PDA

View Full Version : Seeking knowledge and opinions

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Greetings fellow artists of both internal and external forms:

I am new to this forum and, like many of you, have a great interest in martial arts, though I've not been able to practice them much due to various aspects of life. However, I now have the time and drive to learn a martial art and am currently conducting research on various forms. One form I am interested in is Haipkido, and please forgive me if I have misspelled this. I do not like butchering names. In general, I am interested in martial arts forms that have a system of circular arm and hand movements that contain palm strikes, shoulder strikes and elbow strikes. For defense, I am in search of a system that utilizes various locks as well. In terms of kicking, I would like to learn to utilize kicks that are not only effective in real combat, but also enable me to enter, trap, counter and parry effectively.

I would like anyone to offer their opinion on what they believe to be a good martial arts form that provides these aspects. Please feel free to be completely honest. I am looking for an art that is less aesthetically pleasing and more effective in "real world" situations. One important aspect I am in search of is Fa-Jing. From what I have learned and observed, Fa-Jing is quite effective if used properly. The release of energy makes for an effective strike and I definitely want to learn this aspect. I thank you all for your time and appreciate any and all response. Peace unto you all :-)

Searing Palm

MasterKiller
09-05-2003, 10:03 AM
The first place to start is the options available in your area. It does no good to want to learn Pak Mei if the closest school is 200 miles away.

Do you know what schools are located within your range?

BentMonk
09-05-2003, 10:05 AM
SP - Based on your post, I would advise you to find a reputable Wing Chun school. I'm in KY so I know zilch about MA in Cali. From the way you described your preferred fighting methods, and what you hope to gain from study, I think Wing Chun would be what you're looking for. I hope I helped a little. Peace & Happy Training.

norther practitioner
09-05-2003, 10:07 AM
I am looking for an art that is less aesthetically pleasing and more effective in "real world" situations. One important aspect I am in search of is Fa-Jing.
aesthetics have nothing to do with it.:D Especially when my opinion is that the release of energy is the most aestheticly pleasing thing in a good practitioners movement.....

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Hello and thanks for the very good point about the release of energy as being the aesthetically pleasing portion of martial arts. I have received some very good suggestions for research and I shall conduct that research thoroughly.

Bent Monk: Thank you for your insight as well. Wing Chun has been suggested to me and it seems to me that Wing Chun utilizes more of an in-line fighting style rather than circular, but I could be wrong lol I shall add this to the list of research and thank you for your opinion :-)

Master Killer (Love the name and the character lol):

That is part of my dilemma. There are many listed martial arts schools in the Bay Area, but then there are some that are not listed as well as teachers who are not listed that may prove to be better instructors than those at the schools. I shall keep you posted about what I find in case your run across someone who may be able to offer further insight along with yours.

Peace to you all and thanks again for taking time to assist me :-)

Searing Palm

CaptinPickAxe
09-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

You should have no problem finding a great school if your in the Bay Area. Go to a Martial Arts supply school and usually they have a list of schools that aren't in a phone book. Good luck with your search. Your going to love Martial Arts, but don't be surprised if you don't find your MA on the first try.

count
09-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Bagua is what you need. I'm sure there is good bagua all over California, especially around SF and the Bay area. If you were down here in the LA area I could be a lot more helpful. Welcome to the forum.
:)

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Count:

Thanks for the welcome to the forum as well as your input about Bagua. It seems that Bagua, Baji, and Hapkido are near the top of my list though Eagle Claw still has me looking. I have seen Bagua for performance purposes and do admit that it has the kind of movement and strikes I'm looking for. Are there locks in Bagua? I've not seen that as of yet. Again, I thank you. Peace :-)

Searing Palm

Searing Palm
09-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Greetings:

Thank you for the welcome :) I did not consider visiting a martial arts supply store for further school and teacher listings. That's an excellent idea that I shall definitely investigate further. I'm sure it will take me some time to locate a good school or teacher for whichever style I settle with, at least for some time, but I will make sure that I feel I've made the correct decision. Thanks again and be well. Peace :D

Searing Palm

count
09-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Why don't you go by Adam Hsu's classes. You can get a good feel for bagua and baji. Adam's web site is http://adamhsu.com/ . I think his classes are mostly run by Dan Farber. http://adamhsukungfusf.homestead.com/Index.html .
Bagua is a close to no range system as is baji. Bagua is mostly about locks and throws but uses everything at hand. Fists, palms, elbows, knees, kicks and whatever is closest. Bagua has the fajing I think your thinking of and more. It's main unique characteristic is the footwork and stepping methods. It uses the ko bu and bai bu, inside and outside steps as kicks, traps, sweeps and locks. It uses the entire lower basin for striking in unison with upper basin sticking, adhering, borrowing and locking. Energy comes from the spine twisting and bowing. It's always changing. I just read your description of what you were looking for in a fighting method and thought your were talking about bagua. If you ever get down to LA look us up. You can get a feel for Baji/Piqua, Bagua, Hsing-i, Taiji, Mantis and longfist. Visitors are always welcome to try it out.

MaFuYee
09-05-2003, 10:07 PM
go watch a class at every school in your area.

if u go to one school a day, after 2-3 weeks you should have a really good idea of what's out there, and u'll have a better feel for each school based on your own observations, rather than hearsay.

and just because u decide to sign up for classes at a school does not mean u are bound forever to remain at that school.

take classes for a while, and then try another school, etc. until you find one that is just right for u.

don't worry about "wasted time", learning one style for a few months and then 'discarding' everything you learned when u join another school, because all knowledge is portable. - just don't make the mistake of trying to bring the old stuff with you. - concentrate on one thing at a time. - start at each school with as a blank slate, an empty cup. - nobody like the guy who always says, "well, when in such and such style, we do things this way...."

exploration is fun, and a good way to learn. - enjoy the journey.

greendragon
09-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Just an idea, try to find "combat hapkido". it will be teaching practical techniques without all the korean protocol.
Fa-Jing however is usually associated with Tai Chi and will take you quite a while to learn, first you must learn to relax.
And yes, PaKua for circular moves and joint locking, chin-na etc.

Serpent
09-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Choy Lee Fut!

Choy Lee Fut!

Choy Lee Fut!

:D

Serpent
09-07-2003, 05:37 PM
In general, I am interested in martial arts forms that have a system of circular arm and hand movements - CHECK

that contain palm strikes - CHECK

shoulder strikes - CHECK

and elbow strikes - CHECK

For defense, I am in search of a system that utilizes various locks as well - CHECK

In terms of kicking, I would like to learn to utilize kicks that are not only effective in real combat, but also enable me to enter, trap, counter and parry effectively - CHECK

And that's only scratching the surface. CLF all the way! ;)

Black Jack
09-07-2003, 05:53 PM
Plus whatever you pick make sure you find a teacher you are comfortable with. Someone who will drive you to better yourself in what you are looking for.

Ask about his background and viewpoints, don't be afraid to ask questions even if they seem stupid to you, a good teacher IMO will not shy away from wanting to talk shop and make sure you and he will be a match.

Cheers

Searing Palm
09-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Greetings Serpent, GreenDragon, MaFuYee, and Count:

I can not extend enough thanks to each and every one of you for your outstanding input, information and insight :) Serpent, I am not at all familiar with Choy Lee Fut, however, seeing that you have confirmed with "checks" all of the aspects I'm in search of, I'll definitely investigate that style further. Is there a teacher or school you can recommend in the San Francisco Bay Area? Just curious. Does Choy Lee Fut contain fa-jing within its system? I've been informed that ALL forms have fa-jing, but I'm curious if you have personally experienced this within this form.

GreenDragon, I shall definitely investigate combat Hapkido, especially since you mention the lack of Korean Protocol ;)

MaFuYee, I am doing just that: Setting up various times during the week to personally speak with various instructors and see their system of teaching in practice which will help me obtain a much better idea of what is occurring.

Count, thanks SO much for that website. I know how to get to that class site and will try to setup a metting with Sifu Hsu, if that is possible. I'll keep all of you posted because you have all offered me excellent insight and I want to share what knowledge I acquire with all of you. Peace :)

Searing Palm

Searing Palm
09-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Hello Black Jack :)

Trust me, I will ask plenty of questions of whatever Sifu I'm able to get a hold of. They'll probably think I'm a roving reporter or something lol Peace

Searing Palm

Serpent
09-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Are you anywhere near Arcadia, Fresno or Bakersfield? I don't know the US that well.

If so, check this out:

http://www.choyleefut.us/

Otherwise, a web search will provide heaps of CLF info and schools I'm sure.

:)

Searing Palm
09-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Fresno, Arcadia and Bakersfield are all basically a three-hour drive away from me lol I'll inspect the website and see what I can uncover. Thanks for the information and I love the Cornholio picture :)

Searing Palm

Serpent
09-08-2003, 08:16 PM
I need TP for my bung hole.