PDA

View Full Version : What is Chi Sickness?

IronFist
09-02-2003, 07:28 PM
What is it? I recently read about it.

IronFist

Repulsive Monkey
09-03-2003, 12:32 AM
The wording isn't clear, maybe its just deficiency?

Pakmei
09-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Chi Sickness or sometimes called "Bin Qi = Sick Qi".

This is where the Qi of a person's body (be it from the Gu Qi, Zhong Qi, Zhen Qi to the Ying and Wei Qi) becomes either stagnant or deficient, and thus leading to illness.

Basically it is bad Qi that needs to be either expelled from the body (if caused by trauma) or tonified/regulated if caused by say bad diet, life style, etc.

Usually they say that a person can pick up someone else's Bin Qi, because of the other persons intention (think Dim Mak here... it's not so much the strike that does the damage but it's the intention behind the strike!).

So here someone hits you with intention, what they are actually doing is injecting Bin Qi directly into the meridians and blood circulation in order to disrupt and cause damage.

I'm a Tui Na practitioner and martial artist. I know from personal experience the effects of Bin Qi being transfered to me.

I treated a patient of mine who has Parkinson's. When I started to work on his body and become open and conected to his energetic body, I could feel this unusual energy inside his body zipping past my fingers and hands. This made me more curious to find out what this energy was (the best way I can only describe it is, it was like a mouse scurrying underneath a carpet) so the deeper I felt to see if I could get a handle on this unusual energy.

However the deeper I felt, the more unnerved I became. Because as the treatment progressed I could feel this twitching / trembling sensation travelling up through my hands into my arms then up to my shoulders and neck. Thats was when I broke contact with the patient.

Thsi was my first experience of transference of Bin Qi. I know the patient never intended for that to happen, after all he has to live with this aweful condition for the rest of his life.
The only way I can describe Bin Qi is; it very much like a very muddy pool of water... it clogs up the meridians and slows down the circulation of Qi and blood, leaving a very sluggish and heavy feeling in the limbs.

Basically after the treatment session, I had to perform some serious dispersal techniques to expel the Bin Qi from my body.

Since that episode, I'm now very aware of transference of energy between person to person, I'm able to protect myself while working on patients.

Repulsive Monkey
09-04-2003, 06:35 AM
You haven't studied at all under Dr Shen Hongxun or his daughter Shen Jin by any chance have you? Or even that Wang Ji-ban?

Pakmei
09-04-2003, 06:54 AM
RM,

No I haven't studied under Dr Shen, nor have I studied his Bu Qi system of healing.

Although I do know quite a few of his students so I guess that some of their training has brushed off on me.

Like I mentioned above... I'm a Tui Na practitioner trained under Sarah Pritchard @ LCTA and a student of Acupuncture at the moment.

Do you do any form of TCM?

tanglang
09-04-2003, 06:58 AM
and really made me think. You know, I'm a physiotherapist and absolutely critic in esoteric things. If someone would have told me something like that before I would have told him he's crazy, but I had a similar experience with a female patient with breast-cancer after OP .She already had metastases in the hip-and head-bones. I tried some head-work, that's what we call it, taking the head of the lying patient in the hands and moving it slowly for reducing the hypertonus of the neck-muscles and for general relaxation. While I was doing so, I suddenly felt absolutely strange, three of my fingers were tickling and I could feel! how something went through my fingers into the arm and the rest of my body, my stomach felt strange and so on. When I lay her head down the feeling was gone again. Next time I went to her it was the same. I was really affraid because I had no explanation for this. So: I asked a collegue if he could go on with her treatment. And : I never talked with someone about this, only with a good friend who is a physiotherapist himself. But he never had something similar during his treatments.You may laugh about it, but it's true.

[Censored]
09-04-2003, 12:09 PM
All sickness can be called chi sickness. The phrase doesn't mean anything.

IronFist
09-04-2003, 02:57 PM
I read about it in "Pathnotes of an American Ninja Master." It said that dealing with "Chi-Sickness" is an obstacle in awakening the Kundalini, or something along those lines.

IronFist

tanglang
09-05-2003, 04:12 AM
hmm. Have no idea how to do it and tend to believe that you're right after this experience- but don't know if I want to go so far to learn this...still critic- or maybe affraid of things I don't know, you know? So: How would you keep bad chi out?

Repulsive Monkey
09-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Just qualified in Acupuncture. Been studying at Reading, C.I.C.M.
I hear that Dr Song Xuan Ke is quite involved at LCTA, or was, am I right?
I am wanting now that my course is prettyt much finished to add on as adjuncts another active component to my needling have have thought about either Buqi or Tuina. I know that basics for Buqi but not the details but from a TCM point of view the three main apsects are of course Acupuncture, Herbs and Tuina, so I thought I might aswell tackle the other two now!

Do you know of any other places more towards the SW of UK that is reputable for teaching Tuina?? I would much appreciate any information.

Pakmei
09-08-2003, 02:59 AM
RM,

The only places that I know that teach Tui Na in a structured format are LCTA and Westminster (possibly Reading... though I'm not to sure on that one).

Not quite sure about East Grinstead though. Are they still up and running? Don't tend to hear much of that particular college!

Repulsive Monkey
09-08-2003, 04:43 AM
Well Since the begining of May Grinstead I suppose has been in turmoil since Diedericus Van Buren the college's founder died.

Reading doeasn't have Tuina on its course as a permanent fixture yet but its making its way there with small steps.

Pakmei
09-08-2003, 05:30 AM
RM,

I do believe that Reading approach Sarah Pritchard (who taught me Tui Na) about teaching Tui Na. But from what I gather, the package that they offered her wasn't to great.

So she decided against teaching at Reading.

Still it's only a matter of tiime before Tui Na becomes very popular in this country, then all the colleges will be offering a course in it.

In the next few months there will be the British Tui Na Association up and running, which will hold all the names of qualified and student Tui Na practitioners from the accredited colleges like LCTA and Westminster and possibly Reading when they start a course.

Only reason why I know about this is because I was asked by Sarah to be one of the founding members of the association, where I was tasked with building the database that holds all the names, details & qualifications of the Tui Na practitioners, etc.

Have to say, it's quite exciting being involved in something from it's inception and watching it take form and grow. But as with all these types of associations, already it seems that the majority of people involved are arguing over the most trivial of things.

Still hopefully at the next meeting, most problems will be ironed out. Anyway thats enough plugging of the BTNA! LOL :)

Have you managed to find any work in clinics now that you have qualified in acupuncture?