PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Strength through the fight

zen_celt
09-04-2003, 09:18 PM
What kind of training program would you guys reccomend to build muscular strength and endurance in such a way as to maintain a consistent level of strength throughout a workout/fight?
For instance, in PTP, we have a workout that will increse you 1RM a bunch, but you cannot maintain that level of strength/power for the 30 min say that a kickboxing or grappling match may last.
In the 100+ push up program you do build muscular endurance and some strength but that strength is nothing compared to the strength gained from PTP. So, what do you suggest?
I personally have found results using the classic 5-4-3-2-1 adding 10-20lbs each lift.
-ZC

Ford Prefect
09-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Honestly, the best stuff I've seen and tried for athletic strength-endurance, power, and speed is John Davies' stuff. You definately have to ease into it or have a good base. I got the worst case of shin splints I ever had in my life from going to hard on his program. I thought I had a stress- fracture!

http://www.renegadetraining.com

lowsweep
09-05-2003, 03:33 PM
I second John Davies. Renegade style is harcore. Try it, but go a little easy at first...just a little though...

Lung Hu Pai
09-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Ford and Lowsweep are correct!!

Golden Arms
09-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Cheap and easy, yet non glamourous way: Get your ass on a heavy bag, and work it as hard as you can, at least 3 minute rounds, as many as you can go before you fall over...repeat at least every other day, and push yourself until you are almost sick. Its a great form of HIIT and you will be forced to figure out the correct breathing for fighting as well. If you get up to say, 12 rounds, with less than 30 sec rest between them, and you can still move pretty good, then a normal match is going to be an afterthought :) Just my $.02 though...

Shaolin-Do
09-09-2003, 10:34 PM
My heavy bags have been down for almost a month, and when I tried hitting them again, I realized that I now hit like a b!tch. amazing how much power I lost in one month of no rounds on the heavy bag....
Gotta say thats an integral part of the training regimen.
Must say Golden arms is correct.