PDA

View Full Version : Where are you now?

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Where are you now compared to when you started training? If this isnt your peak, when was, and why? Have your goals and training orientation changed since you began training? How many hours a week on average do you train now? When you started?
Just trying to get some good kung fu talk goin...

MasterKiller
09-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Where are you now compared to when you started training? further down the road.

If this isnt your peak, when was, and why?Haven't peaked yet, I hope. Once you peak, the only place to go is down.

Have your goals and training orientation changed since you began training?Initially, I wanted to tone up and gain flexibility. Once I accomplished that, my focus changed toward more fluid movement. Once I accomplished that, I started working on precise techniques....I'm still working on that one, and the others as well to some degree.

How many hours a week on average do you train now? When you started? For the last year, I've been training about 12 hours a week. When it gets colder and my lawn work is gone, I'll add a couple of more hours a week. That includes stretching time, jumping rope time, and regular work outs.

I used to train about 18 hours/week, but about a year ago I cut back because I was getting run down, my knees hurt sometimes, and because the woman wanted some more quality time.

When I started, I was in bad shape from sitting behind a desk for 3 years with no exercise. So, I really had a lot to overcome in the beginning. I dropped 50 lbs in the first 18 months, but it took 3 years before I could put my forhead on my knees.

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 09:15 AM
"where are you now compared to when you started"
Significantly more educated, much more open minded to the MA.

"Haven't peaked yet, I hope. Once you peak, the only place to go is down."

Correct, but It was meant to be a more broad statement... Should say has your training peaked yet. im still on my way. :)

"Have your goals and training orientation changed since you began training?"

Started cause I was horribly out of shape, and after going a couple rounds with my heavy bag one night, realized my fighting skills had diminished to d!ck. Now I train to stay in shape, and because I really enjoy doing it. Also like knowin how to whoop @ss. :)

"How many hours a week on average do you train now? When you started?"

I started training only a couple hours a week... After a few weeks upped it some more... Currently train 15-20 hours a week, try to push in more if possible. Really busy weeks Ill only get in 10 hours, but I hate that.

yenhoi
09-05-2003, 10:11 AM
I doubt my training has peaked, Ive only been at it for a few years.

I can kick alot more ass now then when I started.

Goals and orientation have changed much overall. Week to week they seem to change sometimes. much less now then before.

In the beggining, it was a few hours a week, like maybe 6 or 9, now its like, 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, sometimes less, occasionally more due to competitions or seminars or other extra random stuff.

Yep.

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 11:30 AM
I just thought you all should know, If you have read this and not posted a reply, you suck.
:mad:

CaptinPickAxe
09-05-2003, 11:48 AM
I'm in physically better shape now. And I can defend myself quite well, but I have far to go.

Tomarrow...I get to begin Iron Palm again. I have the hands of a sissified northerner.:D

neit
09-05-2003, 11:49 AM
i am not that far from where i started. i am still seaching for the "right style" for me, the one that i will study for a lifetime. from trying differnet styles i have developed solid basics, but not much else. the longest i have trained in one place is 3 years of tkd, otherwise my training has been somewhat sporadic. i am hoping my pickiness will pay off eventually.

BentMonk
09-05-2003, 12:00 PM
I started weight lifting a year before I started MA. I was in pathetic shape. I started out w/50lbs. on the bar, and got winded quick. The first few classes of MA kicked my bent azz. Still, I knew what I wanted from the training, and trudged along. Nine years later, I'm 160lbs w/very little fat, fair endurance, and can keep from getting my azz whooped, even if I don't neccessarily whoop azz. The closest I've came to a peak is June of '99. That's right before I tested for black, and was eating, sleeping, and breathing MA. There was a very brief burn out period right after that, and life threw me some curves, but I didn't lose much ground. Now, I'm a full-time college student w/time to train. So I'm loving life. I know I'll always be a work in progress. Good thread SD. Peace. :cool:

SaMantis
09-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Well Shaolin-Do, I'd better answer so's I don't suck.

1. Way above where I was when I started, much more leg strength, stamina, and power. And flexibility.

2. Still not anywhere near the peak I want to reach. Stuff that's easy for some folks is difficult for me (splits, iron bridge, tabletop stances, sweeps). But I register some progress every month, even if it's tiny.

3. Goals haven't changed. training orientation focuses more on rest & recovery periods in between training (getting the most out of R&R, if possible).

4. Only about 7-8 hours a week now. When I started it was about the same, except shorter classes; last 2 years trained 10-18 hours/week, now have less time to do so.

Truthfully, I'm on the DL this month with a back injury and letting a foot injury from this spring heal fully, very frustrating but necessary.

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 12:45 PM
"getting the most out of R&R"

Could you elaborate on this please?

SaMantis
09-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi SD,

Rest & recovery. The period between training sessions (both class & training at home). I've been paying more attention to how sore I am after training, when soreness starts/how long it lasts; any gain/loss of flexibility between training periods. Then I work out why these occur & how to minimize muscle soreness/ weakness/ lack of flexibility. (rest)

Nothing scientific, I just try to follow basic recovery guidelines, i.e. rehydrate, don't repeat the same exercises every day (alternate aerobic/anaerobic exercise, for example) and take it easy after a tough training session. I also note how long it takes before I can train at the same level as the last tough session. (recovery)

Also continually repeat to myself, "I am no longer 19 years old." So I don't try to train like I'm 19 again.

Liokault
09-05-2003, 12:56 PM
I peaked....I hope to peak again in late october......the point i'm at now is fatter and balder.......but richer.

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 12:58 PM
"the point i'm at now is fatter and balder.......but richer."
Gettin old eh?
:)

"I am no longer 19 years old." So I don't try to train like I'm 19 again."

Im 19. :)

Liokault
09-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Gettin old eh?

Hey I'm only 30

Fatter cos I moved in with my North american girlfriend who eats like a steriotypical northamerican (Had to go with her to the shop last night so she could buy cake and chocolate.....that was the first and last day of her diet).

Balder cos of my dad grrrrr.:( :( :(

But richer cos I just cashed my house in as I have not lived in it in ages since I moved in with my girl. Now I have like 5 years worth of wages in my current account LOL:D .

David Jamieson
09-05-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm in Toronto.

Because of continued practice, I am better at martial arts than when I first began.

cheers

Starchaser107
every day is a whole 'nother journey

Shaolin-Do
Good deal :)
Nah, 30 aint THAT old... :eek:

Eating like an american... I live in san antonio... A giant colony of obese people.

BentMonk
09-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Watch it there SD. I'm 34 and feel and move better than I did at 24. :D You comin' to Lexington on the 20th?

Shaolin-Do
09-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Should be... Not sure quite yet however.

Vash
09-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Well, so far I think I peeked back in February. Was in perfect shape: knees were better, no Physical Therapy. Shoulders were 100%. Hell, my abs had vascularity around my belly button. I was a finely-tune asletic mase-ine. Then I tested for Black Belt. And, for political reasons, I was not awarded my full sho dan, and instead had to wait three days to find out I got Sho Dan Ho.

Oh Yeah, broke a ****ing rib at the test. And due to my stupidity, it has yet to heal.

I PROMISE, I DON'T ***** THIS MUCH WHEN I'M WORKING OUT.

Only 1/2 this much.

Peace and Love!

maccajim
09-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Alomst a year of training with a new master didn't realise how far I have come. Have started some iron body stuff sought of concentrating core tendons and muscles so don't get hurt when hit.
Been doing it for a few months but the other day realised how far have gone, when im practicing an excersise, my master comes up behind me starts hitting different parts of my back shoulders legs with fully closed fist, hardly even feel it, though was pretty sore the next day but no bruising.

i know if he did that a few months ago i would have been covered in bruises probably would have lost my balance as well.
I rember when i started seeing someone withstand getting hit by plank wood and full on power punches, thinking i'll never be able to do that.

Radhnoti
09-07-2003, 08:14 AM
I'm 30.
In my early 20's I studied aikido, ran a lot and lifted weights. I was in my peak physical condition, but couldn't fight.
In my mid-20's I studied jujitsu/judo and shorin-ryu karate. I was still in good physical condition, and was just learning to fight. That is to say, I could fight in one range pretty well.
6 months ago I was doing forms every day...a lot of them...in preparation for my test to black. My physical condition was moderate/good, and I felt confident in my fighting.

Today, I guess I'm in a "burn out period" like Bent Monk mentioned. I know I'm slipping, but it's like "Now...what was I doing this for again?" I go to the kwoon and don't feel as though I'm improving...my concentration is shot when I'm there. I still feel a tight connection to everyone there, but it's kind of depressing to go when you see others moving with a purpose and you're just spinning your wheels.
I'm seriously considering laying off to just once a week and trying to ignite my training by taking a different path. Maybe really get serious about running again?
I dunno...I've got to do something to get into shape again. Feel pretty messed up overall for "where I am now".
Depressed enough now? :o

By the way maccajim, I think that your quote was made famous by Jesse Ventura in the first Predator...not Arny.

ZIM
09-07-2003, 08:41 AM
I suck anyways, but I'll still answer..

At 37 and no previous experience with kung fu to speak of aloud-ly or proudly, I'm pleased to observe some decent progress that I didn't really think I could achieve [so, I can hold my own vs. skilled opponents larger than me- not necessarily winning, but at least surviving LOL].

That surprised me, and I'm in somewhat better shape now, so the goals are being reviewed- do I want to make this a lifestyle, and if so, how? I never wanted to teach [and still don't care to] so adherence to particular orthodoxies doesn't necessarily make sense. It's all for me and my life, you see.

Currently, I'm investigating other schools while maintaining the practices I know. Sure is a lot of different teaching styles, different group cultures [for lack of a better term]. A fun world I've stepped into [& still wiping my shoes]. My biggest difficulty currently in that is separating what I know from what is presented, if it is very different- that is, not judging the other art harshly becoz the art I'm familiar with could do XYZ...

BentMonk
09-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Rad - First off, congrats on getting Black. The feelings you expressed are exactly the same as I had in my "burn out" period. It will pass. I actually took a complete break from MA for about a month after I tested for black. I worked out w/friends who weren't into MA. It was nice just to do mindless reps for a while. Going to a regular gym w/them for a while gave my head a break. Upon my return to the kwoon I was fired up again. Peace & Happy Training. :cool:

Radhnoti
09-08-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks B.M.

I'm too wrapped up in the day to day of our kwoon to step completely away...but maybe a step back is do-able. :)
Take care.

Shaolin-Do
09-08-2003, 12:26 PM
"kwoon and don't feel as though I'm improving...my concentration is shot when I'm there"

I know exactly how you feel. I was the same way a month or so ago... I had been training very hard for several months, then one day my training just felt empty... I still dont know why, and honestly, I dont know why the feelings changed. I stepped back from working out for 2 weeks, just relaxing and doing my daily iron palm routines. 2 weeks ago, I started SC. The full contact fighting was a wonderful change of pace... That may be the barrier breaker. I went back to SD feeling like I was getting more out of it... the lower contact sparring was teaching me moves... but not giving me ability to apply them against a resisting opponent. Im not saying that looking into another art will fix it... God knows SD has a big enough curriculum. Just try a few new workouts... Maybe up the sparring intensity... You said you enjoyed running, so give it a shot. Let us know how things go :)

txwingchun
09-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Let's see I don't suck as bad as I did a year ago. I haven't reached my peak and I can almost say I've moved from completely inept to a sloppy beginner. But that's my fault, I need to increase my training time. Right now I'm only training 10-12hrs a week.

Ray Pina
09-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Right now I'm healing an injury so my focus is more on the three connections: hand and foot, elbow and knee, hip and shoulder. Training my mechanics and internal.

Overall, my master has refined my technique and has made it much more powerful and disciplined. I'm feeling good about where I am, can see where it's heading. Would also like to begin some serious weapons training this winter

apoweyn
09-10-2003, 05:55 AM
Well, I'm 32 now. I was watching a tape of my black belt test recently. And I was floored by how sorry I looked, quite frankly. Granted, the test was long and arduous. And the stuff I was watching was from later in the test, when I was tired.

But that wasn't really the problem. I was in much better shape than I am at the moment. (I was in college. Two hours of work a day followed by nothing but practicing and goofing off.) But I was far less refined than now. Less intent too.

That's one of the ironies. As you get older, you (hopefully) get smarter. But you have to work harder to maintain the same level of physicality. (Not a bad thing in and of itself.) So tactically, I think I'm worlds above where I was 10 years ago. Nevermind 19 years ago, when I was a newbie. But physically, I've got some serious work to do to get back on track.

Stuart B.

scotty1
09-10-2003, 06:39 AM
"Where are you now compared to when you started training?"

Bigger, stronger, fitter, healthier, more confident, more aware, less naive. I can also hit a bit harder as well.

"If this isnt your peak, when was, and why?"

All things considered, this is my peak, even though I'm just starting out in my current art. I suppose I was fitter when I was doing kickboxing as I ran a lot and did more cardio in class.

"Have your goals and training orientation changed since you began training?"

Not really. I've always wanted to have fun, increase my abillity to defend myself and look better.

"How many hours a week on average do you train now?"

About 6.5 hrs. Sometimes more or less. Nothing major. I've realised that MA is an addition to my life, not the reason for it. Although, I would like to add a couple more hours to that total.

When you started?

Probably more. I didn't understand the value of rest days!!

"Just trying to get some good kung fu talk goin..." Nice one.

:)

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Good to see 2 of my threads up top :D

Anyhoo, Ive upped my training in the past 2 weeks... Probably hitting near 14-16 hours avg per week now... Would like to up it even more, but rest periods are like sleeping on a cloud.... :)

scotty1
09-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Don't you guys have girlfriends or something? How do you manage to get in so much practice? I suppose I could fit in a few more hours, but I don't know how you can do so much...

Ray Pina
09-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Quality is more important that quantity.

I'd rather work the three connections for 20 minutes, than run, do push ups, sit ups and 300 front, round, side kicks.

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 10:52 AM
You gotta settle for occasional weekday @ss.
Monday - Work, monday start helping teach kids SD, SC, come home and do iron palm and weights
Tuesday - College, Work, SD, come home for iron palm and cardio/bagwork
Wednesday-Work, SD, Iron palm, weights
Thursday- College, work, occasional BJJ, SC, Iron palm, Bagwork/cardio
Friday- Work, occasional sparring, drink.(ass getting night)
Sat/Sun- Drink, get stoned, relax.(ass getting night(s))
:D

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 10:53 AM
"Quality is more important that quantity.

I'd rather work the three connections for 20 minutes, than run, do push ups, sit ups and 300 front, round, side kicks."

Thats why you have different schedules for different days :)

Judge Pen
09-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Radhnoti
I'm 30.
In my early 20's I studied aikido, ran a lot and lifted weights. I was in my peak physical condition, but couldn't fight.
In my mid-20's I studied jujitsu/judo and shorin-ryu karate. I was still in good physical condition, and was just learning to fight. That is to say, I could fight in one range pretty well.
6 months ago I was doing forms every day...a lot of them...in preparation for my test to black. My physical condition was moderate/good, and I felt confident in my fighting.

Today, I guess I'm in a "burn out period" like Bent Monk mentioned. I know I'm slipping, but it's like "Now...what was I doing this for again?" I go to the kwoon and don't feel as though I'm improving...my concentration is shot when I'm there. I still feel a tight connection to everyone there, but it's kind of depressing to go when you see others moving with a purpose and you're just spinning your wheels.
I'm seriously considering laying off to just once a week and trying to ignite my training by taking a different path. Maybe really get serious about running again?
I dunno...I've got to do something to get into shape again. Feel pretty messed up overall for "where I am now".
Depressed enough now? :o

By the way maccajim, I think that your quote was made famous by Jesse Ventura in the first Predator...not Arny.

Hey Rad,

I went through this a long time ago. Took about 4 years off and came back under a new teacher in a new state with a renewed sense of purpose. I regret the time I took off as it seems like I wasted some good time while I was in my peak years, but maybe I wouldn't have the enthusiasm I have now but for the break.

We all get into ruts and its difficult to break out of them sometimes. I hope you find a way out of yours. I'd hate to loose an occasional sparring partner! ;)