PDA

View Full Version : what do you after?

Phenix
09-03-2003, 10:34 PM
What do you after? the original WingChunkuen or advance Martial art?

Do you know where you're going to
Do you like the things that life is showing you
Where are you going to
Do you know?

Do you get
What you're hoping for
When you look behind you
There's no open door
What are you hoping for
Do you know?

Once we were standing still in time
Chasing the fantasies
That filled our minds
(That filled our minds)
You knew how I loved you
But my spirit was free
Laughin' at the questions
That you once asked of me

Do you know where you're going to
Do you like the things that life is showing you
Where are you going to
Do you know?

John Weiland
09-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Phenix

Both. I also collect Appalachian folk art. :p

That is, by "original" do you mean the art as it's been passed on to me by way of Yip Man > Leung Sheung > Ken Chung > Ben Der? I consider the Yip Man Wing Chun Kuen line to be an advanced martial art.

Regards,

[Censored]
09-04-2003, 10:39 AM
I consider the Yip Man Wing Chun Kuen line to be an advanced martial art.

Since nobody answered me earlier, I'll ask you directly. Have you seen the Yip Man video footage? Do you emulate that as closely as possible?

Phenix
09-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by [Censored]
[i]
Since nobody answered me earlier, I'll ask you directly. Have you seen the Yip Man video footage? Do you emulate that as closely as possible?

what do you after? to become Yip Man or original of WCK or Advance Martial art?

How can one emuate Yip Man's breathing and thinking? since that was not shown in Video?

PaulH
09-04-2003, 11:10 AM
I seek the original in the modern WCK - more like a personal quest of self-knowledge or self- discovery.

"Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights.

But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge.

You would know in words that which you have always know in thought.

You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams. - K. Gilbran "

Regards,

ZIM
09-04-2003, 12:40 PM
You sell classes off the internet! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3616555093&category=16044)

TjD
09-04-2003, 12:49 PM
why would i want to be like YM? not to be arrogant or anything but i don't think anyone should limit their goals.

i want perfect wing chun. :D

yuanfen
09-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Censored asks:Have you seen the Yip Man video footage? Do you emulate that as closely as possible?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes- have seen it. "Emulation"- a very subjective word. Induction from photos and videos involve the logical problems on induction.
Incomplete context, insufficient information, camera angles and distortions, intentions(his), perceptions(mine), invisible things- breath, feeling, soft-hard ratios, micro- motions and other details.

But corroborates much about some positioning of the angle of the bong, the wrist in tan and some other structures- allowing the
aging process and health status at the time. So I am grateful for the existence of the pictures.

My sigung Ho Kam Ming spent as much one on one learning time with him as anyone- so I found seeing Master Ho's version of
Ip Man's SLT was a great treasure. My Sifu Fong who spent quality time with Master Ho also met Ip man and Ip Man has visited Master Ho's school and corrected some of his students. So direct and continuous and hands on learning from my sifu provides a great foundation. for my development. Good fortune-yuanfen.

Ip Man himself made some occasional changes in his forms.
Footnotes or gloss if you will. So sequence wise, the two clear differences in my learning are 1. the addition of the double punch and 2.in the first sections practicinga tan after the fok before the huen and wu....with good instructional reason.

Principles that have come down in the personalized teaching-
intended to be the same in the transmission.And I try to do the same in teaching sans robotics.

PaulH
09-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Hendrik,

What are you after? Ng Mui's grace for today?

Regards,

Phenix
09-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
Hendrik,

What are you after? Ng Mui's grace for today?

Regards,

After not HSu Chi, not Diaz, but the art of Chasing Hot Lady.

PaulH
09-04-2003, 02:45 PM
How do you go about the taming of this shrew? She is very feisty almost like you. Ha! Ha!

Regards,

Phenix
09-04-2003, 03:26 PM
How do you go about the taming of this shrew? She is very feisty almost like you. Ha! Ha!

Regards,

who are you talking about?
http://www.cameron-diaz.com/default.htm

she looks happy and charming.

anerlich
09-04-2003, 03:28 PM

Fewer posts like the original, i.e. accompanied by bad poetry.

PaulH
09-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Hendrik,

She's a beauty alright just like a lovely rose in the web picture! Most charming roses have thorns though, so do enjoy the view from afar and keep your fingers free and happy. Ha! Ha!

Phenix
09-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Hendrik,

She's a beauty alright just like a lovely rose in the web picture! Most charming roses have thorns though, so do enjoy the view from afar and keep your fingers free and happy. Ha! Ha!

Paul,

see, I told you it is not about after Diaz. But how to Chi Sau with Rose without getting cut.--- advance art of chi sau

yuanfen
09-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Impermanence.

Diaz had her nose broken recently in a freak surfing accident.

PaulH
09-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Hendrik,

My grandfather was a rather remarkable hypnotist. My grandma and father often told me tales of how he implanted false memories or induced the "looked at" to fall asleep at banquet tables. I guess it is a promising beginning to learn how to capture the mind the easy and fun way rather than this advanced chi sau stuffs. But I like to hear this option of yours just in case my emulated attempts of following Grandpa's footsteps ended in disasters.

Regards,

Phenix
09-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Impermanence.

and I was in the same beach and same resort with her. Believe it or not. :D

Phenix
09-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Hendrik,

My grandfather was a rather remarkable hypnotist. My grandma and father often told me tales of how he implanted false memories or induced the "looked at" to fall asleep at banquet tables. I guess it is a promising beginning to learn how to capture the mind the easy and fun way rather than this advanced chi sau stuffs. But I like to hear this option of yours just in case my emulated attempts of following Grandpa's footsteps ended in disasters.

Regards,

Hi Pual,

No one can step on the same flowing water twice not to mention two person step on the same flowing water twice.

I might be nuts. I migh be dreaming. I might be a vampire who has live across 1500 to now. I might be a satori as old as the cosmos.... hahahahaha

advance chi sau --- if one can't even grap a rose without getting piece by the thorn. then how can one disarm a person with lazor shap butterfly knive?

ok, you might say, may be one will get cut while disarming, sure why not. may be one will get piece while picking the rose, sure why not. that no longer important when the knive disarm and the rose picked.

kj
09-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Impermanence.

and I was in the same beach and same resort with her. Believe it or not. :D

I hope the freak wasn't your fault. ;)

Regards,
- kj

Phenix
09-04-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by kj

I hope the freak wasn't your fault. ;)

Regards,
- kj

sshhhhh don't tell my wife who is shopping at LV shop ;)

PaulH
09-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Hendrik,

Can you tell me more of the skills entailed in the advanced Chi Sau? Just like to compare my apples to your oranges in the Virginian spirit of "We come from a long way, baby!" Ha! Ha!

Regards,

Phenix
09-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Hendrik,

Can you tell me more of the skills entailed in the advanced Chi Sau? Just like to compare my apples to your oranges in the Virginian spirit of "We come from a long way, baby!" Ha! Ha!

Regards,

sure.

The chi sau answer can be summaries in---
how do you chi sau before your parents were born?

A serious answer, so if you are joking, don't bother spending your time to write back. if you are serious, it is wortherd even to investigate it for a life time. and "see" for yourself is it apple, orange or something else...

PaulH
09-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Beat me! I guess if you believe in reincarnation, anything is possible! Ha! Ha!

Okay I just saw your edited comment. The serious answer is I don't know. I would say that chi sau is just a natural process of development from your numerous inborn potentials. You can only be what you are. A cat is not a dog regardless how hard it tries to develop the dog's growl.

Regards,

Phenix
09-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Beat me! I guess if you believe in reincarnation, anything is possible! Ha! Ha!---P

There is nothing about reincarnation. It is a direct way to tell you what it is. But, it requires experience to "see" it.

Okay I just saw your edited comment. The serious answer is I don't know. I would say that chi sau is just a natural process of development from your numerous inborn potentials. You can only be what you are. A cat is not a dog regardless how hard it tries to develop the dog's growl. ----P

It is easy to talk about natural process... which everyone can define thier own natural.. Alots of time we don't really pay attention on what is going on but our own thoughts.....

PaulH
09-05-2003, 03:13 PM
I think you already answer this on the bodies thread. I was expecting some sort of systematic skills that anyone can learn by qualitative and dilligent efforts, but I will reconsider your new approach. Perhaps it can provide a real breakthrough in my personal development.

Thanks,

Phenix
09-05-2003, 05:19 PM
I think you already answer this on the bodies thread. I was expecting some sort of systematic skills that anyone can learn by qualitative and dilligent efforts, but I will reconsider your new approach. Perhaps it can provide a real breakthrough in my personal development.

Thanks,

Don't get me wrong on no systematic....

I can give you the answer here but it will a, stuck you in the realm of thinking instead of "know oe see it". b, people who is copy cat might use it as add in for thier marketing.

But i will give you the answer later after you seriously think about it so you know there is "thing" in my word not just abstract talk.

It is just a one step process. so we don't need the systematic.
In the old time people blind fold to do chi sau. why is that?

PaulH
09-05-2003, 05:44 PM
My old coach insisted similarly on the experiencing rather than learning about the knowledge of such experience . Blind folded chisau, in that sense, is more about feeling than thinking or analyzing. I am somewhat mixed of the approach as I see people made very slow progress if they don't make the needed connection in their training. It is something of a Zen mystery to me. Some get it and some don't. And right now my thinking is stuck in your koan. I can use a few more hints! Ha! Ha!

Phenix
09-05-2003, 05:57 PM
My old coach insisted similarly on the experiencing rather than learning about the knowledge of such experience . Blind folded chisau, in that sense, is more about feeling than thinking or analyzing. I am somewhat mixed of the approach as I see people made very slow progress if they don't make the needed connection in their training. It is something of a Zen mystery to me. Some get it and some don't. And right now my thinking is stuck in your koan. I can use a few more hints! Ha! Ha!

let it stuck to the deep and no way out and suddently when you look backward you will experience thinking is not it. but then how? such as the person stuck in the glue and trying to pull the leg out suddently realized take of the shoes and free to go home..

Phenix
09-05-2003, 05:59 PM
is more about feeling than thinking or analyzing.

wrong description, it should be "is more about AWARENESS then thinking or analyzing."

kj
09-05-2003, 06:29 PM
wrong description, it should be "is more about AWARENESS then thinking or analyzing."

Hi Hendrik. You probably know I don't get half of what you write ;) ... but this I feel I understand! :)

While we aren't all necessarily or specifically concerned about Buddhist connections, we often speak of this awareness, and frequently call upon the term "listening." ("We," in this context, referring to me and those who practice in my family-group(s), or in similar manner.)

This aspect is very important to us, and in a sense, at the heart of the matter. It is the one attribute that seems to most distinguish those who merely excel, from those who operate on an entirely higher plane. I'm not one of those (yet! ;)) ... but ah knows 'em when ah sees 'em. :cool:

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Phenix
09-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Hi KJ,

Sometimes I am affraid to bring up the word Buddhism or Chan because that can be easily mistaken:(

Lets look at this in The art of War by Sun Tzu.

--------

We can form a single united body, while the enemy must split up into fractions. Hence there will be a whole pitted against separate parts of a whole, which means that we shall be many to the enemy's few. ....

For should the enemy strengthen his van, he will weaken his rear; should he strengthen his rear, he will weaken his van; should he strengthen his left, he will weaken his right; should he strengthen his right, he will weaken his left. If he sends re inforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak.
[In Frederick the Great's INSTRUCTIONS TO HIS GENERALS we read: "A defensive war is apt to betray us into too frequent detachment. Those generals who have had but little experience attempt to protect every point, while those who are better acquainted w ith their profession, having only the capital object in view, guard against a decisive blow, and acquiesce in small misfortunes to avoid greater."]

Numerical weakness comes from having to prepare against possible attacks; numerical strength, from compelling our adversary to make these preparations against us.
[The highest generalship, in Col. Henderson's words, is "to compel the enemy to disperse his army, and then to concentrate superior force against each fraction in turn."]

-----

and awareness cost nothing since it is just aware. no muscle tense and no intention activate and no mind focus... just aware... just sing Let it be....Let it be... driving a car at 70 miles/hour is more dangerous then Chi Sau and how many stress and tense in Chi Sau while some even eating breakfast while driving? putting on make up too . hehehehe KJ ....:D

Paul,

Thus it said,
the one who "listern and the object which was "listerned" both are empty in thier characteristics.
The induction and communication then are inconciveable.....
This is real samadhi... beyond time and space and hand.....bridge...
crystal clearly living in "this moment"!

So, what is this? this is the unflettered mind. this is not abiding.. this is original mind, this is the true reality, this is buddha nature....
but then some never believe and still thinking about time, space.... ( "I" am not attacking people here. just trying to express what the teaching in Vajra sutra as it said Boddhisatva has no Me, You, race, and time )

this AWARENESS stuffs also is a differentiation of us , WCK, with White Crane from Fujian or other art of the shao lin.....

In additional,
as why the kuen kuit said " comes retain goes... using silence to subdue action..."

Lets look at Sun Tzu's art of war again.

----

Disciplined and calm, to await the appearance of disorder and hubbub amongst the enemy:--this is the art of retaining self-possession.

To be near the goal while the enemy is still far from it, to wait at ease while the enemy is toiling and struggling, to be well-fed while the enemy is famished:--this is the art of husbanding one's strength.

-----------

So, In my HUMBLE opinion, the study of Chinese Martail art history and philosophy, one has to be "penetrating" all the classical. if not it is as the chinese said " scratching itch outside the leather shoe". Thus, I never impress by those who simple qouting Dao or Sun Tzu... honestly, even studying Sun Tzu art of war. there are transmittion needed. this is because certain word has different definition. so if one just go buy some books and qoute it it doesn't work. That is even difficult when studying Kuen Kuit.... but once it locked in it will keep locked tigt.

speak of the thorn of roses. if you drop a thorn roses into a crystal clear fresh flowing spring water river, will the water differentitate what it roses or thorn or will accept the rose and thorn un differentitately? now if you are that river you will accept the roses and thorn "as it is" right?
so why not be that crystal clear fresh flowing spring water river?

kj
09-06-2003, 05:51 AM
Sometimes I am affraid to bring up the word Buddhism or Chan because that can be easily mistaken:(

No worries at all. Just offering something of my own reference framework as perspective on my other comments.

Somewhat ironically, I have been accused on occasion of having a "Zen-ish" bent. To the degree that's true (or not) it's an accident of philsophy or perspective, rather than the basis of my religious faith. Thus I don't have the background to "get" a lot of formal references or inferences (e.g., to Sutras and such). Some of the "ideas" still ring with me though, when I am able to catch the gyst.

Lets look at this in The art of War by Sun Tzu.
<snipped etc.>

Good stuff. Reading your linkings is something akin to watching the TV show "Connections." (It was a great series.)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." - John Muir

PaulH
09-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Hendrik,

My intellect tells me that this awareness has something to do with the nature of listening which you have posted previously on the bodies thread and which you confirmed again:

((Thus it said,
the one who "listern and the object which was "listerned" both are empty in thier characteristics.
The induction and communication then are inconciveable.....
This is real samadhi... beyond time and space and hand.....bridge...
crystal clearly living in "this moment"!))

The moment that I empty my listening, I will know what you talk and experience for certainty. Letting go is never easy.

Regards.

Phenix
09-06-2003, 11:53 AM

The moment that I empty my listening, I will know what you talk and experience for certainty. Letting go is never easy.

Regards.

Paul,

correction :D

The moment that I not following my THOUGHT streams but just observe , "I" know what you talk and experience for certainty. Letting go is very easy --- just accept without judgement. similar to the crystal clear fresh cold spring water river accept anything thrown into it silenetly.

why get emotional before even the water experience the rose within the "fresh cool spring water".

Strange that all human has the capabilites but loves to theoritize and to make up so called advance theory that is no longer reality.
but hold strong believe on the so called advance theory is the best because there is some formular to follow.

Thus, we like to have the world according to us. thus, we suffer. Thus, that is defined as ignorance. Thus, that is the root of samsara. Thus, it said, instead of reading all the sutras why not listern" the reality and find out yourself?

PaulH
09-06-2003, 12:04 PM
That will do too. Funny that you can't say to a streetbum something like "hey you, you can get off the street and live a normal life like the rest of us." So is it easy or hard for you or for him? The unseen struggle to overcome bad habits make letting go something of a miraculous nature.

Regards,

Phenix
09-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Funny that you can't say to a streetbum something like "hey you, you can get off the street and live a normal life like the rest of us." ---P

If the streetbum doesnt believe that there is better life beside the one he lives and he can do better. Nothing is going to change. even if you give him 10 million bugs or point gun at his head. since there is no meaning for him to change...

So is it easy or hard for you or for him? ---P

The crystal clean fresh cool spring water river can accept a billionair or a hobo take a shower in it and still crystal clean fresh cool . who hard? who easy?

The unseen struggle to overcome bad habits make letting go something of a miraculous nature.---P

There is no good or bad habits judgement for a crystal clean fresh cool spring water river. it's refection just show who and what it is..... without judgement according to "I" what to keep what to let go? the The crystal clean fresh cool spring water river always flows and flows...

Thus, there is where the satori comes in.
once get there never turn back.

yuanfen
09-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Hendrik sez:
So, In my HUMBLE opinion, the study of Chinese Martail art history and philosophy, one has to be "penetrating" all the classical. if not it is as the chinese said " scratching itch outside the leather shoe".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((Good point. "Linking" - relevant history, kuen kuit and one's practice- not easy, dogma doesnt do it-but if properly made-
it's an enrichment.)) joy

Phenix
09-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Hendrik sez:
So, In my HUMBLE opinion, the study of Chinese Martail art history and philosophy, one has to be "penetrating" all the classical. if not it is as the chinese said " scratching itch outside the leather shoe".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((Good point. "Linking" - relevant history, kuen kuit and one's practice- not easy, dogma doesnt do it-but if properly made-
it's an enrichment.)) joy

Joy, and the crystal clear cool fresh spring water river flows...Not stuck in some dying artificial creek with man make path...

PaulH
09-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Good points, Hendrik! This is what grace is all about - undeserved mercy and free goodness to the chief of sinners.

Regards,

kj
09-06-2003, 12:55 PM
This is what grace is all about ...

Indeed. :) And so everything continues, and in full circles. Connections are everywhere.

As before, "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." - John Muir

Regards,
- kj

PaulH
09-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Kathy,

We know for certainty that at the atomic level, all particles can behave like wave strings as well. Similar to radio waves propagating to the end corners of the universe, our world is composed of interexchanging waves. Now if I am gifted with telepathy, I think I should be able to read Hendrik's mind waves right now. Ha! Ha!

Regards,

kj
09-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Now if I am gifted with telepathy, I think I should be able to read Hendrik's mind waves right now. Ha! Ha!

Perhaps mine too. :eek::D
- kj