PDA

View Full Version : Good Seattle kids class for my nephew?

Stacey
09-04-2003, 01:53 PM
My nephew wants to learn kung fu. He's 8 years old and lives in the Seattle area. Who has a strong kids program with strong basic kung fu? Style vs. style is irrelevent, I'm just looking to get him into something fun that will give him a good base. Any ideas?

Fu-Pow
09-04-2003, 03:13 PM
www.makskungfu.com

rubthebuddha
09-04-2003, 03:44 PM
screw you, fu-pow. :p

stacey -- what city does he live in? "seattle area" for most folks not from washington is pretty much the whole state.

"in which state do you live?"
"washington."
"oh. do you like all the politics there?"
"you asked for state, i said washington."
"oh. gotcha. how do you like living in seattle?"
"don't know. i live in spokane."
"ah. is that a small suburb of seattle?"
"no. it's 280 miles east."
"oh, is it a small town?"
"200,000."
"hm. are you sure it's not by seattle?"
[thorough beating]

[/thorough beating]

mind you, i'm not in spokane (i live right on the coast and near the canadian border), but that's the way most people not in the pnw think of washington.

and yes, walla walla, washington (http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=M7tNO.p_0TqT&csz=walla+walla%2C+wa&country=us) does exist.

fragbot
09-04-2003, 03:46 PM
There are at least 3 judo places in the area that do well with kids--Seattle Dojo (just off Jackson), Bert Mackey's place (a coupla blocks off Rainier near the ID), and the USJudo place in Renton (I've been told this guy's daughter is amazing; besides being a fantastic judoka, she also took her weightclass at the wrestling state tournament).

IIRC, the vovinam people (or viet vo dao; it's kung fu with Vietnamese trappings) teach scads of kids at the Filipino Community Center on Martin Luther King.

If they're in the south end, Michael Li teaches contemporary wushu in Kent. I've never seen his kids perform, but I've been told they're pretty amazing to watch.

If they live up north or on the eastside, I don't really have any good suggestions.

==================================

a short hijack:

Why is it judo schools go begging for kids while TKD schools are pretty much always filled with munchkins?

Observations:

1) most people, myself included, would rather eat pie than broccoli.

2) day cares need consistent and expansive hours. Non-profits come up short in this department.

Stacey
09-04-2003, 07:23 PM
thanks everyone. As for the viet fu....I won't mention it....He's middle class and polite, I don't want him within 5 miles of a "Martin Luther King Bullevard" No matter where you are in the country, people get shot there.

you could set up a MLKBullevard in Bhutan and somebody's gonna get capped.

Fu Pow's Choy Li Fut site, looks the best out of all I've been looking for. I'll suggest that. Looks like a great place to learn and pretty cheap to learn from a Master.

PHILBERT
09-04-2003, 08:40 PM
rtb, I get people who find out I am from Texas asking what I have named my longhorn and other farm animals. I'm thinking of taking a photo of me with a longhorn (even though I have never even seen one) and saying it is my pet.

fragbot
09-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Stacey
thanks everyone. As for the viet fu....I won't mention it....He's middle class and polite, I don't want him within 5 miles of a "Martin Luther King Bullevard" No matter where you are in the country, people get shot there.

you could set up a MLKBullevard in Bhutan and somebody's gonna get capped.

That's cold. Y'all sound like Ken Hamblin.

Anyhow, excepting the area under I-5 called the jungle, there's not anwhere in Seattle that's scary. For over 5 years, my wife and I lived about 2 miles from that cultural center. Nothin' to worry about at all.

Fu Pow's Choy Li Fut site, looks the best out of all I've been looking for. I'll suggest that. Looks like a great place to learn and pretty cheap to learn from a Master.

At the risk of getting a grumble out of one of my compadres on this forum, anyone know if John Leong's place trains kids?

Golden Arms
09-05-2003, 12:19 PM
"Grumble"

;) Dont know if my opinion counts.

rubthebuddha
09-05-2003, 12:56 PM
golden arms: nope, but you should share anyway, just so you can feel included. ;)

fragbot's right -- seattle's pretty harmless. it's mukilteo you gotta watch out for. :D

now, i'll take advantage of this opportunity to plug the bestest burger joint in the state. (http://www.ddir.com)

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 01:25 PM
"No matter where you are in the country, people get shot there."

Stacey said it before I could... Nothin good ever goes down on MLK.

Awww.... No SD schools in WA area for me to link to. (I know its stacey's favorite)
:D

rubthebuddha
09-05-2003, 01:35 PM
aye, but there's five chung moo doe schools in king county, three of them in seattle proper. lucky washington. :rolleyes: