PDA

View Full Version : salute

Xdr4g0nx
09-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Ok i was talking to a friend of mine at school, one of her friend walked up, i have been introduced with him once but havent have any contact with him for a few years now. Anywayz he walked up and i kung fu saluted him, you know the fist in palm salute. hehe any1 else have a similar incident?

chen zhen
09-03-2003, 01:20 PM
NO

CaptinPickAxe
09-03-2003, 01:22 PM
I think its called a bow.:D

MasterKiller
09-03-2003, 01:24 PM
bow, salute....whatever.

I have a school bumper-sticker on my truck. One day, I was driving down the highway and this guy in the passenger seat of the car beside me gave me the salute. I thought that was pretty cool.

Xdr4g0nx
09-03-2003, 01:32 PM
captin - well i just saluted i didn't actually bow, just the hand movements no bending at the waist, or neck

SevenStar
09-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Xdr4g0nx
Ok i was talking to a friend of mine at school, one of her friend walked up, i have been introduced with him once but havent have any contact with him for a few years now. Anywayz he walked up and i kung fu saluted him, you know the fist in palm salute. hehe any1 else have a similar incident?

what was the point of saluting him that way? Are you referring to your martial arts school, or to your high school?

apoweyn
09-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
I think its called a bow.:D

Most CMA sources I've seen refer to it as a salute.

You aren't helping your cause here any, you know. ;)

Stuart B.

CaptinPickAxe
09-03-2003, 02:29 PM
just an honest mistake...only heard it called a bow.
Hence the friendly smile after the comment...

Xdr4g0nx
09-03-2003, 03:31 PM
captin no worries i didn't take offense :)

seven i was at my college. i didn't know y i saluted him just a reflece :rolleyes:

Chang Style Novice
09-03-2003, 04:03 PM
When I see someone out in public I haven't run into for a while, I usually give 'em the 'upnod' whether we've studied kungfu together or not. The fist in the palm thing stays at the kwoon.

joedoe
09-03-2003, 06:17 PM
We don't even use the sun/moon salute to greet each other in class - we shake hands :D We only use the sun/moon salute if demoing, or if it is part of the start of a form.

Laughing Cow
09-03-2003, 06:24 PM
We also only use the salute when doing a demo or performance.

In class any form of greeting goes.

Xdr4g0nx
09-03-2003, 06:40 PM
we use it everywhere, when sifu tells us what to do we use it to thank each other we use it to greet each other we use it to leave or enter we use it. None of this is mandatory but i guess its just habit, the older students did it and so we follow along and then the new students follow us :). but anyway my point is after awhile its habit forming and i keep catching myself do it outside of class :).

joedoe
09-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Nothing wrong with it - just like a secret handshake or something that other types of club might use. :)

I find among my classmates etc. it is only used to impart the highest respect and honour to someone.

Starchaser107
09-03-2003, 07:23 PM
there have been the occasions when i enter a normal building and I start to salute and stop myself quickly hoping noone's looking. but to people , no, only in a m.a. context not otherwise

SevenStar
09-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
When I see someone out in public I haven't run into for a while, I usually give 'em the 'upnod' whether we've studied kungfu together or not. The fist in the palm thing stays at the kwoon.

same here. I also use the standard 'downnod', however. Which one I use is dictated by the age/race of the person I'm greeting.

Chang Style Novice
09-03-2003, 08:41 PM
To me the downnod is too much like looking away or trying to avoid eye contact. I suppose the upnod could be interpreted as snooty or superior, but I don't think that's too serious a problem.

Who gets upnodded and who gets downnodded?

Starchaser107
09-03-2003, 08:47 PM
people use the down nod as default around here

Serpent
09-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Upnod an equal, downnod a superior.

This can also be applied to upnodding someone you are "cool" with and down-nodding someone that you know less formally, or respect a great deal, etc.

That's kinda the loose methodology I use.

Serpent
09-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Of course, the upnod coupled with the smirk is great for showing your derision of someone you dislike a great deal while feigning a greeting.

:)

joedoe
09-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Upnod with a smirk is a good way to deride someone, and it is even funnier if they don't realise it :D

Maoris use the upnod a lot as a greeting too.

Serpent
09-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Yeah, the Maori's use the upnod as a matter of course. They can make it look so cool too. I once saw four or five guys all meet each other. Two came from one way and two or three (I can't remember) from the other. They approached each other on the street and not a word passed between them - just a few slow and cool upnods and they all fell into step with each other and strolled off down the street together. Coolest **** thing I ever saw!

joedoe
09-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Reminds me of the joke about how Maoris answer phones - with an upnod :D

Serpent
09-03-2003, 11:29 PM
They need no words of any kind!

scotty1
09-04-2003, 05:51 AM
In my class we just say 'alright, mate?'

or perhaps, 'how are you?'

Ray Pina
09-04-2003, 05:54 AM
I salute all old and present training brothers whenever I see them -- in or out of school. I sometimes run into guys I've trained with 5 years ago and I salute them. It's the relationship we have. If we were drinking buddies I'd offer to get a drink, but it's MA that we share.

As far as degrees. The more I respect you, the higher the salute goes.

Higher up means I respect your ability (teacher, seniors, training partners), better cover up and shield.

The lower it goes the closer to my preferred fighting position, a "come on" attitude (new guys who are ****y and think they know something.)

In a tournament, I stay at about half-mast, at about my chin. I give the guy respect, we're about to fight, but not to much.

How useful is this position? I think it's everything.

black and blue
09-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Am I the only person here who give side nods?

apoweyn
09-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
just an honest mistake...only heard it called a bow.
Hence the friendly smile after the comment...

I'm just pulling your leg mate. Hence the friendly smile after the comment.

apoweyn
09-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by black and blue
Am I the only person here who give side nods?

LOL :D

TonyM.
09-04-2003, 07:47 AM
This guy on television said that white folks give a down nod with a smile and black folks give an up nod with a frown. The rest of us shake our heads like we're getting a Bronsky.:D

Ray Pina
09-04-2003, 08:13 AM
We train the salute position a lot, especially in grappling, but that shape is to be maintained at all times, both hands working together.

As far as its height, do you guys train the Party Line concept?

SevenStar
09-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
To me the downnod is too much like looking away or trying to avoid eye contact. I suppose the upnod could be interpreted as snooty or superior, but I don't think that's too serious a problem.

Who gets upnodded and who gets downnodded?

It gets complicated, but here's a breakdown:

In general, white, asian and indian males get the downnod while black and hispanic males get the upnod. However, there may be an age dileneation there, as there are plenty of younger guys who understand the upnod (I've actually had some older people ask me what the upnod was) Now, that being said, older black males will usually get the downnod also, as that's what they give me. It makes me curious as to when the upnod came into existence.

I also have a theory about the downnod - it's easier to do with a smile. have you noticed that when many people give the downnod, they give a tight lipped, non-tooth displaying smile? Well, I experimented with it, and it's much less awkward to give that smile with a downnod. the tightlip smile with an upnod just doesn't feel right. also, do a normal smile and give an upnod...gay. The upnod is usually done with a straight face, smirk or scowl.

Serpent
09-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar

also, do a normal smile and give an upnod...gay.

Ah, that made me laugh hard. It's funny because it's true.

SevenStar
09-05-2003, 08:23 AM
no doubt... it's impossible to smile while giving an upnod and feel cool while doing it!

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 08:30 AM
yes. You gotta be :cool: whilest giving the "upnod". Is for saying whatup. Downnod is usually directed at ladies, yes with a smile.
And yes... "also, do a normal smile and give an upnod...gay."
This is a most accurate statement. Unless, once again, dealing with females. Never give a full smile with the upnod tho...

Starchaser107
09-05-2003, 08:39 AM
martial application of an upnod? besides headbutting : none
martial merit : significant enough