PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Flexability

bodhitree
09-05-2003, 12:16 PM
What are the best ways for strength and flexability to coexist?
All opinions welcomed, thank you!

Ford Prefect
09-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Never be more flexable than you need to be. An excess of flexability may lead to injury. On the other side of the coin, too little flexability will definately lead to injury and you're more likely to have too little than too much. You'd be surprised how flexible Olympic lifters and powerlifters are. It's just another peice of the puzzle.

Ming Yue
09-07-2003, 08:05 AM
An excess of flexability may lead to injury.

help me understand that statement, Ford. do you mean being overflexible without the musculature to support it? I have a hard time imagining what it is to be "too flexible". I thought being very flexible helped to prevent injury?

Cheese Dog
09-07-2003, 10:05 PM
I have read that too much flexibility can cause lax joints, which are more likely to be injured. Don't personally know if it's true though, most people I know are too stiff, rather than too flexible.

method man
09-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by bodhitree
What are the best ways for strength and flexability to coexist?
All opinions welcomed, thank you!

best way very simple DO BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford Prefect
09-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Ming Yue

help me understand that statement, Ford. do you mean being overflexible without the musculature to support it?

Exactly. Aquiring strength at the extreme ranges of flexability is almost impossible to train. The only possible way to gain strength at these ranges is through isomtric contractions since using resistance in such extreme ROM's would lead to joint injury.

Since strength can't be built in these ranges, then accidentally putting yourself into a circumstance where you could be in this position can be very hazardous. Every strength trainer for every athletic endeavor out there has a set flexability for their clients where going beyond that point could be detrimental to performance and health.

Most people don't even have enough flexability to lift weights properly though, so this really only comes in up advanced athletic training or naturally limber trainees.

Ming Yue
09-08-2003, 10:52 AM
thanks!