PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Wing Chun?

kvn822
09-05-2003, 09:20 PM
I currently train in Northern Shaolin. With it's low sweeps, high
spinning kicks and long stances, it's great for fittness but might
not be practical for self-defense in restricted places. For this
reason I'm considering switching to Wing Chun or maybe Hung
Gar. Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

Ng Mui
09-06-2003, 04:35 AM
Switching will teach you the merits of Wing Chun or reinforce your belief in your original martial art........ either way you win.
Also KVN822, If you ask if you should switch to Wing Chun, in a Wing Chun forum, the answer will always be......Yes.

kj
09-06-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by kvn822
Gar. Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

Those seem reasonable and appropriate considerations.

If you are still young, healthy, relatively large, inherently strong, and/or intent on more athletic attributes in training or application, you might enjoy pursuing Hung Ga. Oh, and I forgot to mention, endowed with more physical beauty. :D

For my money, (and more importantly, my time investment), Wing Chun is far more practical for most mere mortals, and will serve more reliably through the duration of our lifetimes. In other words, an equally good investment in the near term, and perhaps a more reliable investment for the long term. (This is a generalization, naturally.) Wing Chun is based on optimizing mechanical advantage (among other things) and less reliant on physical attributes of the individual.

Having said that, an equally key consideration, if not a more important one, should be to find the best teacher you can. IMNSHO. Others have heard me say, many times and despite risks of heresy, that I'd rather study a different martial art under an excellent instructor, than my preferred art with poor or mediocre instruction.

If you're uncertain about your better path, it may be prudent to try some lessons in each. That may enable you to better evaluate which art(s) and instruction methods best suit your personal training preferences, needs, and values.

It is furthermore my strong opinion that one should not choose a martial art based primarily on distance from home or magnitude of fees. Convenience alone is hardly sufficient to offset the sweat equity and the time investment of the serious learner.

Nonetheless, as Ng Mui astutely pointed out, your final choice should of course be Wing Chun. :D:D:D

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

yuanfen
09-06-2003, 07:29 AM
KJ is right as usual--- the best teacher is more important than what art you pick.

ng mui is only partly correct.

I for one generally and more often than not DISCOURAGE people from taking wing chun.

Finding top flight innstruction is not easy and -it takes considerable dedication to learn wing chun well.

Phenix
09-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Gar. Any opinions?

Thanks!!!

I train in WCK and I love to use continous low round horse kicks to sweep away those who don't know how to stand as Kyokushin had taught me. I love to use the fast front push kicks and flying knee which Muay Thai has taught me to nail those who use Tan Da to attack. I walk into one who sweep me with round horse kick and throw people off if they rush in with push kick.as WCK has taught me. so what do I train? what do I don't train? or there is nothing good or bad just train and train....?

kj
09-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
what do I don't train? or there is nothing good or bad just train and train....?

I can agree with this in a sense.

I would caution the casual reader from interpreting this as an advocation to train without discretion and without a high degree of criticalness (in this instance, not to be confused with emotional "judging").

Hendrik can of course correct me on his meaning, especially if he does indeed advocate to train without any discrimination whatsoever. I am challenged to believe, that he acquired his own skill from being haphazard and indiscriminate. To the contrary, I suspect there was a great deal of discipline required. Even proper experimentation, inquiry, or observation demands a certain type of discipline.

How unfortunate to invest time training haphazardly or in an ad hoc fashion, with commensurately little yield.

To me, it is extremely important, even essential to be highly critical. That is, critical in the sense of considered and careful evaluation and technical judgment.

Still, this needs to be an endless process of discovery, and an endless cycle of evaluating and reevaluating, rather than accepting today's seemingly excellent conclusion as the ultimate, eternal, and soley correct one. Time, context or experience can lend us new insights, resulting in different conclusions. If our conclusions happen to stand the test of continuous and sincere re-evaluations and time, then how convenient.

Being critical in an emotional sense is more of a hazard, IMHO. For example feeling or saying to ourselves "this is good and that is bad," (as I believe Hendrik is suggesting) is different than saying "this is what it is, with thus and such noted advantages and disadvantages."

If we swing too far in extremes in discipline, or even in perspectives, we can lose balance and inadvertently frustrate our own ends. (Assuming, of course, there is any merit to having ends at all; but that is an altogether different discussion. ;))

Just some thoughts, and hoping I haven't butted in too much, or taken things too far off course.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Train
09-06-2003, 03:22 PM
KJ,

Always enjoy reading your posts.
Well said! :)

Phenix
09-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Being critical in an emotional sense is more of a hazard, IMHO. For example feeling or saying to ourselves "this is good and that is bad," (as I believe Hendrik is suggesting) is different than saying "this is what it is, with thus and such noted advantages and disadvantages."

If we swing too far in extremes in discipline, or even in perspectives, we can lose balance and inadvertently frustrate our own ends. (Assuming, of course, there is any merit to having ends at all; but that is an altogether different discussion. ) ---kJ

KJ,

Agree.

IMHO, learning N Shaolin is great. by learning it one knows how the high jumping kicks are deliver. ... Learning WCK is great, by learning it one knows how a inch punch is deliver. ...

learning is about growing. but growing is not about "eating without chewing and don't know what the taste is."

kvn822
09-06-2003, 09:35 PM
I appreciate all the responses! Maybe I should have included that I'm not real young (40ish) and with limited flexablity (tight hamstrings) makes some of the high kicks alittle difficult. I asked in the Wing Chun forum hoping for a comparison of the two (or
maybe I kind of made up my mind :D). From what I've read WC
seems more practicial than the slightly dramatic NS, but equal in
the skill and dedication required to learn them.
Thanks again for your insights, they are enlightening!

k

kj
09-07-2003, 08:33 AM
K,

With the possible exception of some individual philosophies and training approaches, Wing Chun is perfectly suited to people who are middle aged and beyond, IME. Generally speaking, we don't rely on youthful strength and athleticism, and it can be practiced in a manner which is practical in all respects for those of us past perceptions of immortality.

In terms of flexibility, Wing Chun does not demand the same degree as some more athletic arts (as you mention). At the same time, it will help to increase certain areas of flexibility, and also improve one's ability to remain relaxed and poised, even under tremendous pressure.

Thinking on the martial arts which retain an emphasis on practical fighting application, it is challenging for me to think of another with as much potential for serving me through the years ahead. I was just shy of 40 when I began Wing Chun. It has and continues to be an extremely practical undertaking, with richness and reward surpassing my imagination as the years pass.

The view from where I stand, anyway.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Ultimatewingchun
09-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Kvn822:

Low sweeps are good, but spinning moves and long range fighting are not .....very practical.

Wing chun (especially Traditional Wing Chun) is great stand-up striking and kicking with the major emphasis being infighting...which is the way to go in terms of practicality in today's world.

But further advice would be to find a capable Wing Chun instructor
who either ALSO teaches some form of grappling; or, at the very least, is not opposed to his students learning grappling...Because the truth is that real, practical fighting skills have to include all possible confrontation scenarios: ie. striking, kicking, grabbing, takedowns, grabbling, etc.

CarlDouglas108
09-08-2003, 10:27 AM
I've just sent you a PM.

Regards

CD

canglong
09-08-2003, 12:21 PM
If you get a chance to visit the Ving Tsun Museum I highly recommend it but if you can't just give them a call for assistance in finding a good school near you. wingchun.org (http://www.wingchun.org/text/schools/usa/oh.html) This is a good link to aide your search as well. Good luck.

kvn822
09-08-2003, 07:43 PM
I really appreciate all the input! Your replies confirm my thoughts
on switching, such as...

Low sweeps are good, but spinning moves and long range fighting are not .....very practical.

In terms of flexibility, Wing Chun does not demand the same degree as some more athletic arts (as you mention). At the same time, it will help to increase certain areas of flexibility, and also improve one's ability to remain relaxed and poised, even under tremendous pressure

Thanks again for taking the time to give your oppinions!:D

Kevin

Stevo
09-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
Kvn822:

Wing chun (especially Traditional Wing Chun) is great stand-up striking and kicking with the major emphasis being infighting...which is the way to go in terms of practicality in today's world.

Stand-up striking, kicking, emphasis on infighting. Generic to Wing Chun, not specific to TWC.

lotus kick
09-12-2003, 08:32 AM
I really appreciate all the input! Your replies confirm my thoughts
on switching, such as...
Thanks again for taking the time to give your oppinions!:D

Kevin

dude, it your life. don't bother with what other's think. if you FEEL switching is a good idea, then do it.