PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Shuai Chiao?

Stranger
09-03-2003, 04:24 AM
I am really bad at pronouncing Chinese terms, so I'd appreciate it if anybody could help clear this up.

count
09-03-2003, 05:16 AM
"swi jow" is probably close enough. I've learned that to much "a" sound means "go to sleep" which might be applicable at that:D To much "h u" sound is a kind of dumpling or pastry. I stopped trying to speak in Chinese a long time ago since the Chinese guys and girls in class usually wind up laughing their assses off. But their english mistakes can be pretty humorous too.:D

Shaolin-Do
09-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Im sure my accents are pretty terrible any time Im speaking a foreign language (or trying to, but I have a really good spanish accent), but engrish is funnier than hell...

Edit: asian chicks that barely speak english are uber-sexy. UBER sexy.

Chang Style Novice
09-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Shh! Why chow?

WanderingMonk
09-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Stranger
I am really bad at pronouncing Chinese terms, so I'd appreciate it if anybody could help clear this up.

Using the current PRC pinyin method, it should be spelled/pronounced: Shuai Jiao. This spelling should make it easier for you to pronounce it.

The Shuai Chiao spelling was the from "weijia" spelling system and used prior to 1949 in the minaland. It is still used in Taiwan although they are now modifying it as well.

wm

PHILBERT
09-03-2003, 01:10 PM
I always pronounced it like CSN said. Shuai I pronounced ShhWhy and Chiao I pronoucned Chow.

CaptinPickAxe
09-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Thats what the keep on saying on Empty Flower too.

WanderingMonk
09-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
Thats what the keep on saying on Empty Flower too.

That's because Mr. John Wang and the core of the Combat Shuai Chiao organization came from Taiwan. Therefore, they kept the "Chiao" spelling. It isn't a problem until Westerners try to pronounce it. If you say Shuai Chow, I would think you are saying "throwing bridge" in mandarian. Use the pinyin system to help with pronounciation of chinese character, it will make your live a lot easier and make your pronounciation much more understandable to mandarian speaker. but, cantonese speaker would still stare at you and said "what did you say?"

wm

David Jamieson
09-06-2003, 09:21 PM
shway jow is how my neighbour says it. He speaks cantonese and comes from HK.

Shway Chow is how the guy who runs the grocery store on the corner says it, he's from Shanghai and speaks 'shanghaiese' :-).

shway chow is how my friend from work says it. also cantonese.

don't know how the mandarin speakers say it yet. tell ya after I get back from c-town on sunday :-)

cheers

old jong
09-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Shuai as in Shwazernegger and Chiao as in Cat Chow!...;) ;) ;)

neigung
09-07-2003, 05:44 AM
I think I'm all frigged up then; I say it "swy jow", with the j softened like french pronunciation. ie, Je t'aime. It's like a cross between a 'juh' sound and 'sh'.