago, an' it's gonna be another month before I can do a situp.

Don't hurt too bad to laught though. If it's not a belly laugh.

**** cartilage. I'm getting everything replaced with titanium, rubber, and super-glue.

Buby
09-08-2003, 07:18 PM
We have a form that we train that teaches you to pack the chi in the ribs, it's done with dynamic tension. Also shows you how close off your ribs, to make it difficult to get pheonix eyes, panther fists and other fists used to poke through small cavities in the body.

Hollowing your chest is what we call ha hum batt boy and works great for rib shots and generating power when punching.

Take care,
buby

IronFist
09-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Vash said:
Advice from an active whiner . . . Don't. I got mine cracked/separated 6 months ago, an' it's gonna be another month before I can do a situp.

Don't hurt too bad to laught though. If it's not a belly laugh.

**** cartilage. I'm getting everything replaced with titanium, rubber, and super-glue.

Holy crap, what happened?

Buby said:
We have a form that we train that teaches you to pack the chi in the ribs, it's done with dynamic tension. Also shows you how close off your ribs, to make it difficult to get pheonix eyes, panther fists and other fists used to poke through small cavities in the body.

Is this something you can explain?

Thanks,

IronFist

Vash
09-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Well, at my black belt test, a sho dan caught me with a kick right in the solar plexus. detached the rib from the cartilage, cracked it in a few spots going around the side.

And, in my ignorance, after the test, I continued working out till it was just to ****ing annoying.

Xdr4g0nx
09-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Have yall seen the skit on SNL where they did that with yoga. Like the master yoga instructor was dared to do it by his students. It was pretty funny

greendragon
09-10-2003, 04:02 PM
learn to MOVE