PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Forearms

Serpent
09-03-2003, 10:45 PM
This was posted on Cyberkwoon and struck me as very interesting. So here it is on KFO as my kung fu related topic as per fa_jing's request!

The old legend about picking up the boiling cauldron at the Shaolin Temple is based in a certain cultural truth. The idea was that the practitioner would get the scarred imprints on their forearms of a dragon on one side and a tiger on the other, proof they had graduated the temple.

Does anyone have any idea which arm would bear which animal? And why? I know that there are many aspects to the directins and dualities of things like this. Any suggestions?

I thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Serpent
09-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Bloody hell. A topic with Shaolin in the title, addressing issues of kung fu and Chinese culture and not one bugger replies?

I suppose if I'd have included a story about a Shaolin-Do practitioner blowing his buttocks off with a flaming chicken you'd be all over it.

CrippledAvenger
09-03-2003, 11:25 PM
I always thought this was a myth. :confused: Anyone have any evidence to the contrary?

Serpent
09-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Oh, I'm sure it is a myth, but the idea is based in cultural roots. The dragon and the tiger being the personifications of yin and yang, etc. Which arm would be which in that respect is part of the question, also, what more can people say about the significance of the animals and their locations, etc.

MasterKiller
09-04-2003, 06:15 AM
This has been discussed in the Shaolin forum many times. It's a myth, perpetuated by the Kung Fu TV series. There is no evidence to support it, and no one is even sure which arm had the tiger and which had the dragon.

Some people even say that the O-Mei Temple used Mantis and Crane instead of the Tiger and Dragon symbols, which were supposedly used by Fukien, Honan, Wudan, and Kwangtung.

Laughing Cow
09-04-2003, 06:18 AM
It's not just the Kung Fu series that used it there are also Chinese movies that had it in it.

Not sure which one used it first though, atleast one of the Jackie Chan movies also uses it.

themeecer
09-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Bloody hell. A topic with Shaolin in the title, addressing issues of kung fu and Chinese culture and not one bugger replies?

I suppose if I'd have included a story about a Shaolin-Do practitioner blowing his buttocks off with a flaming chicken you'd be all over it.
Here let me help out. All SD students are required to recieve these markings upon hitting 5th degree. You have your choice of animals and location. These markings are the only true sign that you are a practitioner of Shaolin.

Better? :D

Fu-Pow
09-04-2003, 11:00 AM
I imagine that Dragon (Yin) would go left and Tiger (Yang) on the right .Most people are right handed so they block left, hit right.

Also in Feng Shui they talk about the "Dragon" being on the left and "Tiger" on the right.

And also, in Zen meditation Mudra the left hand goes on the inside of the right as a symbol of "receptivity" ie Yin on the inside.

That's my guess based on what I know of Chinese culture.

As to whether or not this legend is true or not it is hard to say.

I would think that scalding the inside of your forearms might be a bad idea because there are all kinds of important nerves and blood vessels under there.

I would think it could potentially kill you.

Are you thinking about getting some Tatoos like that or what?

mantis108
09-04-2003, 11:59 AM
Yes, as the legend goes, the markings were made by removing a 3 legged Cauldron (Da Ding) filled with hot coals and blocking the exit of the Wooden Dummy corridor. That's the final test before "leaving the mountain".

That's the proper way out of the temple supposedly. The other way is through the doggie hole on the side wall of the temple. But that's just legend.

There was a great deal of symbolism behind this legend. Removing the cauldron, which symbolized the reigning Manchurian, was supposedly the top pirority of Shaolin patriots. If you don't graduate with the intent of being a national hero, then you should be a dog or a hawk living amongst the Qing oppressers. In other words you are taking an oath with an action. The markings are the reminder. So...

BTW, you don't have a chocie of animals nor do you have a choice of were to put it. It is left inner forearm for dragon and right inner forearm for tiger. Also, this also related to the Hung Gar salute - the infamous - left dragon right tiger emerge.

Mantis108

neit
09-04-2003, 12:16 PM
yes i know that salute

themeecer
09-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by mantis108
BTW, you don't have a chocie of animals nor do you have a choice of were to put it. It is left inner forearm for dragon and right inner forearm for tiger
You do know my post above was a joke?

Judge Pen
09-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by themeecer

You do know my post above was a joke?

People just take you too seriously. ;)

Chang Style Novice
09-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I have a manatee branded on my left forearm and a banana slug facing it on the right.

MasterKiller
09-04-2003, 12:32 PM
CSN,

You must have studied at the Tookien Temple. You're a TKF'er in disguise!

norther practitioner
09-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Bannana slug style, what MK practices on Saturdays during the games...:)

Chang Style Novice
09-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Banana Slug (http://www.humboldtredwoods.org/images/bananaslug1.jpg)
Manatee (http://www.repamerica.org/fl/manatee.jpg)

txwingchun
09-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

He might be a SD practicioner and it wasn't a flaming chicken but he did manage to blow his as s off.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/03/1062548893255.html

Serpent
09-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that story came up a few days ago - that's sorta why that scenario came to mind I guess.

Shaolin Dude
09-04-2003, 11:10 PM
if the part of your arm between elbow and wrist is called forearm, then what's that name of the part from shoulder to elbow?

Serpent
09-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Upper arm usually.