PDA

View Full Version : Seeking knowledge and opinions

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Greetings fellow artists of both internal and external forms:

I am new to this forum and, like many of you, have a great interest in martial arts, though I've not been able to practice them much due to various aspects of life. However, I now have the time and drive to learn a martial art and am currently conducting research on various forms. One form I am interested in is Haipkido, and please forgive me if I have misspelled this. I do not like butchering names. In general, I am interested in martial arts forms that have a system of circular arm and hand movements that contain palm strikes, shoulder strikes and elbow strikes. For defense, I am in search of a system that utilizes various locks as well. In terms of kicking, I would like to learn to utilize kicks that are not only effective in real combat, but also enable me to enter, trap, counter and parry effectively.

I would like anyone to offer their opinion on what they believe to be a good martial arts form that provides these aspects. Please feel free to be completely honest. I am looking for an art that is less aesthetically pleasing and more effective in "real world" situations. One important aspect I am in search of is Fa-Jing. From what I have learned and observed, Fa-Jing is quite effective if used properly. The release of energy makes for an effective strike and I definitely want to learn this aspect. I thank you all for your time and appreciate any and all response. Peace unto you all :-)

Searing Palm

BAI HE
09-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Xingyi. Direct and powerful.

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 02:33 PM
BAI HE:

Thank you for the very direct response lol Xingyi I'm not familiar with but I shall research this further. Peace :-)

Searing Palm

Merryprankster
09-06-2003, 04:18 AM
****! You're in Alameda? In East Bay, near SF?

Dude, you're right near one of the best San Shou schools in the U.S. They also teach a couple of Kung Fu styles so you'll know you're getting a fighter's perspective on a traditional art--not namby-pamby slap games and goofy semi-chinese dancing.

Searing Palm
09-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Greetings :)

I shall definitely try to speak with some teachers at that school and have a demonstration of how the various styles they teach are applied to real combat. Thanks again for the information. Peace

Searing Palm

Merryprankster
09-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Here.

http://www.kungfu.net/

You don't need to ask for a demonstration... just ask for a tape of their San Shou fights! :D

In all seriousness, they know what it takes to make a fighter. I suspect you'll be fine no matter what style you choose there.

Searing Palm
09-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Hello again MerryPrankster:

I shall connect to the link you've sent and see what information I'm able to obtain. I appreciate all of your help and hope you have a great day. Peace :)

Searing Palm