PDA

View Full Version : Seeking knowledge and opinions

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Greetings fellow artists of both internal and external forms:

I am new to this forum and, like many of you, have a great interest in martial arts, though I've not been able to practice them much due to various aspects of life. However, I now have the time and drive to learn a martial art and am currently conducting research on various forms. One form I am interested in is Haipkido, and please forgive me if I have misspelled this. I do not like butchering names. In general, I am interested in martial arts forms that have a system of circular arm and hand movements that contain palm strikes, shoulder strikes and elbow strikes. For defense, I am in search of a system that utilizes various locks as well. In terms of kicking, I would like to learn to utilize kicks that are not only effective in real combat, but also enable me to enter, trap, counter and parry effectively.

I would like anyone to offer their opinion on what they believe to be a good martial arts form that provides these aspects. Please feel free to be completely honest. I am looking for an art that is less aesthetically pleasing and more effective in "real world" situations. One important aspect I am in search of is Fa-Jing. From what I have learned and observed, Fa-Jing is quite effective if used properly. The release of energy makes for an effective strike and I definitely want to learn this aspect. I thank you all for your time and appreciate any and all response. Peace unto you all :-)

Searing Palm

liangZhiCheng
09-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Hi Searing Palm

I believe Tai Ji Chuan provides these aspects, and more specifically, Wu Style, which is what I train and am most familiar with. Wu style has palm, shoulder, and elbow strikes, though you are suppose to be able to strike with any part of the body. It definitely uses locks, and kicks are not above the waist.

Finding actual Tai Ji can be a problem, due to the number of new age Tai Ji and Tai Ji for only health and meditation teachers out there. Furthermore, a traditional teacher will not teach you any real martial applications and Fa-jing until you have a good handle of the basics and shown that you have the character to handle the power responsibly. If you are looking for something to learn quickly, Tai Ji is not it.

Well, that's it for now, you can visit the official Wu Style site at www.wustyle.com (http://wustyle.com) , feel free to ask questions. I will answer to the best of my limited knowledge. Good luck in your seach.

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Hello liangZhiCheng:

I thank you for your insight. I am not at all familiar with Wu style Tai Ji Chuan. I'm not particularly looking for anything to learn very quickly though, say after a few months, I would like to be able to utilize some basics in self-defense situations in the "real world" just in case something occurred. You raise a good point about having the character to handle the power responsibility. I shall definitely research Wu style Tai Ji Chuan. I thank you again and shall inspect the link you've sent. Peace :-)

Searing Palm

gazza99
09-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Hello,

Welcome to the forum, please note that people giving you advise here may be just as inexperienced as yourself, or they may be instructors in their own arts, either way they may have their own bias to overcome. So remain objective at all times, and rely on your judgment in the end.
That being said what art you wish to study is determined by many things, you have listed a few requirments and ill give you the best reccommendation based on that. Keep in mind besides what you want out of the art, you need to determine the timeline you are looking at. For example I would reccomend a totally different art for someone wishing to train for a year and stop, than I would for someone who wants to train for a decade or more.
You mentioned fa-jing, fa-jing is a term mostly used by the Neijia or internal chinese martial arts, the main three are taijiquan (tai chi chuan), Xing-chuan (hsing-I), and bagauzhang (pa-kua), all three will meet all of your requirements (plus many more you are unable to think of yet) providing you find a decent teacher, but note it seems more tai chi chuan teachers focus more on health than combat, and cannot provide a good balence.
Should you wish to train for a lesser amount of time (6months to 2 years) than the Neijia arts would require for combat skill, I would suggest Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, krav Maga, Kali, boxing/MMA.
Based on your preferences I would avoid all TKD schools, and any Karate school, as they tend to not be very fluid, or circular.

good luck,

Gary R.

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Gary:

Thank you for the welcome to the forum and also bringing about good ideals and apects to consider. I am looking to train for some years and thus far, Baguazhang, Baji and Hapkido are atop my list though there are many more styles for me to research before I reach a decision. Eagle Claw, Northern Mantis, Northern Shaolin, Hsing-I and many others are unknown to me or little known so I shall conduct careful research. I will take your advice into consideration fully while conducting my research. Peace :)

Searing Palm

gazza99
09-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Hello,
Good list, Looking at what your goals are I would first eliminate Hapkido, and Northern Shaolin from your list, then be sure to visit all the schools, even ask to take a free class, but DONT sign any contracts until you have seen every school of interest in the area.

For example, I recently had a guy sign a year contract with another school, only to run into me at the MA supply store a week later, I blew his mind with some stuff and he wants to take my class now (I dont even have contracts) I told him to either get out of his contract, or wait until its up, his other school will be teaching him too many bad habits, and therefore me training him would be counterproductive, if it was another art (not Goju Karate) It might blend better, for example I have students who also take some groundfighting elsewhere with no detrement.

Anyhow sorry to digress so much, the moral is just dont EVER stop looking, no matter how great something may be at the moment. Even when you get 10 plus years in an art(s), the same still applies, I still check out new schools that pop up here, and Ive been teaching a few years. I usually just make new friends or often times new students, but one day I just might find another great teacher!

regards,
Gary R.

Searing Palm
09-07-2003, 06:27 PM
I shall definitely do my best to set up personal meetings with various teachers and try to take a free class to see how I feel about the system. I will be sure to not sign any contracts unless I TRULY feel that this is the teacher/system for me. Thanks again. Peace :)

Searing Palm

Lin-Wu
09-08-2003, 04:12 PM
How are you,Searing Palm
I`m new to the martial arts as well (4 months),but I thought I could show my opinion,which I think you will desagree,but know that I`m not saying with bad intentions or anything.First,I think you were not very clear about what you want on a martial arts style.There are several styles with the requisites you mentioned,including my own style (Yang Tai ji) that is centered on meditation.And second,you are too focused on offense,but I think most of the martial arts (even the external ones,I think) are about,or originated from,defense and methods that would cease combat without much "casualities".Again,I don`t garantee any of the information that`s written here and I`m just expressing my point of view,no negative criticism intended.See ya later and good luck trying to find your style!

Lin-Wu

Searing Palm
09-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Greetings and welcome to the forum as well :) You are absolutely correct that I was not very specific with my vernacular pertaining to the martial arts style(s) I'm seeking and I thank you for also emphasizing the defense approach as well as the meditation. I will do my best to balance each of these while I conduct my research. I wish you continued success and enlightment with Yang Tai Ji. Peace :)

Searing Palm

wujimon
09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
To me.. if you're looking for fajing training, then perhaps try to look into some chen taijiquan. They specifically train in the fajing aspect and how to use it in conjunction with the whipping motion of a relaxed waist/hip region.

In addition, chen also has a lot of elements of qinna and things as would other forms of taijiquan. Just look around and see what interests you.

good luck.
w.

Searing Palm
09-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Greetings Wujimon:

I actually studied Chen Tai Chi for a while and do recall some of the Fa-Jing aspects. Right now Bagua, Baji and Hapkido are at the top of my list with Eagle Claw and Praying Mantis close behind them. I'm arranging meeting times with different instructors/Sifu's to obtain a feel of the various martial arts. Peace :)

Searing Palm