PDA

View Full Version : exercise during pregnancy

vikinggoddess
09-02-2003, 06:30 PM
any suggestions for special exercises to do during pregnancy?

thank you.

Mr Punch
09-03-2003, 04:41 AM
from what most of my friends who have had children have said, you can't do enough pelvic floor exercises...

oh and light sex and orgasms are supposed to be good...

seriously.

fa_jing
09-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Check with your doctor. Or an expert. This is a highly specialized question and I doubt anyone here has the expertise to answer it. Nor do we know your medical history, nor are we obstetricians. I've been hanging around this forum for a long time and there are some great resources here in terms of regular physical training - but exercising while pregnant requires an expert opinion. Although I will say that there are some books out there on practicing Yoga during pregnancy, check your local bookstore and check with your ob/gyn.

Cheese Dog
09-03-2003, 11:19 PM
I've heard tai chi is particuraly good during pregnancy.

Ming Yue
09-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Yoga, tai chi, and light Pilates are potentials.

Things to consider are how far along you are, how your general conditioning and health is, and if there are any special considerations with your reproductive history.

Don't begin anything without consulting your OBGYN. He/she probably has a good list of local resources for you and can help you choose something right for you and your baby.

Radhnoti
09-14-2003, 02:09 PM
When my wife was pregnant, our doctor told us that she SHOULD continue an exercise routine that she was already doing...but at 75-80% (note: this applied to all but the last 2 months...and she wouldn't have felt like it then anyway). He didn't think it was a good idea to start anything new, except a basic stretching/flexibility program. Daily walking worked well for her...right up until her due date actually.

The better shape you're in when it comes time to deliver, the easier time you'll have...so I was told. Still looked pretty tough to me. :eek: