PDA

View Full Version : Time for a fun thread

Tigerdragon
04-04-2001, 08:19 PM
Ok lets have some fun. Lets get hypothetical.
Answer the questions below.

If you got into an unavoidable confrontation and a fight is inevitable, he/she has just taken up a fighting stance of some sort, would you....Strike first or wait for them to strike and counter and what is the reason for your choice

Next
Its a perfect world so your first shot will land perfectly...what is your top(favorite) choice as a first target and why?

My answers:
I would strike first. They have already taken up a threatening posture. I don't know how good or fast the person might be so better to hit first and ask questions latter.

Next... I would go for the neck. Its a soft tissue target so I am less likely to hurt myself and by hitting the arteries on either side of the neck you can produce a KO or at the very least some temporary disorientation. Just enough to make it very hard to avoid the next 20 shots that will follow it =)

Fun topic?? I think so
Eric

Assumption is the mother of tragedy. Just keep and open mind and be ready

ansgenius1
04-05-2001, 01:19 AM
I would wait until they threw the first punch. The whole legal thing is what I'm worried about. I can say they threw the first punch and it was self defense. Also, I practice more countering than I do offense.

joedoe
04-05-2001, 01:25 AM
I am more of a counter kind of fighter, not really into the first strike thing - I trust my defense enough to deal with that. And as mentioned before, the legal aspects of striking first.

My ideal first target would be a good solid strike to the nose. Not only does this hurt but it causes their eyes to water.

Second most ideal point would be a controlled strike to the throat.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

nickle
04-05-2001, 01:41 AM
the thing about striking first is that it can get you into a lot of legal trouble...

but... i do like the idea of a upward palm strike to the chin, offbalancing him, followed by a round elbow to the jaw converting into a neck grab with a knee to the groin.

this is the sas gaurenteed 3 second knockout...

ciao

-specialization is for ants-

8stepsifu
04-05-2001, 02:27 AM
low front kick, jab/grab if it's blocked, reverse sun punch, throw, if the sun punch is blocked, I'd elbow and then throw, Basically I'd hit first to feel out where they are body position wise and then just take whatever is availible.

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

share kung fu vids....www.imesh.com

zen_celt
04-05-2001, 03:58 AM
I am kinda partial to the "can't stand, can't fight" idea, so I would probably smash their kneecap and move in to grab at their head and wrist. Thus making breakage and a good face-wall pounding easier. A good knee to the nose is quite fun as well. As far as attack/ defense goes, while an attacking person is at a disadvantage since any attack opens up a weakness, I like to take charge and not give them a chance to hurt me. That only ****es me off more. "SPOON"
Peace,
Zen_celt

"They exist in a world where there are rules [therefore] they cannot be as fast or strong as you can."-The Matri

Budokan
04-05-2001, 04:34 AM
1. I would run away, like any good MA should do. If that failed I would cower and whimper on the ground. When they walk away in disgust I'd go to my car and get my 9mm. Next step: Blow their medulla oblongata into a pink mist and then execute any pain in the a$$ innocent bystanders who might serve as witnesses. I mean, in a perfect world.

2. Nose. Like ABandit said, it makes their eyes water and you can run away. Then I'd go to my car and get my 9mm. Next step: blow their medulla oblongata into....

Well, you get the point.

Gee, you're right. This is fun! :D

K. Mark Hoover

joedoe
04-05-2001, 05:25 AM
ROTFLMAO @ Budokan :D

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

tanglangman
04-05-2001, 12:17 PM
I'd kick him/her in the knee and then run off.

He/She aint chasing me after that.

MarkS
04-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Tigerdragon : If you got into an unavoidable confrontation and a fight is inevitable, he/she has just taken up a fighting stance of some sort, would you....Strike first or wait for them to strike and counter and what is the reason for your choice

Someone taking up a visible 'fighting' stance already shows a preparation on their part to defend and not attack. An experienced 'fighter' will take up their 'stance' without you knowing it and will have already thrown the attack before you even know you should be defending yourself.
In the instance that the opponent has taken up a stance and a pre-emptive strike has not been thrown by you already (which it should have if you knew the situation was going 'live') then engage the brain by asking a question (the stranger the better)and strike hard and fast, but most importantly on target. The choice of target within this thread is most interesting. The jaw is really the only immediate viable target as far as a knock out goes. Just ask the people who have knocked a lot of people out (if you know any) and they will tell you that the nose simply hurts and blood,pain and tears do not stop someone fighting you, however being knocked out does. There is a lot to be said for only having to hit once. Deciding to counter or block is really only feasible if your opponent has a hopeless strike, anything less than that will result in you getting hit first. Try it in training, get someone who you know can jab fast to put on a glove, stand still a short distance apart and get them to jab you hard and fast on the top of the head (to save yourself some blood and tears)and try to block. Add to that some scenario training and the guy can walk up to you from nowhere do the same thing and you will find that not only can you not block but you will find yourself hard pushed to counter or even slip.
The best answer some have already said, don't be there. The only problem therein is the training you need to make sure that you are indeed not there. Check out courses that include scenario training and concentrate on awareness rather than physical prowess as well as adrenal response, and when you get to that point where you need the physical, learn to jab and cross hard and fast against moving targets. Simple is effective.

Tigerdragon : Its a perfect world so your first shot will land perfectly...what is your top(favorite) choice as a first target and why?

Anywhere along the jawline with a closed fist cross or hook. Why? Knockout, thats why :-)

Mark S